FS: Evans hgih flow water pump.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FS: Evans hgih flow water pump.

This pump only has 3k on it. I'm going with an electric setup, so I would like to get rid of it. Comes with the pump, Evans 160 degree thermostat and GM tensioner.

I can have pics tomorrow.

This is over 600 dollars worth of cooling, i'd like to get 400 shipped.

PS: Define irony. A water pump that will not accept water. This pump only works with evans PNG + waterless coolant.

any questions, feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails FS: Evans hgih flow water pump.-upload1.jpg   FS: Evans hgih flow water pump.-upload2.jpg   FS: Evans hgih flow water pump.-upload4.jpg   FS: Evans hgih flow water pump.-upload5.jpg  

Last edited by jermzz; 10-17-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Does it come with the special belt too? What kind of miles are these on it? I was under the impression that you don't have to run the PNG+, it is just and added option.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not a special belt even though they make it seem like it is. My stock belt fit no problem at all. all the miles are street miles, no track time or anything.

You need to run NPG+ waterless coolant. Evans water pumps run unpressurized systems, and since the NPG coolant has a higher boiling point then water, it vaporizes the water and flushes it out of the system. Using water with this pump would be defeating its purpose.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ttt....
Old 07-03-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent
Why are you not staying with it. And going to elect.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just wanna do something new. I like the electric pumps, so I figured I'd give them a shot.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics added.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Still for sale!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

New price.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump....
Old 10-22-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

if it helps you sell this, i talked to evans lastweek and they informed me you can use regular coolant , just not untreated water. You can not mix water and the npg but you can mix it with coolant.
If someone is interest in the pump but unsure they should contact Evens , this is truely a great pump and well worth the asking price
Old 10-22-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KHShapiro
if it helps you sell this, i talked to evans lastweek and they informed me you can use regular coolant , just not untreated water. You can not mix water and the npg but you can mix it with coolant.
If someone is interest in the pump but unsure they should contact Evens , this is truely a great pump and well worth the asking price

Note that coolant does not mean dexcool. Dexcool when mixed with NPG will coagulate. System will still need to be flushed and prepped whether or not you use NPG or regular coolant.

thank you for the bump!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

sent you a PM. Let me know if you got it.

Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Just to set the record straight since the posts seem confusing:

You most certainly CAN use a regular mix of Dexcool and water (as is in the car from factory) with this pump. There is no need to flush the system (unless you want to for maintenance purposes) I was told it was fine by the mfg. when I first installed mine, and it ran that way for 2 years before I went with the NPG R.

If & when you do go to the NPG Waterless coolant - then you must completely flush out ALL the old Dexcool/water mix from rad and engine block before filling with the NPG.

Cooling using this pump and Dexcool/water was an improvement over the stock system - of course the NPG R was even better...

-Jay-
Old 11-25-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should do some reading on how these pumps work. Why would you spend 600 dollars on a waterpump and have it not preform like it's supposed to? It's a complete waste of money. This is taken right from Evans website.

"Why No Water?

Because anything else with a low boiling point in the system, such as water, causes the loss of nucleate boiling. In fact, water is a contaminant to the proper working of the new system and is eliminated by the Evans Technology which continuously moves it out of the cooling system."

This means the evans pumps, which runs UNPRESSURIZED, vaporizes water because it has a lower boiling point then the evans coolant, and flushes it out of the system. It's a no brainer to use NPG+ coolant, if you're not going to use it, buy a regular water pump. The reason Evans waterpumps work well is not the volume of liquid they pump, but rather the method and chemicals it uses to cool.

I guess it's irrelevent at this point as a means of selling the pump, because i'm using it now.

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Just to set the record straight since the posts seem confusing:

You most certainly CAN use a regular mix of Dexcool and water (as is in the car from factory) with this pump. There is no need to flush the system (unless you want to for maintenance purposes) I was told it was fine by the mfg. when I first installed mine, and it ran that way for 2 years before I went with the NPG R.

If & when you do go to the NPG Waterless coolant - then you must completely flush out ALL the old Dexcool/water mix from rad and engine block before filling with the NPG.

Cooling using this pump and Dexcool/water was an improvement over the stock system - of course the NPG R was even better...

-Jay-
Old 11-26-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

I know exactly how these pumps, and the NPG Coolant work without any reading.

First off, the use of an Evans Pump, and the use of an Evans Pump with the NPG Coolant are two different animals and are NOT mutually exclusive. Evans did not design the two products concurrently and you can use the NPG Coolant with any style waterpump, or their waterpump with any style recommended coolant.

The Evans LS1 pump/pulley combo was initially designed to offer LS1/LS6 customers a much better pump than what was currently available. The pump alone flows 20% more then the OEM pump and maintains an equal flow to both cylinder banks at any engine RPM. It includes a billet pulley hub, HD 3/4" roller bearing, ceramic shaft seal, and a 3.8"OD 8-vane scrolled impeller to reduce HP loss at high RPM.

To take advantage of the hi flow of the pump they also came up with modified 160 & 180Deg thermostats that flow up to 55% more coolant than other aftermarket or stock stats.

All this is true whether you're pumping Dexcool/water, NPG, or Koolade

There is NOTHING special in the design of the pump that makes it only usefull with the NPG coolant.

Now on to the NPG Coolant:

NPG is a blend of non-aqueous ingredients with greater thermal conductivity and lower viscosity than other coolants. Because it is waterless, it allows your engine to tolerate running hotter without boiling over and allows the cooling system to run at a very low system pressure. Another benefit to 'no water' is the system will be free of corrosion and electrolysis.

The boiling point of the NPG is 370Deg F+ and it will keep the system substantially below this point while in operation, whereas the old style coolants run near the boiling point of the coolant all the time - this makes it very easy for locally generated areas of coolant vapor to be produced that will not readily condense back into liquid - but remain in vapor state and form an insulating barrier between the metal of the cooling jacket and the liquid coolant.

Simple fact is that your engine runs more efficiently when its hot - just as long as its not so hot as to incur damage. Whats happening in the cooling jackets is what is important. Regular Ethylene Glycol/water coolants, running at 15psi will boil at 263Deg F at sea level. Straight water boils at around 249Deg F at same conditions. Boiling points will drop for increases in elevation.

When the ethylene glycol/water coolant nears these temps, and actually fairly lower than these temps, super heated/vaporized coolant is formed that does not fully condense back into liquid until it circulates past an area that is cooler than the boiling point of the liquid - most times this is all the way back at the rad. This super heated/vaporized coolant transfers heat poorly no matter where it is in the system. The entrained vapor can sometimes make it thru the rad and back into the engine without condensing - which causes the pump to cavitate and circulation to stop.

The NPG solves this vapor problem due to it's ingredients and the lack of water in the system. Because there is no vapor present in the system, the coolant can fully 'wet' all the metal components of the cooling jackets - which greatly improves coolant surface effectiveness. Heat now transfers more effiiciently from the metal to the coolant and is then carried to the rad for more elimination. Any vaporized coolant re-condenses immediately in the engine so it is always absorbing heat as it runs thru the engine.

So basically, with the NPG, you eliminate vapor pockets, temp control of the metal improves because liquid coolant remains in contact with the hot metal surfaces at all times. Since the metal temps are now under control, the coolant temps can be increased beyond the failure temps of regular coolant systems.

Since the NPG will not boil over or vent in the operational temp range of your engine; you can now change to a low pressure or no pressure system (0-7PSI).

On top of all this, the NPG is essentially a lifetime coolant and if installed properly will NEVER need replacing. No water means no corrosion and no water pump or cylinder cavitation. NPG will never freeze soild and expand such as water systems either. It will stay liquid until -40Deg F and even then turns into a light viscous slurry. For all the tree huggers out there - it is non toxic also as one of the main ingredients is Propylene Glycol which is already used in the drug/food/cosmetic industry and is classified non-poisonous.

In the end I was only trying to help your sale by not 'scaring off' customers who think they have to use the $125+ NPG Coolant exclusively with this pump. And that was the cost early this year when it was on sale. Many will see this cost and never look into the rewards they gain by changing over.

The pump design is made to perform better than stock with reg Dexcool/water and will work even better with the addition of the NPG Coolant.

Good to hear you decided to keep it

-Jay-
Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jeese, thats a damn book there. All true too, i'm not disputing that it wont perform better then the stock pump, I just couldn't justify running this pump in anything other then a sleeved block for it's price when a regular pump will do the job for less then 1/4 the price.

I am sorry I doubted your knowledge, however..
Old 04-13-2007, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Wow...

I just had one installed..
Using dexcool in my car...

On the way over to my tech, my car was at a constant 190..
After install, on the way home, it was @ 180..

Stopped in rush hr traffic for a few minutes of standing still, 0 mph, it went up to 183-185, once I got going again, right back down to 180...

There is definitely a difference!

Quick Reply: FS: Evans hgih flow water pump.