LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

$342 to get FLUIDS changed?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
I will stick with what has worked for me in the past...anyways, did you know some new cars come without a transmission dipstick tube? For example i own a 2006 SRT8 Magnum, it dont have a dipstick to measure tranny level. Some manufacturers claim up to 100,000 interval for changing fluids, specially those using the Dexron III ATF fluid. This is under warranty. In fact a big number of tranny failures have arisen from people changing fluids randomly, using wrong fluids based on super duper arguments found in car forums (not talking about this one!).....The overall agreement is changing it at 30,000 to 50,000 miles....so you would change the tranny fluid 2 or three times (at most) in the life of your vehicle (of course car enthusiasts continue to own the same vehicle for a LOT of years, but i think these are a minority when compared to the general population).

This is an interesting thread so far!
So because you went from ATF to 75w90 its the fluids fault? Sorry had to say it but had to say this one even more:
Manual Trannys Have a Dipstick? There goes that whole fill it till it weeps out method damn... I have been doing it wrong all this time.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
So because you went from ATF to 75w90 its the fluids fault? Sorry had to say it but had to say this one even more:
Manual Trannys Have a Dipstick? There goes that whole fill it till it weeps out method damn... I have been doing it wrong all this time.
What the hell are you talking about??? Im referring to the little argument about tranny fluid in AUTOMATIC transmissions....refer to a couple posts above...
Old 10-18-2008, 12:53 AM
12 Second Club

Thread OP has a Manual, hints the joke but NM.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool

Wow. When I started this thread I thought a few guys would tell me to go with this or that...I never expected the diverse opinions about what to run! Right when I think I know what to do, someone says something completely different. I have learned a lot(especially from some of the links/pics and long informative answers, THANKS!).

I am located in Eustis, Florida(about an hour from Orlando)...a little too far from AZ, but ty anyways. My friend says he knows ls1 engines really well(he has an 02 TA), but thinks he can find his way around my lt1 just fine. I am only 19 so offering any friends alcohol beverages in exchange for help is unlawful and outrageous...you should be ashamed for even presuming teenagers drink Those smiles describe the order of my party life lol.

I still really don't know exactly what to buy for my car(i have some pretty good ideas though), but I have decided to do the work myself. You all are right about that: Save money, get the fluids I want, do it right(hopefully), LEARN, have fun and get my Trans am on the road sounding and running better than ever. .I respect and appreciate all of your opinions(i just wish there was one right answer) and will research what I have heard. I still want to hear more information as I do find this thread interesting.
If you like a particular fluid for the engine, tranny, rear etc. please state what it is and anyone that agrees with that one please say so or say which one your think is best...this will help me and anyone else wondering what the majority likes...of course the majority could be wrong...I would start a poll, but I have no idea how.

Again I thank you all and please bring your .02 to the table! -Bruce
Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
I will stick with what has worked for me in the past...anyways, did you know some new cars come without a transmission dipstick tube? For example i own a 2006 SRT8 Magnum, it dont have a dipstick to measure tranny level. Some manufacturers claim up to 100,000 interval for changing fluids, specially those using the Dexron III ATF fluid. This is under warranty. In fact a big number of tranny failures have arisen from people changing fluids randomly, using wrong fluids based on super duper arguments found in car forums (not talking about this one!).....The overall agreement is changing it at 30,000 to 50,000 miles....so you would change the tranny fluid 2 or three times (at most) in the life of your vehicle (of course car enthusiasts continue to own the same vehicle for a LOT of years, but i think these are a minority when compared to the general population).

This is an interesting thread so far!
i am not bashing on you in any form, so please dont think that... but i do agree with some of what you say. the extremely long interval for fluid changing i guess is the auto industry's concept to "no maintenence or low maintenence" vehicles. i believe all of us here know 100,000 miles on a trans that is going to be abused is BS. i like to believe i have seen many more transmissions fail due to 100,000 mile old fluid than people changing fluids randomly. but anyways, ill stop cluttering up this thread. To the OP, sorry bro i moved from orlando a few years ago... g/l!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 281 Likes on 214 Posts

My car couldn't keep a Tranny in it long enough to require a Fluid change..let alone to get to the 10,XXX mileage mark..
Old 10-18-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_merv
My car couldn't keep a Tranny in it long enough to require a Fluid change..let alone to get to the 10,XXX mileage mark..
well i believe you fall in the SEVERE ABUSE category...
Old 10-18-2008, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

^^It's not me abusing it..I'm driving it the way I built it. That Engine PMS's, throws a fit, and there goes the Tranny..lol

I think the T56 will last longer.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ loyal T-56 owner also but i do have a built TH-400 just in case...
Old 10-18-2008, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21
What kinda fluid is that luquid gold?
lol I had to laugh at this one
Old 10-18-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brucealmighty744
1.How much would it cost me to buy all the fluids myself(I want the good stuff)? 2.What exactly does all fluids mean(oil, rearend, tranny, coolant...what else??? 3. Anything else I should change or check? 4. WHat fluids are best for the $$$(best oil, best tranny fluid etc? I have heard great things about ROYAL PURPLE, but I am not sure if that is the best gig for a high mileage engine, even though I wouldnt mind the few HP!! I just ordered a GMMG exhaust today and will also be getting LPP LT headers and ORY and a CAI if that makes any difference since my car wont be stock any longer. As always thanks guys.
Your questions should be reordered :
2) Q: What does all fluids mean? A: As for possibilities, it may be any combination of -- engine oil, transmission fluid, rear differential fluid, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and antifreeze. I highly doubt they meant they were draining and refilling all of those for $342. As for what THEY were intending, you'd have to ask the people at whatever 'quick-lube' place you were at.

1) Q: How much would it cost you to change ALL fluids? A: Hard to say. I dont have the prices of all these things memorized but, a trip to walmart, autozone, napa, ect. would be the ticket. As you have noticed, there's alot of opinions about what to use and some of these recommendations are alot more expensive than others (Royal Purple vs. standard oil).

3) Q: Is there anything else I should change or check? A: Yes, always (some things are pretty much obvious but, just mentioning it for the hell of it). Assuming that your not aware at all of the condition of the car and what has or hasn't been done to it -- Spark plugs & wires, check brake pads and rotors, check/change fuel filter, wheels - tread/balance/alignment, shocks, driveshaft u-joints, PCV & engine vacuum system/hoses, thermostat,... Injectors can get checked to but, I dont think its relatively cheap. Eventually you'll probably have to change out the optispark. Also, your clutch is something that goes after enough time. There's plenty more I'm sure but, this is off the top of my head...

4) Q: What are the best fluids for the $$$? A: Man, that QUESTION will only stir people up around here. haha... Its fair to ask but, be ready for what you have already seen, alot of contradiction. If you keep seeing a certain brand or type mentioned, just use the search function on here and other sites to find more on that one. In the end, there's always someone for and against every product out there. Exception seems to be royal purple... I never seem to hear bad things other than its to damn expensive. hehe... Although, I never really looked for the negatives on it either.

Last edited by hyperzone; 10-18-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hyperzone
Your questions should be reordered :
2) Q: What does all fluids mean? A: As for possibilities, it may be any combination of -- engine oil, transmission fluid, rear differential fluid, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and antifreeze. I highly doubt they meant they were draining and refilling all of those for $342. As for what THEY were intending, you'd have to ask the people at whatever 'quick-lube' place you were at.

1) Q: How much would it cost you to change ALL fluids? A: Hard to say. I dont have the prices of all these things memorized but, a trip to walmart, autozone, napa, ect. would be the ticket. As you have noticed, there's alot of opinions about what to use and some of these recommendations are alot more expensive than others (Royal Purple vs. standard oil).

3) Q: Is there anything else I should change or check? A: Yes, always (some things are pretty much obvious but, just mentioning it for the hell of it). Assuming that your not aware at all of the condition of the car and what has or hasn't been done to it -- Spark plugs & wires, check brake pads and rotors, check/change fuel filter, wheels - tread/balance/alignment, shocks, driveshaft u-joints, PCV & engine vacuum system/hoses, thermostat,... Injectors can get checked to but, I dont think its relatively cheap. Eventually you'll probably have to change out the optispark. Also, your clutch is something that goes after enough time. There's plenty more I'm sure but, this is off the top of my head...

4) Q: What are the best fluids for the $$$? A: Man, that QUESTION will only stir people up around here. haha... Its fair to ask but, be ready for what you have already seen, alot of contradiction. If you keep seeing a certain brand or type mentioned, just use the search function on here and other sites to find more on that one. In the end, there's always someone for and against every product out there. Exception seems to be royal purple... I never seem to hear bad things other than its to damn expensive. hehe... Although, I never really looked for the negatives on it either.
Thanks a lot. I am realizing more and more that almost everyone has a different opinion about what to do. Seems the only thing we can agree on is that we like GM cars!
Old 10-18-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just get it fixed before you go spending all that money into other stuff. It may be fast but it'll never look the same way on the street as in the drive way being pushed around. Some of the best advice i ever got
Old 10-18-2008, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

^^True. Mine's been apart and off the road more than it has been on it this past year, and it sucks to have all that time in it and it just sits..
Atleast for the next 4 months I got a legitimate reason why..I'm out of country.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Atleast for the next 4 months I got a legitimate reason why..I'm out of country.
Excuses, excuses lol. I am presuming you are military...or you just realllly like to travel?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

merv just cant decide what he wants to do with his driveline... it seems every 6 months i get on and he has made ANOTHER huge change but his projects are always informative to follow, and MAYBE one day he can keep it the same and really go stomp some *** haha, im picking merv
Old 10-18-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Paying $342 for changing fluids is not anything extreme. That' not even a lot of money in today's society. Now it's a little vague on what fluids exactly, but it's at least $100 in just parts for some of the major fluids (oil, coolant, trans fluid..) You have to understand that this site is for CAR GUYS. Of course everyone is going to say your being ripped off because for someone who can work on cars, it's easy to change fluids. But look at the majority of car owners. Do you think your neighbor or someone's grandmother will be able to do this by themselves? There is a job out there for everyone and they need to get paid too. I'm a technician myself, and there's gotta be some way to pay off $6,000+ in tools.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brucealmighty744
Excuses, excuses lol. I am presuming you are military...or you just realllly like to travel?
I got a paid vacation to Tallil, Iraq..want to come and visit?

Originally Posted by SLawson86
merv just cant decide what he wants to do with his driveline... it seems every 6 months i get on and he has made ANOTHER huge change but his projects are always informative to follow, and MAYBE one day he can keep it the same and really go stomp some *** haha, im picking merv
****.. I want it on the road, hopefully the T56 is alot more dependable than the 4LshittyE.

You're not lyin..I blew a Tranny, got a nice build on it, 4 months later ran 11.19's, then blew the 10-bolt that night at the Track, so a month later in goes the Moser 9", then a day later goes the Tranny again..2 months later it's in storage fully setup for a T56, and it probably won't be back till march, I got too much to do when I get back.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

****.. I want it on the road, hopefully the T56 is alot more dependable than the 4LshittyE.

You're not lyin..I blew a Tranny, got a nice build on it, 4 months later ran 11.19's, then blew the 10-bolt that night at the Track, so a month later in goes the Moser 9", then a day later goes the Tranny again..2 months later it's in storage fully setup for a T56, and it probably won't be back till march, I got too much to do when I get back.
I am going to have to pass, but thanks anyways...seriosly thanks for your service though. Sounds like you have had a rather rough ride trying to get your car on the road
Old 10-19-2008, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure who built your tranny, but a unit that is built right will hold up to low 11's for at least a couple of years or longer. I built mine and have 200+ passes and have about 12k miles and still going strong.

To the fluid guy. If $300+ is too much to eat at once, cut a deal with the place or get another quote from another place. You can do this in 2 stages. Oil change and tranny flush/fluid change, Coolant flush and rear fluid change. Cost doesn't always indicate quality either. A good oil and good filter are all that you need, not the best.

Quick Reply: $342 to get FLUIDS changed?!?!?!