8.8 rear for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damian
Guys need also need to keep in mind just because an 8.8 is unbreakable in a 2900 lb Fox Body, doesn't mean a 3600 lb turd won't break it. Weight of the vehicle makes a BIG difference.
Exactly.

Also, an 8.8 in a Fox was designed for that car and hasn't had TQ brackets welded on, different axle tubes welded on, etc. So an 8.8 built, in a Fox or other Mustang isn't gonna be an apples to apples comparison in an F-body where MAJOR customization has been done with adding different pieces with new welds, etc.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welded in a jig, but are they straightened after they have been let to cool?
a tube bends when welded on.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:54 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Welded in a jig, but are they straightened after they have been let to cool?
a tube bends when welded on
No need. If the welding is done properly on pipe there is no pull. There is deflection but becasue its round it winds up back in the original position. Like I said though... if done properly. The jig i have is VERY accurate which holds them true so they are straight. I would be willing to say as straight as any one elses rears whether it be Strange, Moser whatever. These were done nicely not banged together which is my plan like I said. I want to build good stuff not "shade tree" style homemade junk. Heres a pic of the welds on the torque arm bracket as requested. This is from the first design and there have been inmprovements made to the second design that you will not see in this pic but at least you can get a gander at the welds.
Attached Thumbnails 8.8 rear for sale-8.8_ct_.jpg  
Old 03-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cam
... The jig i have is VERY accurate which holds them true so they are straight. ...
Could you show us a pic of the jig? I just don't know what one looks like and I'd be curious to see. I need to get a rearend shortened and it would be good info when I go looking for someone to do it. Perhaps also a pic w/a rear in the jig? Thanks. -Bob
Old 03-10-2005, 08:08 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Could you show us a pic of the jig? I just don't know what one looks like and I'd be curious to see. I need to get a rearend shortened and it would be good info when I go looking for someone to do it. Perhaps also a pic w/a rear in the jig? Thanks. -Bob
Man I would love to show it but figure since I'm not the only guy in this game and I worked so hard designing and building it I need to keep a few things private. I hope you can appreciate my position on that. Its a nifty set up though no doubt about that.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:43 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

TTT

Lots of tire kickers but a few live ones in the works so sooner or later we will get one of these things into one of your rides and beat the hell out of it. Sooner rather than later I hope.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:56 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Bump.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Default 8.8 sounds good

i'll be in the market this summer for one. got a few other things in the way first. i say its a good price,sounds reasonable.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:04 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Thanks man.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey Cam, im definately interested. But like the other guys since these haven't been really tested (other than by yourself) im a little weiry.

Im going to be purchasing a rear end within the next month. Would you shoot me a pm with a phone number or email address (or both)where i can reach you at? I would like to speak to you personally about the set up.

couple quick questions first
would you be able to put 4.30's in the rear?
what all would ihave to send you to make it a 4 channel rear?
Thanks Cam
Travis
Old 03-24-2005, 06:12 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Hi guys,

Okay first off one of the board members here has purchased a bare housing and it is underway as we speak so very soon there will be another voice to speak on behalf of what he thinks about my 8.8 and hes running tens in search of nines so it should be a real good test for one.

Travis. There is pretty much any gear ratio or any carrier type available for the 8.8 as its a very versatile rear. As for four channel no problem just costs more because you have to order the axles machined for the rings and likely purchase new rings too.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

How are the cast housings cleared of oil and grease?

The reason I ask is b/c cast materials, like these housing, are porous and will allow oil be absorbed into them. Oil in the housing can make for poor welding integrity. How do you clean/rid the housings of the possible oil in the porous casting?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:24 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I do clean them chemically and then sand blast them with glass bead and pre heat before welding. Oil impregnation problems are typically when the material has been immersed in oil. Cast may not be as dense as mild steel but it sure doesn't pass oil through it or they would sweat out all the lube and we would have to constantly refill them. If I were to weld on the inside where the lube is that would probably be a different story but its still doable.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:17 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Okay heres an updaye for you guys. I have two housings left and will still sell them for $1850 as listed above or even better yet if you want it bare to epuip it yourself for $850. Work has become very busy so I have not spent much time pursuing building these any further or sourcing out for different carriers etc. This following message is from URLOZN on the boards here who bought a bare housing and built it up himself. This is a direct quote from an email he sent me.

friday night
i went and ran it at a 600' track, just shy of an
1/8th mile track. car was cutting consistent 1.66-1.68
60' times on motor and then i began to put a 150
shot on it. the car was cutting consistent 1.51-1.52
60' times. and with the times i was running, it would
be equivalent to 10.4-10.6 in the quarter. and the
rear end was asking for more, that dam thing is
strong, and i was not spinning, i was dead hooking it
off the line. made about 11 passes friday night, 7 of
which were 150 shots off the line. and today i made 19
passes on a quarter mile track that was not prepped at
all. it was cutting 1.67-1.71 60' times on motor and
1.60 60' times on nitrous( 100 shot) consistent.
times were 11.0018@124.52mph and 11.04xx@123.86mph and
it was running consistent 11.7 and 11.8 on motor. and
the rear end is loving it, i have had a lot of
compliments on the rear end.

I have to say URLOZN is an excellent guy to deal with and I hope he gets a lifetime of use and abuse out of his 8.8 Thanks so much URLOZN!!!

Old 04-19-2005, 01:58 AM
11 Second Club

I can see why everybody would like to see these in action first. and a warranty on the welds would be good. don't want what happened to me to happen to anyone else.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
Extreme Chassis also takes 6 months to ship out their product too.

Cam, i'm very interested. I was running an EC 8.8 and sold it, but looking to get another one soon.

If your lucky

I was local and it took 4 weeks to get mine and that was me calling everyday.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Teching In

ok, i will let everyone know exactly what is in the rear end:
Bare 8.8 housing
31 spline moser axles with ABS/TCS
motive performance 4.10 gears
HD aluminaum rear cover
Detroit Truetrac 3 pinion planetary posi unit
1350 yoke
backlash was set at .007 and makes minimal noise, mostly on the coast side of the gear, but that is where the best pattern was.
i believe all together with everything i have in it, it weighed between 180-190lb total

AS for the install. the rear end went in with absolutely no problems, or complications, no adjustable LCA's, Stock panhard bar( went to an adjustable and it tightened the rear end up a lot) , stock torque arm( he uses 5/8" bolts for the torque arm, co i had to drill my torque arm out a little, but no problem) i am using my stock driveshaft, and my car is lowered 1.5 inches, it has no problems hitting anything underneath. only thing i had installed was the gears and the differential, i put everything else together and had to cut one axle down, cause i ordered them a little long, didn't want them short( i was paranoid, lol)
the times in the email, on a 600' track were 7.0x @ 88.4x on motor and 6.49@ 96.8x
i have a PY400E converter with a g5x2 cam and most bolt on's with a built tranny, and was on E.T. Streets and skinnies.
Mike(cam ) is an excellent person to deal with, and would not hesitate to deal with him again. anyone has any questions feel free to post up, cause if you want to know something, i am sure other's do too, and i will answer.
All in all, i am very happy with the rear end, am glad i went this route over a 12 bolt.
also any question i had, mike was there to answer it when i called him.
david
Old 04-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

I've had luck with mine that I bought from Craig a little over a year ago and its still holding up. 1.5's 60' at the track...5800 rpm lanches
Old 04-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Hmmm, that's not bad for a bare housing. I need to do some research on the rest of parts...
Old 04-26-2005, 02:13 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Bueler?... Bueler?... anyone?...anyone?

Red hots here. Git yer red hots here. I need coffee

Bump.

Quick Reply: 8.8 rear for sale