LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

3.23's to 3.42

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will put it like this...If I drove a ton of hwy/freeway miles with this car I wouldn't have gone 3.73. Having drove a LT w/ 3.42 before, the difference between those and 3.23 was so LITTLE the change would almost seem like a waste of time and money.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
I will put it like this...If I drove a ton of hwy/freeway miles with this car I wouldn't have gone 3.73. Having drove a LT w/ 3.42 before, the difference between those and 3.23 was so LITTLE the change would almost seem like a waste of time and money.
i always go by the saying every little bit helps, and if you do 10 little things that amount to a decent change in power and driveability. and like previously stated there is no longer the need to drop a gear on the highway to pass with the 3.42's as opposed to the 3.23's where it is pretty hard to accel around someone unless you drop a gear.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Banned

I disagree with having to drop gear to go around someone with 3.23. If your having problems with going around the average car with a Z28 then your car should be looked at. It's almost like changing out the stock throttle body to a 52mm..you gain pretty much nothing.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

I disagree with having to drop gear to go around someone with 3.23. If your having problems with going around the average car with a Z28 then your car should be looked at. It's almost like changing out the stock throttle body to a 52mm..you gain pretty much nothing.
well im done going back and forth and just wanted to say comparing it to a 52mm throttle body in terms of gains is just ridiculous. you are gaining gear. isnt that a gain? haha! chyea just like the 52mm throttle body alright.
and you don't necesarily have to drop a gear it is just hard because the car wants to drop a gear if you put your foot to a certain level on the gas. he is pretty much saying you dont have to push as hard on the gas to pass, which in turn means the car doesnt need to downshift. thats a gain if you ask me.

and we can disagree all day, but obviously some people think the 3.42's are worth it and everyone knows you dont. so i dont know how many ways you can try and say you disagree i was just talking about why someone might want to stay with 3.42's. all you have done is say its a waste and doesnt pose any gain at all.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
well im done going back and forth and just wanted to say comparing it to a 52mm throttle body in terms of gains is just ridiculous. you are gaining gear. isnt that a gain? haha! chyea just like the 52mm throttle body alright.
and you don't necesarily have to drop a gear it is just hard because the car wants to drop a gear if you put your foot to a certain level on the gas. he is pretty much saying you dont have to push as hard on the gas to pass, which in turn means the car doesnt need to downshift. thats a gain if you ask me.

and we can disagree all day, but obviously some people think the 3.42's are worth it and everyone knows you dont. so i dont know how many ways you can try and say you disagree i was just talking about why someone might want to stay with 3.42's. all you have done is say its a waste and doesnt pose any gain at all.

Ya you are gaining gear but it so fuc*ing little it's a joke and you are gonna step on the pedal just as much with 3.42 as you do with 3.23. Did this guy measure the change in how far the pedal went down I have felt the change with the two gears and I still have a little lag even with 3.73 when it comes to kick down. Not trying to argue with ya bro. As far as the T.B. it was just a comparison being the change is so little the difference is just a fraction. Go do the swap and drive both then you will see where I am coming from.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Ya you are gaining gear but it so fuc*ing little it's a joke and you are gonna step on the pedal just as much with 3.42 as you do with 3.23. Did this guy measure the change in how far the pedal went down I have felt the change with the two gears and I still have a little lag even with 3.73 when it comes to kick down. Not trying to argue with ya bro. As far as the T.B. it was just a comparison being the change is so little the difference is just a fraction. Go do the swap and drive both then you will see where I am coming from.
Haha ok man. everyone told me the same thing about my small cam, and boy were they wrong about that too, bigger is not always better for everyone. this isnt Texas mang haha. but i get your point im just trying to say some people might want the extra little umph the 3.42's would give without sacrificing highway mileage. like people who might road trip their car, which i do, do.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Banned

Def agree about the cam!! Anythings better then stock with that one! 3.42's for the win..lol
Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

elliott, you missed my point. say this car is someone's main transportation and they had to drive 40 miles to work everyday, didn't make the most money in the world and wanted a little more kick but wanted to save as much gas as possible. a 3:42 will do better there than 3.73, correct? even if its so minimal like you say, its something, correct? and how do you argue with me when I"VE DONE THE SWAP AND NOTICED A DIFFERENCE? like i said, it obviously wasn't as much as going to a 3.73, but my car will probably never see the strip and occasionally i drive to des moines which is 2 hours away from me and i didn't want to hurt the mileage too much for trips like that. tell me i'm dumb, tell me i felt some sort of imaginary gain when i did the swap. i don't care, i know what happened when i did the swap and i'm very happy with the choice i made
Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by whammer33024
elliott, you missed my point. say this car is someone's main transportation and they had to drive 40 miles to work everyday, didn't make the most money in the world and wanted a little more kick but wanted to save as much gas as possible. a 3:42 will do better there than 3.73, correct? even if its so minimal like you say, its something, correct? and how do you argue with me when I"VE DONE THE SWAP AND NOTICED A DIFFERENCE? like i said, it obviously wasn't as much as going to a 3.73, but my car will probably never see the strip and occasionally i drive to des moines which is 2 hours away from me and i didn't want to hurt the mileage too much for trips like that. tell me i'm dumb, tell me i felt some sort of imaginary gain when i did the swap. i don't care, i know what happened when i did the swap and i'm very happy with the choice i made
whoa! haha we could say that was a whammy! wait i mean whammer! hahahahahahaahah ok so not so funny, just thought i'd say i really like the looks of your car whammer you got any more pictures
Old 10-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

I have drove both there champ and have felt the change just like you have.... which was hardly anything at all. You're not dumb and you are not imagining things when it comes to gains or noticing a change. The difference between gas milage with your gears and 3.73 would be somewhere in the ballpark of a few miles. Bottom line the 3.42's would be a better choice for hwy no doubt. As for 3.73's, it's pretty obvious what most fbody owners say and think about the two different gears and which MOST enjoy and like more..3.73's
Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

I have drove both there champ and have felt the change just like you have.... which was hardly anything at all. You're not dumb and you are not imagining things when it comes to gains or noticing a change. The difference between gas milage with your gears and 3.73 would be somewhere in the ballpark of a few miles. Bottom line the 3.42's would be a better choice for hwy no doubt. As for 3.73's, it's pretty obvious what most fbody owners say and think about the two different gears and which MOST enjoy and like more..3.73's
onfortunately although i would not go with 3.73's i think mr elliot is correct in saying most will go with the 3.73 gear for maximum gains. as most people on here are trying to get the maximum gains as for people like you and i we are satisfied with just a small change in gearing to help our acceleration out the slightest bit.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

again, if you want all the top acceleration you can get, yes 3.73 is better than 3.42. but he also admitted that i will get better gas mileage than him with 3.42 gears. and i don't see how someone can argue with a $60 gear swap vs. $300
Old 10-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

again, if you want all the top acceleration you can get, yes 3.73 is better than 3.42. but he also admitted that i will get better gas mileage than him with 3.42 gears. and i don't see how someone can argue with a $60 gear swap vs. $300
Yeah, you will get maybe 5 to 10 more miles on a fill up..lol Don't remember arguing about $60 vs $300. Over and done with on this one!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i feel like anything less than 3.73s coming from 3.23's would be a waste
Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MTBSully
i feel like anything less than 3.73s coming from 3.23's would be a waste
we know you do, but you are not everyone, because obviously both me and whammer think the 3.42's would be great for our applications. if you drive highway you are not going to like the 3.73's. and i do sir drive alot so your opinion has already been stated a grip of times. thanks

admin? this is getting beat to death we need to stop the madness!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

lock this bit**
Old 10-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
we know you do, but you are not everyone, because obviously both me and whammer think the 3.42's would be great for our applications. if you drive highway you are not going to like the 3.73's. and i do sir drive alot so your opinion has already been stated a grip of times. thanks

admin? this is getting beat to death we need to stop the madness!
You can't say weather or not he or she will like or dislike 3.73's on the hwy being you are still driving with the stock gears and have no experience with what they feel like on the car. I don't mind driving on the hwy with mine. I wouldn't want to drive LONG distances with them because of the whole gas issue. But with that said, they are not that bad for short distance hwy traveling. Hey, correct me if I'm wrong with your experience with the gears. I'm going off your sig and other posts you have put up.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

bump...so im definately leaning towards the 3.73's but what price am i lookin at to get the gears and would i need an install kit?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

gears aren't fun, nor easy to do. you'd probably want someone to install them for you to be honest, unless you have the ability to do it
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

yep gears are very tough, my buddy had a shop do his and they took like six hrs to get right. I dunno anything about it since im still runnin on my stock 2.73's but i really enjoy getting 320 miles to a tank right now. But from what i have been told its a tedious "spell check" process and takes time to set the gears right. Im lookin to do a six speed swap soon so ill probably switch to 4.11's or possibly 3.73 not sure yet. But good luck on whatever u choose. YOu can find good prices on gears and kits on jegs or summit.

Quick Reply: 3.23's to 3.42