FS used forged 347 short block

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8_Club
Which block was used the LS6 block or the older LS1 ?
Or atleast the number off the back/top of the block.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by crzhrs
Or atleast the number off the back/top of the block.
I don't have the engine around me or else I would get that for you. I can get it for you tomorrow if you like.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:37 AM
On The Tree

Looking at the front of the block in his second picture there is not a cast bull's eye marking that would indicate, that it is an LS1 block so thus I would say it is an LS6 block. Not that there is any real difference between the two and I would take it and run it no mater. Great deal and would do it in a heart beat but I have already started my 383 APS combo. TTT for you.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WARPNOVA
Looking at the front of the block in his second picture there is not a cast bull's eye marking that would indicate, that it is an LS1 block so thus I would say it is an LS6 block. Not that there is any real difference between the two and I would take it and run it no mater. Great deal and would do it in a heart beat but I have already started my 383 APS combo. TTT for you.
The Newer LS6 block is better than the older LS1 block. LS6 block having both the bay-to-bay breathing windows and more overall strength than the LS1 block.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

It has been argued her before that those very cross breathing passages make that ls6 block weaker then the ls1 as there were never any other reinforcements made or cast into the block when all that material was machined out of the base to form those passages. But because people were worried about crank case pressurization and air flow which is said the ls6 block is better at but if you have the right setup even the FI guys don't pressurize their ls1 crank case. That is why people like going with the ls6 block and besides its appearing to be more common as gm only makes the ls6 block now if I am not mistaken even though they still sell ls1 crate engines they are using the ls6 blocks. Other then the cross breathing passages there is no difference between the two. People also use to think that you automatically made more power with the ls6 but that wasn't the case either. lol I remember the hype when people first discovered that their F-body might have a LS6 block in it and how much more power they where going to make then a regular LS1 F-body. lol The power difference between a long block LS1 and LS6 was the addition of a LS6 cam and better heads that were only given to the ZO6. As far as strength goes you will do fine with both well up to a thousand horsepower with all the appropriate supporting inside goodies. But for the best get something like a war hawk, LSX, or C5R block and call it a day if you have the money. Who ever buys this will have a strong block and motor for plenty of power especially if it was built by speedinc.

TTT for you hc performance
Old 03-06-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

sold! thanks for everyones interest!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

what cast block#'s? and you said it's been stored has it got spots on the cyl walls?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

you guys are lucky you didn't buy this motor...i bought it and just had it fired up and guess what it has a cracked block and now he doesn't want to give me my money back...needless to say i am pretty pissed off right now
Old 04-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Were there no indications of the same before install ?
Old 04-19-2008, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by V8_Club
Were there no indications of the same before install ?
it is a small crack that would have only been seen if it was magnafluxed by a machine shop..either way im sure that if i would have had it checked out before installing it he still wouldn't have refunded me
Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Did you magnaflux the motor?

Im guessing not since you say in THIS thread that you dont even know if the block is cracked.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That happened to me once with a trans.
But I knew where the dude lived because I picked it up in person.
we talked it over in person and he footed 1/2 the bill to fix.
It was that or I was going to rent a helicopter and drop it through his roof.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DSIM
Did you magnaflux the motor?

Im guessing not since you say in THIS thread that you dont even know if the block is cracked.
dont you have somthing better to do then follow me around..if you look in that thread you will see that my installer offered me a free block for a rebuild, obviously he wouldn't do that unless something was seriously wrong with the block. I haven't seen the block so that is why i said i am not sure if it has a crack in it..i am honestly hoping for the best but obviously that hasn't happened and from the looks of it it isn't gonna happen

Last edited by quiet_storm98; 04-22-2008 at 08:53 PM.