LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

06 Pontiac Gran Prix GXP or 06 Dodge Charger R/T?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 20SS07
It would be a drivers race. And I thought they had their own version of AFM? It will come down to whether you care about RWD or not. I'll probably get flamed but I'd go with the Charger. But for a 17 year old, I don't know that any fast car is the best idea.

As far as the Imp vs. GXP. Doesn't really matter. Whichever one you think looks better, and if you care about the few extra goodies you get with the GXP such as tapshift, etc.
as far as i recall the first year or two of the impalla ss v8 vs the gxp grand prix isnt as complete of a package. the whole concept of stuffing the v8 into a fwd car was given to the pontiac guys and the higher ups said-make it as good as you can. true the impala and monte carlo have a couple of the feature but as far as suspension and handling and control of torque steer goes the gxp has the advantage because not all of those parts were shared with the impala and monte right off the bat. they might be now though but i wouldnt get the first 2 years of the monte or impala over the gxp for that reason. and come on-the grand prix looks way cooler anyway especially if you put on that inferno ram air hood.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 AM

oh and im 21 and i drive a 95 bonneville with 286000 miles and my insurance rate is 90 bucks a month. and i been debating getting a gxp or a charger too. leaning towards the gxp because i live in south dakota (lots of snow and ice) and fwd is easier to drive in the winter than rwd....but im in love with the chargers lol. my gf has an srt-8 and loves how people are so scared of it and get out of her way lol. and ive been with her and people actually do do that. if your looking for a ton of respect...charger. steathyness-gxp. stealth is fun too hahaha.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

You may be really surprised by the GXP. It isn't too much slower than the SRT-8. People are running in the 13's stock with GXP's. GXP's weigh less and if she already has a Charger why not get the GXP? I am sure she'll let you drive the Charger. That way you'll have one of each. After you beat a few cars with the GXP, you'll have much respect.

-Mike
Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Calplaya
as far as i recall the first year or two of the impalla ss v8 vs the gxp grand prix isnt as complete of a package. the whole concept of stuffing the v8 into a fwd car was given to the pontiac guys and the higher ups said-make it as good as you can. true the impala and monte carlo have a couple of the feature but as far as suspension and handling and control of torque steer goes the gxp has the advantage because not all of those parts were shared with the impala and monte right off the bat. they might be now though but i wouldnt get the first 2 years of the monte or impala over the gxp for that reason. and come on-the grand prix looks way cooler anyway especially if you put on that inferno ram air hood.
The Imp and Monte never got that stuff, not that it would have mattered to me either way. Besides, most people that buy the Imp don't care about that stuff, that's why outside of forums most people that drive them are old people that just like the idea of being able to have a V8 Impala SS again. Doesn't even need to have that stuff either we all compare our cars to Chargers and other V8 cars when in reality cars like Camrys, etc. are the Imps competitors.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM did us a favor built a car we never thought would happen lets just be happy we got them and enjoy them every time we drive them..
Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have to agree there Panther. Even know I am having issues right now I still love this car.

-Mike
Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

The biggest area of difference between the vehicles in my view is cornering. I've been in a friend's Charger a few times and it just feels like a boat in the corners. Put the rudder over and hope for the best. On the flip though his car does feel more stable at straightline highspeeds. I'm the kind of guy that likes to go zip around curvy country roads so I prefer the GXP setup to the Charger, but to each their own.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think a 17 year old should get something with less power. These are adult sport cars and the power is very deceiving. Not saying I didnt have more then my share of fast cars in my youth, but these cars can get away from you if not carefull.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be too much of a car for a teen. If for no other reason then they are rare and id be afraid a teen wouldnt take care of it

Quick Reply: 06 Pontiac Gran Prix GXP or 06 Dodge Charger R/T?