LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

K&N Owners check engine bay for holes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Owners check engine bay for holes.

Ok I've had the K&N for a year. Been through rain snow never had a problem.
Yesterday there was a storm here. I got caught in it while driving.
I was going through small streets that looked like rivers, prolly 2-3 inches of water on the ground and at times puddles which were deeper. I experienced no problems. Got home safe. Rain stopped I had to check a few things under the hood. oil level, coolant, etc... I pop the Hood low and behold the Cone filter is visibly wet like half of it is darker and soaked looking. The TCM had some water on it and a bit above the tcm toward the firewall the metal was wet. Well after further examination I found that there is a hole prolly 1/4 inch high and an inch wide. If you open the hood turn your wheels to the left and look in the driver side wheel well you could see in the engine bay. It looked like the sheet metal was not pressed/welded there whatever they do to it. I used some silicone paste to fill the hole. Cleaned the engine bay, TCM, Cone Filter(did not over oil it LOL) So far so good no problems with the car will see how it goes. Maybe I'll snap a pic of where the hole is to give you an idea what I am blabbering about, but that wont be till tonight.
When installed the K&N I used a hose and sprayed the hood, grill, head lights to see if I have any leaks. Never though to look at the wheel well. Anyways I am sure this has occurred before in the year I have had it on the car so not too worried about it. Maybe getting the dry-charger might be small insurance. Anyone have that on their K&N?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Please snap a pic. Now I want to go check my car out.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Here is the dry charger I was talking about it slips on top of the cone filter there are 4 colors: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=RF-1048DK

Here are the pics:

Red circle marks where the hole is in the engine bay it is sideways so you cant see the hole but that is the location, before I filled it I could almost stick my pinky in there and I could see it while looking in the wheel well.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a fluke. I live in cedar rapids, iowa. . . you know the place that just got the crap flooded out of it. For days I was driving through 1-6 inch high water and never had any in the engine bay or on my filter. . .. probably a good thing to check though.