LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

shift kit vs. tranny tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift kit vs. tranny tune?

ok so ive got my shift kit here and ive got time to put it in this weekend. Before i do it though i have a question. What is better for firmer quicker shifts, a shift kit or a tune with upped line pressure etc?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

both will/should accomplish the same thing...

I've always heard to do one or the other - but not both - as it puts too much strain/pressure on the tranny and **** breaks...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Launching!

shift kit it is
Old 02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

i had both and loved it. a mild shift kit with a great hp tune. the car chirped 2nd when i went WOT but at normal driving shifted pretty much normal. i must have ran my car down a track about 60 times and beat the hell out of that leased vehicle. not one issue with any powertrain
Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

aaaahh, so YOU'RE the one... I THOUGHT someone around here had done both, but I couldn't remember who... hehe

anyway, just mentioning what I had seen/heard around several various forums... doesn't mean it's accurate... perhaps your "test" even makes it more reassuring that our trannies will hold up to more abuse with no ill affects... I gotta start romping on it some more...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
aaaahh, so YOU'RE the one... I THOUGHT someone around here had done both, but I couldn't remember who... hehe

anyway, just mentioning what I had seen/heard around several various forums... doesn't mean it's accurate... perhaps your "test" even makes it more reassuring that our trannies will hold up to more abuse with no ill affects... I gotta start romping on it some more...
Haha.....I've done both too.....
Old 02-21-2008, 10:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

nice!!

so there ARE possibilities of doing both without ill affects... sweet!!

so what have your guys experiences been?? better to do both, or just one??

Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What shift kit is better?
Old 02-22-2008, 05:54 AM
Teching In

I've done both as well.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

i had just the tune first for about 6 months and it had firmed up the shifting but still didnt chirp 2nd, so we put the shift kit in and had both in for over 1.5 years
Old 02-22-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Remember, a shift kit will make the trans shift quicker/better and may not be as noticeable with out a tune due to torque management... A "tranny tune" does not affect shifting other than increasing line pressure and is a vague expression. A tranny tune will affect torque management which decreases engine power (in various ways) before during and after the shift, not affecting the actual mechanical shift. I had a shift kit and a tune, the tune by cutting torque management in half (not getting rid of it) showed better gains than the shift kit. Actually had a tune, then installed a shift kit, then had to get the line pressure increased (via tuning) to stop a shudder in the 1-2 shift at wot. Would chirp the tires into 2nd, and chirped the tires more often down shifting. The shift kit showed the biggest gains to me by the almost instant and firmer down shifting, no hesitation. Also... some shift kits for rear dirvers actually advertise that the shift kit will be ineffective if a vehicle has torque management. Something to think about, but the moral is after all this rambling, do them both and you will be amazed in the diff over stock.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
Remember, a shift kit will make the trans shift quicker/better and may not be as noticeable with out a tune due to torque management... A "tranny tune" does not affect shifting other than increasing line pressure and is a vague expression. A tranny tune will affect torque management which decreases engine power (in various ways) before during and after the shift, not affecting the actual mechanical shift. I had a shift kit and a tune, the tune by cutting torque management in half (not getting rid of it) showed better gains than the shift kit. Actually had a tune, then installed a shift kit, then had to get the line pressure increased (via tuning) to stop a shudder in the 1-2 shift at wot. Would chirp the tires into 2nd, and chirped the tires more often down shifting. The shift kit showed the biggest gains to me by the almost instant and firmer down shifting, no hesitation. Also... some shift kits for rear dirvers actually advertise that the shift kit will be ineffective if a vehicle has torque management. Something to think about, but the moral is after all this rambling, do them both and you will be amazed in the diff over stock.
My HPT tune and ZZP SK really woke my car up....pair them with valvetrain mods that improve our sucky top-end, then you have a mean car.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

I have both and am quite pleased. I even asked my tuner and he highly recommended a shift kit to go along with the tune and also said it should increase the life of the tranny, which I have heard before.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why is the intense shift kit 79 and the zzp 29? which one is better?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

I thought the Intense was $120. Anyway they are designed differently but both do the same thing. IIRC the Intense kit uses springs and washers while the zzp kit uses plastic pieces which limit the travel of the pistons in the tranny. Bottom line is they both accomplish the same thing so I would get the zzp. Plus I trust zzp over intense anyday.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSWS6
I thought the Intense was $120. Anyway they are designed differently but both do the same thing. IIRC the Intense kit uses springs and washers while the zzp kit uses plastic pieces which limit the travel of the pistons in the tranny. Bottom line is they both accomplish the same thing so I would get the zzp. Plus I trust zzp over intense anyday.
Yeah intense gets a bad rap in the w-body world....I heard they screwed some people.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

what's the part number for the zzp shift kit?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CardinalsRed
what's the part number for the zzp shift kit?
Here is a link for it: https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=570&catid=105
Old 05-27-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Anybody have this?

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...ts1.php?id=547
Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Gotta love the error (when you click on your link, Emerson):

Sorry. There was some problem with the data.

Quick Reply: shift kit vs. tranny tune?