LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Just got my Hooker mufflers on

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got my Hooker mufflers on

I just got my hooker aerochamber mufflers installed, Its not loud as (Count of Monte Carlo)exhaust, It could be the stock tips on my 08 GP GXP there small.
Does it take time to break it in?
Heres a video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xas8TwQtg0E

Before: stock mufflers without resonator.
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...85922052&hl=en
Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those sound good! My wife even likes them.

-Mike
Old 08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

any muffler takes time to break in, it should get a little louder
Old 08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like they lined it up perfectly, no rasp either, that particular start up sounds good too Yeah your tail pipes seem to be a doubled up version of the stock monte pipes. I know Gibson has a rectangle slash cut pipe that would get the sound out better. You will want a tail pipe that is a bit larger than the pipe work you get a megaphone effect.BTW my mufflers took quite a while to break in.

I still want that license plate...

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 08-06-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Teching In

I just order mine yesterday hope to have them on next week. I can't wait. I also got the Gibson tips
Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered some new tips, same ones I had on my 02 Grand Am GT.
Attached Thumbnails Just got my Hooker mufflers on-img_0004.jpg   Just got my Hooker mufflers on-img_0001.jpg  
Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well just remember that if the ID on the tail pipe is the same size as the exaust pipe then you will mute the sound the same way as the stock tips do.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
Well just remember that if the ID on the tail pipe is the same size as the exaust pipe then you will mute the sound the same way as the stock tips do.
The tips that I ordered is 2.25ID and the output is little over 3inches X2....I had a borla cat-back on my 02 GAGT and I changed the borla tips to Grand Prix tips (the one that I just ordered) it was louder, because the borla tips was like the GXP tips, it has baffles in them.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if thats the case then you should be fine. I was only saying because they look like they might be either resonated tips or like 2.25 ID till the near end of the tip like the stockers. Because when I put my tips on they amplifed the sound pretty well being thin walled and non resonated. In fact I was kinda of surprised I got that much of a volume change. And then the mufflers broke in finaly and got even louder
Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah there not resonated tips, the Inlet diameter is 2.25 and 4inches into the tip is little over 3inches X2.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!! I just took off my stock GXP tips and the exhaust got loud, I mean really loud, so I hope my new tips makes it a little bit quiter.

Loud that my panels viberate. and sounds sweet.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hahahahaha See See See??????lol
Old 08-08-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, I got my tips today, I just have to wait to get them installed, I hope it will quite down a little.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the exhaust is toooooo LOUD, and I lost alot of low end torque, so tomorrow I'll be ordering the Magnaflow cat-back system.
I will post a for sale thread for 110.00 shipped for both hooker aerochamber mufflers, it has the hangers welded on.

Thanks count on monte carlo for your help
Old 08-09-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem. IMHO if you like the sound of a setup then you should endulge in it, but you also don't want your neighbors to leave notes on your car telling you to cork it up so at least you tried As far as the bottom end is concerned I never noticed anything different till I switched back from the 3 inch down pipe to the stocker, but every car is different.

But at least we proved something for sure, that the stock tips definately quiet the system down some.

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 08-09-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my thoughts, loud pipes save lives , another thought of mine, **** the nieghbors, my nieghbors complained all the time when we had the dragster, injected bbc, and me doing burn outs in the alley didnt help much either but **** em`!!!!
my other car is loud as hell too, **** my nieghbors!!! yours too!!
Old 08-09-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its just not the nieghbors, the exhaust is way too loud that it hurts my ears, And I get headaches everyday from it, I want my car a little more faster, magnaflow is dyno proven for 7hp and 9lbtorque.

I think I'll be happy for the magnaflow, I have a friend that is in Edmonton Alberta now, there is one in stock at Mopac auto store $688.91 total (Remember I'm in Canada) and They come back home to Yellowknife on monday and I'm off work on monday,tuesday,wednesday and thursday.....I love my job, 4 on 4 off
Old 08-09-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I picked mine up from Mopac a couple of months ago, and finally got around to installing it today.

A couple of things you'll want to keep in mind before you start:

1. Pick up a new gasket for between the cat and the MF, the kit doesn't include one.

2. Get a couple of 1.5 inch grade 8 bolts to bolt the MF to the cat flange. The kit doesn't include replacement hardware, the original studs have a round head and are pressed into the stock exhaust flange. They don't press into the MF flange and are a bitch to tighten. I'll be picking up new bolts tomorrow.

3. Consider pre-fitting the pipe to the back of the resonator, the one I got was not expanded enough to fit, and I wasted nearly 2 hours fixing that little problem.

4. Once you have everything lined up to your satisfaction, tack weld everything in place, I found that there was just too much movement with just the band clamps, so I get to realign everything again tomorrow and weld things in place.

Sounds mean though. My son and I like it, the wife just rolled her eyes

Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
I picked mine up from Mopac a couple of months ago, and finally got around to installing it today.

A couple of things you'll want to keep in mind before you start:

1. Pick up a new gasket for between the cat and the MF, the kit doesn't include one.

2. Get a couple of 1.5 inch grade 8 bolts to bolt the MF to the cat flange. The kit doesn't include replacement hardware, the original studs have a round head and are pressed into the stock exhaust flange. They don't press into the MF flange and are a bitch to tighten. I'll be picking up new bolts tomorrow.

3. Consider pre-fitting the pipe to the back of the resonator, the one I got was not expanded enough to fit, and I wasted nearly 2 hours fixing that little problem.

4. Once you have everything lined up to your satisfaction, tack weld everything in place, I found that there was just too much movement with just the band clamps, so I get to realign everything again tomorrow and weld things in place.

Sounds mean though. My son and I like it, the wife just rolled her eyes

Thanks for the input, I'll buy new bolts and a gasket, I hope GM has one.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by williamGT
Its just not the nieghbors, the exhaust is way too loud that it hurts my ears, And I get headaches everyday from it
Wheeewww...that's rough.....

Quick Reply: Just got my Hooker mufflers on