LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

turbo 400 on lt1 what do i need???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also would like the to know the power capabilities of a turbo 350/400.....maybe a trans sponser could chime in?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Default Power

My turbo 400 was built by Kenny Wells here in Orlando and I belive he said it would take 1000 HP without problems. I am pushing about 550 hp and no problems and pulling the front tires off the ground at the lights. This is not a big deal anymore with Fbodies.

Oh, I cannot see my sig right now but I belive the stall was stated as 3000; but now its 4500 stall.
And the engine is back in the machine shop; I ran it too lean before I got my FAST computer and duel syn distributor and seized the rings up against the pistons. The compression was 60 psi on the first cyl I did the compression check on so I just said, "thats it" and pulled the motor. Thank God I did not do more damage. The bearings were getting gaulded. I took two days off from work and worked in the machine shop to clean up the parts.
I was running out of Fuel and Spark at 7200 rpms and pushing the car to 8000 across the traps and that ran it too lean, one too many times.

Jim
Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club

my street/strip TH400 from ATI is handling about 1000hp no problem at all....

I have close to 40 or so transbrake launches on it since a refresh and it's taking it just fine.... TH400's will take alot of punishment...

For the parts list you'll need

trans
converter
torque arm relocation off of the tailshaft (BMR and Spohn make good ones)
BMR trans crossmember for TH400 (or use modded T56 crossmember with a lift block that I believe Spohn also makes)
depending on tailshaft length you might need a new or modded length driveshaft. I'm not 100% sure cause I went from a T56 and needed a new driveshaft made.... you being a 4L60 guy i'm not sure....
VSS can be wired up to your existing setup but you're gonna need to search how to do it... I didn't wire up my speedo since it's a racecar and I just went with a tach...
screw the SES light. just pull the bulb....

you plan on using your stock shifter???? if not you're gonna need a new shifter as well.... if you do a TH400 i'd do a RMVB if I were you....
Old 11-30-2009, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know If M6 gas/ brake pedals could be reused or would I need to find a set from a A4?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Default Outlawz

Not exactly sure what your asking AChotrod "Anyone know If M6 gas/ brake pedals could be reused or would I need to find a set from a A4?"
Brake should be the same. Since the TH400 is more of a manual tranny (non electric and no passing gear) there is less to worry about with the gas cable. I think that is what you asking..the actual linkage/cable and not the actual petal, right?

OutLawz, we have almost the same set up but mine is a 93 and a little lighter (factory weight) on the front end, but depends on you mods.
I am down to 3000 with me in the car; a full pro stock trailer queen.
Question: What is your rear gears? I am running a ford 9 inch Moser with 4:56-1 ratio. Thinking of going to something in the 4:3x - 1. I have the 28 inch slicks with fender mods so they would fit. I could not get through the traps with the smaller diameter slicks on the dumb factory computer. I am not changing rear gears until I get the motor back, installed and run it with the FAST setup.
Your comments are welcomed.

Jim
PS: I run the cheeta reverse pattern shifter
Old 11-30-2009, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, can you just use the stock M6 pedals cables linkage etc, or do I need to find a set from a A4 car. Im guessing it will all work from your reply. I plan on switching back and forth between my M6 and a th400. I dont feel like messing with the pedals, and would like to just leave the clutch pedal in the car.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
i also would like the to know the power capabilities of a turbo 350/400.....maybe a trans sponser could chime in?
when i had my th350 built by dave harris in pleasant garden NC, he said it he would put 800hp to it without concern, and mine was just a street build, i had it back in 3 days and only cost 650$, then another 250$ for a badass converter that was too big at the time. it shifts so hard it rattles my dashbord and makes my cd player face fall off lol.

but now im thinking about a 700-r4 conversion. just to have an overdrive gear, i love the th350 but its turning almost 3200 at 65mph,...idk though

Quick Reply: turbo 400 on lt1 what do i need???