LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Superchips for Ls4s

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
What exactly does turning off DOD do for driveability improvement? Is it so you legitimately feel like you're wasting fuel in your big 'ol v8?

Sarcasm aside, what benefits make you so happy to remove dod other than potential cam upgrades that DOD inhibit? I just don't see any kind of a performance gain this could have on the car.
Try it Mikey you'll like it.

From what I read city MPG gets better with DOD turned off. In DOD mode the fuel map for the 4 cylinders running is 2x that of when all 8 are running.

I hate the sound & the decrease in power when in 4 cylinder mode.

You have to drive the car with DOD off to really appreciate it. Seeing that my Son's 2000 SS Camaro gets 27mpg on the highway I don't see me losing too much mileage with DOD off. Time will tell.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Heslekrants
Try it Mikey you'll like it.

From what I read city MPG gets better with DOD turned off. In DOD mode the fuel map for the 4 cylinders running is 2x that of when all 8 are running.

I hate the sound & the decrease in power when in 4 cylinder mode.

You have to drive the car with DOD off to really appreciate it. Seeing that my Son's 2000 SS Camaro gets 27mpg on the highway I don't see me losing too much mileage with DOD off. Time will tell.
Yes the sound does suck...but the switch to 8 cylinder mode is negligible and shouldn't impact performance in general.

I always wondered if some of the claims of better mileage was due to DOD on and off from stop and go traffic...I might have to run some experiments. I know for a fact that I get better highway miles with DOD enabled.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

I know for a fact that I get better highway miles with DOD enabled.
My next trip to the beach I will leave the DOD off just to see but I do plan to turn DOD back on if I go on any long trips. Just a 5 minute change with the Cortex tuner.

Yes the sound does suck...but the switch to 8 cylinder mode is negligible and shouldn't impact performance in general.
The switch from 4 to 8 happens quick but the delay really bugs me probably more than it should.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Hexx,

If you sell it, I might know someone who will buy it. PM me if you ever want to get it off your hands.

As for HP, its a great product if you know what your doing. If not and if it was my car, I would just get a tune from Vector Motorsports.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

is the sc cortex good?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by williamGT
is the sc cortex good?
It's not as good as a custom tune but I don't have the time to learn how to tune with HP. I like knowing that I can put the factory tune back in whenever I want.

I'm happy with the improved drivability it has given my car. I'm still waiting for the 93 Tune & gear ratio adjustment that is coming.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always wondered if some of the claims of better mileage was due to DOD on and off from stop and go traffic...I might have to run some experiments. I know for a fact that I get better highway miles with DOD enabled.

I lost 2-3mpg overall by turning my AFM off. That was with 70% city driving. My DIC was reading 14.0mpg ( I was netting about 14.5mpg )

After I turned AFM back on, DIC is happy reading 19.3mpg - calculating at the pump at 18.9mpg - but that was with about 50% city driving, with a 670 mile trip that included a trip tp the 1/4 mile.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not as good as a custom tune but I don't have the time to learn how to tune with HP. I like knowing that I can put the factory tune back in whenever I want.

I'm happy with the improved drivability it has given my car. I'm still waiting for the 93 Tune & gear ratio adjustment that is coming.
thanks for the info.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

I was one of those guinee pigs who's car they used for the Cortex. I'm happy with the product, yes it could be better but thats why they have updates. They actually called me a few months ago to get my car for more testing but unfortunately I was out of town with the car.

You cant beat a CUSTOM tune but most dont have the time to learn and do it them selves.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

With DOD off I got 28.6 mpg on a 4hr round trip to the beach and there is some mountain driving involved.

I'm still happy with the Cortex but I'm still waiting for the next update.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

I cant get the 0-60 or 1/4mile to work on my Cortex. thats the only problem/complaint i have.... does yours work?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CooterXJ
I cant get the 0-60 or 1/4mile to work on my Cortex. thats the only problem/complaint i have.... does yours work?
I haven't tried it yet but I'm headed back to the track soon & I want to compare it to real times so I guess I need to practice with the Cortex.

Quick Reply: Superchips for Ls4s