LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tell us about your nightmare/failed builds

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my story is alittle different, because its not about mods, its about the car itself.

I bought her about a year ago for 6k, borrowed it from dad. Drove the car everyday untill this past winter when i parked it (running PERFECT). Flash forward a few months to the first day of spring, i get in the car take it out of storage clean it, change the oil, air, filter etc. Go for a quick ride and notice the oil pressure is low, so i come back check the oil and its fine and go back out and its still low so i figure screw it its not bad. Flash forward another month or two to last week, i still owed my dad 2 grand on the car and my old employer had recently closed down (power equipment shop) so i managed to get away with all sorts of commercial mowing equipment. Which i sold real quick and handed my dad 2k cash for the rest of the car, all the money i had. 2 Days later i was driving my ranger (DD) and the tranny blew. So i figured no biggie ill just start driving the fbody again. The next day i get in the firebird, start it up oil pressure is fine WOOHOO. Get about 5 miles away check gauges light comes on oil pressure hits 0 and instantaniously it starts lightly knocking (literally all this happened in about 4.261 seconds which was my reaction time to shut it off lol.) So long story short, i have no transportation, no money, no way to get to work, and i might fail out of college if i cant find a way to get to my classes all this week.

So basically i wish i never bought this car!

Not included in the story is that the car has been absolutely nothing but trouble since day one!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

How often do you spray it?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

I have dealt with the cracked flywheel syndrome. And other then dropping a valve in a set of heads about it.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Did heads cam intakes stall drive the car for 2 hours opti dies out buy a brand new opti drive the car for 15 miles. Bent push rod. fix that to find out that there is also a bottom end knock... spun bearings. Now new short block
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did a cam swap and sandblasted the intake to port and paint it didn't get all the sand out. Rings, cyl walls, new cam ruined, main bearings, cam bearings, rod bearings, everything trashed. So now my last penny on a new motor getting rebuilt and hoping it goes well. Been bumming rides while she has sat for the last month and a half. Anxious to finish it but cam ison backorder.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does an import count?

95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 6g72-T plus all the bolt-ons and babbles

Sexy car, but the most unreliable POS I've ever owned.. Ownership lasted about 3 months but I was so frustrated with it. Thankfully I paid next to nothing for it and sold it to some idiot kid for alot more than what I paid
Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my old man bought a wrecked 96 trans am 3-4 years back. I bought the motor out of it from him. The guy he bought it from said it had a cc305 with ported heads and intake and a forged 355. He said the rods were eagle H beams and the crank was an eagle forged crank. So we put it in my formula and have it tuned and all that jazz. I take it to the dyno and it makes like 310 rwhp and went lean at like 5700. I really didn't understand at all. So I decided to take the car another route and we tore it down. Ok so we find out the cam is not a cc305 even though the car was tuned for one. It was a cam motion cam not even very close to the same specs. Not only that but we discovered the "H beam rods" were actually I beam rods and the "forged eagle crank" was actually a stock crank. I was not very happy in fact I was pretty upset becuase the car could have been a nice fast car but the guy didn't have a clue what was in it obviously. The heads though were killer I sold them and the intake to a guy on cz28 and he's here too and he loves them. He has a 3rd gen with an LT1 383 and he's making some killer hp with them. That's about all the good I have about this deal though. So even though I didn't technically build this one...I consider it a failed build.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

$4500 on an 95 T/A M6 LT1. Plus trip costs, spent $$ on wheels/panhard/maintence.

Watched my brother spend $5k on a 99Z28 M6, we did about $200 in maintenence.

Watched him go low 13s, as I fought high 14s. Got to see all the drawbacks in every aspect of owning an LT1. Made a trip down the 1320 to arrive back in the pits with a VERY low oil pressure gauge.

$1.99 on a pep boys 'for-sale' later and ate my losses/kept my wheels. Fail. My brother later traded his Z for a 94 Cobra......has spent a bunch of $ and is still slower. Fail #2.

Already spent faaaaaaaaaaaaar too much on my blown 94 GT.

Not spending the $ upfront on a nice, already fast, low milage car = Fail #3

Quick Reply: Tell us about your nightmare/failed builds