LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tapshift

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapshift

does anyone else do this? i use my tap shift alot. especially with my cutout open. coming off the highway at 50 and down shift to 2nd it sounds badass. then i down shift to 1st at around 25. do you guys think this will hurt the tranny at all? im thinking why did they put it there in the first place if we werent suppose to use it. i just hope its built tough enough
Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd imagine the computer wouldn't let you down shift if it was unsafe under those circumstances. Like if you were going 100 I doubt it would do anything if you tried to downshift into first. But, I don't have a GXP so I can't be sure.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

I use mine all the time too - reduces break wear, but I wonder if I'm doing more harm than good. I back down to first usually around 35 or so, the rpm's are usually around 3500 which seems well within engine tolerance. I have inadvertantly tried to downshift into first at a higher speed, but the computer just beeps and stays in 2nd. If you slow the beep down it says, "what were you thinking, retard?" The same beep sounds when you try to upshift too quickly as well.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

mines for brake wear also, plus it sounds cool. i bet it wouldnt hurt getting a better motor mount so the torque doesnt come into play when down shifting.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrandMan
I use mine all the time too - reduces break wear, but I wonder if I'm doing more harm than good.
Last time I did brakes on a W-body I paid $65 for GM pads, compared to $2500 to have your tranny rebuilt?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you slow down normally any transmission down shifts regardless, in our case sans the 2-1 band for engine braking. So with that said have at it. I wish 1st was available at like 35-40 MPH or so....probably would break the wheels free or somthing.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never logged my tranny shifting, but mine doesn't drop into 1st while braking. Today while driving around town, it would only go into 1st when I came to a complete stop or floor the car out of a rolling stop.

I think these guys are talking about dropping their car into 1st, like what you would do with a manual.

Seems really aggressive to me ...
Old 07-29-2008, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

1 do it all the time im my car 35mph is the number that it wont let you downshift past and it does sound bad *** my wife put the car in second and still beat me in my colorado it was a sad day
Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Cool

Originally Posted by ucquality
does anyone else do this? i use my tap shift alot. especially with my cutout open. coming off the highway at 50 and down shift to 2nd it sounds badass. then i down shift to 1st at around 25. do you guys think this will hurt the tranny at all? im thinking why did they put it there in the first place if we werent suppose to use it. i just hope its built tough enough
I haven't used my 'TAPShift' at all in this car. At least not yet. I did use it a lot in the cars that I was test driving prior to buying mines almost 4 weeks ago. My wife uses it all the time. I'll eventually use it. I'm having fun doing other things to the car. I'll let you know when I finally use it.

Hey, don't laugh at me. lol
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ucquality
Where I am from only the RICERS purposely shift a computer controlled automatic just to attract attention or to sound 'badass'.

Might as well go on and put a big wing and a bunch of stickers on it while your are at it.

Last edited by OEM_TA; 08-04-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Please don't enjoy your cars. It's not cool.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OEM_TA
Where I am from only the RICERS purposely shift a computer controlled automatic just to attract attention or to sound 'badass'.

Might as well go on and put a big wing and a bunch of stickers on it while your are at it.
Using the shifter has a few advantages on a automatic for starters when you are digging into the throttle and letting the computer control it for you if you let off the throttle it will shift into its next gear thinking you are done with your acceleration if you use the shifter to hold it into gear you don't have to worry about your pedal posistion and the computer shifting when you don't want to. Not to mention theres been times i've been in over drive and floored it it will only downshift into 3rd but if you move the shifter you can put it into a higher rpm range in 2nd which makes a big diffrence. Of course the computer wont let you shift into a gear that will overrev it so instead of fumbling around i just grab it and put it all the way into first.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Using the shifter has a few advantages on a automatic for starters when you are digging into the throttle and letting the computer control it for you if you let off the throttle it will shift into its next gear thinking you are done with your acceleration if you use the shifter to hold it into gear you don't have to worry about your pedal posistion and the computer shifting when you don't want to. Not to mention theres been times i've been in over drive and floored it it will only downshift into 3rd but if you move the shifter you can put it into a higher rpm range in 2nd which makes a big diffrence. Of course the computer wont let you shift into a gear that will overrev it so instead of fumbling around i just grab it and put it all the way into first.
I fully understand and agree that there are appropriate times that manually shifting an automatic is beneficial. However in this instance, if you look at the OP's statements " i use my tap shift alot. especially with my cutout open. coming off the highway at 50 and down shift to 2nd it sounds badass."

You will see that he is manually shifting just to make noise and sound as he puts it 'badass'. That type activity is RICE in the purest sense of the definition. That's what prompted my comments about big wing and stickers.

Those of us who truly have a 'badass' ride seldom try and attract attention to ourselves. Those who try hard with the "look at me" activities are merely posers and wind up making problems for the rest of us.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Launching!

I can't speak for the OP but when I do things like that its largely for my amusement not the douche nozzles around me. But I guess I'm just a little kid inside.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OEM_TA
I fully understand and agree that there are appropriate times that manually shifting an automatic is beneficial. However in this instance, if you look at the OP's statements " i use my tap shift alot. especially with my cutout open. coming off the highway at 50 and down shift to 2nd it sounds badass."

You will see that he is manually shifting just to make noise and sound as he puts it 'badass'. That type activity is RICE in the purest sense of the definition. That's what prompted my comments about big wing and stickers.

Those of us who truly have a 'badass' ride seldom try and attract attention to ourselves. Those who try hard with the "look at me" activities are merely posers and wind up making problems for the rest of us.
I'm sure most of us here in this hobby have the particular vehicle we own because we chose it for enjoyment right? I don't know about you but part of that enjoyment is hearing the sweet exhaust tone from that V8. I could care less what people think, if I'm in the middle of no where or in the city, I just love how my car sounds. While I agree that certainly people do such things to attract attention and feel "badass" its most definitely not the case for everyone, nor a "ricer" action by definition.

All within reason, I'm not going to drive down a crowded city street in 1st screaming at 4k rpm's open cutout. We're talking sensible enjoyment here
Old 08-05-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red03GT
I'm sure most of us here in this hobby have the particular vehicle we own because we chose it for enjoyment right? I don't know about you but part of that enjoyment is hearing the sweet exhaust tone from that V8. I could care less what people think, if I'm in the middle of no where or in the city, I just love how my car sounds. While I agree that certainly people do such things to attract attention and feel "badass" its most definitely not the case for everyone, nor a "ricer" action by definition.

All within reason, I'm not going to drive down a crowded city street in 1st screaming at 4k rpm's open cutout. We're talking sensible enjoyment here
x2...