LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

06 Pontiac Gran Prix GXP or 06 Dodge Charger R/T?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Pontiac Gran Prix GXP or 06 Dodge Charger R/T?

What advantages does the GXP have over the Charger and if anyone has driven both was there a big difference in performence between the two
Old 08-09-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

well for one, the gxp is fwd and the charger is a rwd, so the charger if probably more fun to drive. The 1/4 times are around the same, and mostly a drivers race. The interior is far better in the gxp in my opinion, and you get better gas milage.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Launching!

No manual yet for the charger. I don't even know if they are going to put a manual in it. I think only the challenger will get it. But there is also a 5k+ difference between the GXP and Charger R/T.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

chargers weight alot more
Old 08-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Teching In

In a race who guys hink would win?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Launching!

GXP will win by 2 or more cars from a dig
Old 08-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Would you guys recommend and Ipmala over the gxp. Also would this be a good car for a 17.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the aftermarket is HUGE for those cars, if i had a choice i would do the srt-8, drove one and my god is it fast, rwd 6.1 liters of pure power, none of this displacment on demand crap, from a body man`s eyes chrysler builds a better car ya know the whole benz-dodge merge
even when it ended still a great well built car, trannys are built better, but both are great cars, our car is just fwd nothing wrong with our cars at all i love my car, well built, fast, looks great, minus the problems i had, still a good car
for a 17 yr old?? i dunno thats your call, my car was owned by a teenager, and i should post a pic of the front wheels, the kid didnt know what he had and didnt take care of the car at all, and now its in good hands
Old 08-10-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think the Charger is a cool sedan, but I think I'd keep my monte carlo over it though. I like the whole "you have a v8, I didn't know they made those with v8s!"
Old 08-10-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by pro_performer
I think the Charger is a cool sedan, but I think I'd keep my monte carlo over it though. I like the whole "you have a v8, I didn't know they made those with v8s!"
Roger that, and the monte carlo is a really unique looking car on the road. Mine is debadged know and people are ALWAYS asking what it is.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

the aftermarket is HUGE for those cars, if i had a choice i would do the srt-8, drove one and my god is it fast, rwd 6.1 liters of pure power, none of this displacment on demand crap, from a body man`s eyes chrysler builds a better car ya know the whole benz-dodge merge
even when it ended still a great well built car, trannys are built better, but both are great cars, our car is just fwd nothing wrong with our cars at all i love my car, well built, fast, looks great, minus the problems i had, still a good car
for a 17 yr old?? i dunno thats your call, my car was owned by a teenager, and i should post a pic of the front wheels, the kid didnt know what he had and didnt take care of the car at all, and now its in good hands
the only downfall of the 6.1L is that its a bored 5.7L and the srt8 guys will be the first to admit you can't add huge power to it with out problems. I would bet that the our 5.3L blocks can handle more power then a 6.1l even if they come with more power.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

It would be a drivers race. And I thought they had their own version of AFM? It will come down to whether you care about RWD or not. I'll probably get flamed but I'd go with the Charger. But for a 17 year old, I don't know that any fast car is the best idea.

As far as the Imp vs. GXP. Doesn't really matter. Whichever one you think looks better, and if you care about the few extra goodies you get with the GXP such as tapshift, etc.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

As far as I think a 17 year old should not have a V8 think insurance for one and there lack of driving experience my 18 year old has my 1999 grand cherokee 4x4
Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mels SS
As far as I think a 17 year old should not have a V8 think insurance for one and there lack of driving experience my 18 year old has my 1999 grand cherokee 4x4
I can afford the insurance, but as far as experiance goes i do not have much. I do consider myself a pretty good driver, but then again i have had my license for 11 months.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

well if your 17 and only had your license for 11 months then u dont need 500 horsepower... this is right in between i'd say the gxp for performance. looks, features, but if you want that car to be a chick mobile your gonna need a bigger back seat. plus the gxp wont attract cop attention like a young kid driving an impala ss or a charger r/t would lol.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

what does the gxp do 0-60 in I am guessing 5.9, but i don't know looked on google and got a bunch of random times ranging from 5.5 to 6.7
Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StealthV8
the only downfall of the 6.1L is that its a bored 5.7L and the srt8 guys will be the first to admit you can't add huge power to it with out problems. I would bet that the our 5.3L blocks can handle more power then a 6.1l even if they come with more power.
sorry, but i respectfully disagree. i know a ton of guys that are putting the 6.1's in their trucks, one guy has a 6.1 bored over to a 6.4 with a supercharger and i believe he was in the process of getting a 2 stage NX kit put on it. it has tons and tons and TONS of power, very fast. those blocks are being used to create real monsters. heck, they are even boring the 5.7's. the biggest problem with them are the rear ends and the tranny. the tranny holds up decently to light modifications, but anything significant blows them apart.

krc just built a twin turbo challenger.....its pretty sweet, check it out if you got some spare time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1NLyRbmIA i want to see it run the 1/4.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silversurfer320
sorry, but i respectfully disagree. i know a ton of guys that are putting the 6.1's in their trucks, one guy has a 6.1 bored over to a 6.4 with a supercharger and i believe he was in the process of getting a 2 stage NX kit put on it. it has tons and tons and TONS of power, very fast. those blocks are being used to create real monsters. heck, they are even boring the 5.7's. the biggest problem with them are the rear ends and the tranny. the tranny holds up decently to light modifications, but anything significant blows them apart.

krc just built a twin turbo challenger.....its pretty sweet, check it out if you got some spare time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1NLyRbmIA i want to see it run the 1/4.
I could be wrong, it happens alot. I was just told by 3 different srt-8 owners at 3 different times that they are scared of putting a lot of power into it with out building up the internals.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by enjoijoe
what does the gxp do 0-60 in I am guessing 5.9, but i don't know looked on google and got a bunch of random times ranging from 5.5 to 6.7
Everyone is going to test them differently. Car and Driver got 5.7 sec. Although no one really looks at 0-60 anymore 1/4 mile is more important.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:47 PM

I get about 5 and a half on my 0-60 but like he said 1/4 times are becoming more important now days. also fyi i am 17 also. I wouldnt recommend a GXP unless you have prior experience driving something with some *****. they will get you killed quick. and even worse; you'll get a ticket in no time. so if you think you can take on the responsibility of having a 300 hp V8 then id say go for it. but i would def. not recommend it if you dont have experience. also just incase you wanted to know, my insurance is 300 bux a month and I have almost been drivng for a year and a half.

hope this helps

Quick Reply: 06 Pontiac Gran Prix GXP or 06 Dodge Charger R/T?