LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Head cam lt1 not making NEAR estimated power.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also you have to remember you are running a mail order tune!! there is no lifter noise is there??
Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We both have 3.42's m6. As far as I know there is no lifter noise. I'm not sure I could pick it out aside from rockers either though.. I think it might be running lean up top, it will hesitate sometimes. I've been thinking about getting some bigger injectors, but that needs to be tuned into the pcm. All of that costs money which i'm pretty damn low on.

What you think I should do that would be most cost efficent? I ordered a lt4 km tonight. HOPING that helps out alot. Try to sell my svo's and get some #36 injectors and dynotune is probably the best/safest route to take..
Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1z28camaro
We both have 3.42's m6. As far as I know there is no lifter noise. I'm not sure I could pick it out aside from rockers either though.. I think it might be running lean up top, it will hesitate sometimes. I've been thinking about getting some bigger injectors, but that needs to be tuned into the pcm. All of that costs money which i'm pretty damn low on.

What you think I should do that would be most cost efficent? I ordered a lt4 km tonight. HOPING that helps out alot. Try to sell my svo's and get some #36 injectors and dynotune is probably the best/safest route to take..
You need to swap out them 3.42's
Old 11-10-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
You need to swap out them 3.42's
I agree completely, 4.10's are in my future, as soon as I hook up decent next year, hello 12 bolt!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Banned

4.10's, a tune and you should pull pretty much any and every bolt on LS1 on the road
Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

4.10's, a tune and you should pull pretty much any and every bolt on LS1 on the road
And most cam only ones once he has everything figured out.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by meanredZ
And most cam only ones once he has everything figured out.
Depending on what cam the LS1 is running...there are some insane cam only LS1's out there
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Depending on what cam the LS1 is running...there are some insane cam only LS1's out there
Very true, those t-rex cam's are pretty stupid it seems like, would be fun to run one though (with car running right of course).

I talked to tuner and he said that lt4 km will not help in this case, which blows. So I guess as of right now I'll have to find myself a good dyno tune and see where I'm at. I'd honestly be suprised if I broke 315rwhp by the looks of the run I had with buddy's ls1.. This is aggravating!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

It will come together! Just takes some time!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the valve adjustment is off it will KILL power. Zero lash+one QUARTER turn. A 1/2 turn at most.

Make sure its not pulling the studs out
Old 11-10-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you have hardened pushrods? maybe they are bent and slowly bending more when you retourqe the rockers. if not maybe a lifter or even cracked rocker arm. just some ideas.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I know. Companies keep coming out with better and better off the shelf cams all the time that put down crazy power, not o mention custom grinds. The OP will just have to stick to racing the small cam only LS1's lol.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
If the valve adjustment is off it will KILL power. Zero lash+one QUARTER turn. A 1/2 turn at most.

Make sure its not pulling the studs out
I've read people doing 3/4 turn then later adding another 1/8 or 1/4 turn to that, seemed like a bit much to me so I did 1/2.. I can only assume if I went back at adjusted them again it would just be noisier at 1/4.

They are making so much freakin noise on the driver side, I don't understand it. I even took it to a mechanic to have them check it out. They couldn't get it to quiet down either, they're adjusted correctly though that's why it's so confusing.

Yeah, I have new hardened pushrods they should be alright.. I think haha.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Bro, I would never do a mail order tune after a head and cam swap. Take it and have a dyno tune done and get some numbers. You gotta be curious what you are making after doing the swap! There's a ton of people that don't degree the cam and have no issues. You should be ok there.

Well Brahh, there's nothing wrong with a mail order tune especially after a head/cam swap. As long as the tuner is competent and experienced in tuning, there's no reason that tune shouldn't get you more than 85% of the way there. I'll agree with Forced Induction, I wouldn't use the mail order tune for more than just getting it to a dyno.

My friend did a 383 with CM stage 2 AL heads, and I forget the cam. PCMforless did him the initial tune. Guess what after dicking around on the dyno for over an hour he only picked up an additional 10rwhp cause the tune was a little on the rich side.

Nothing wrong with a Mail Order tune. Besides even after a Dyno, the best tuning is done with datalogging while driving the car on the street.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lt1z28camaro
I've read people doing 3/4 turn then later adding another 1/8 or 1/4 turn to that, seemed like a bit much to me so I did 1/2.. I can only assume if I went back at adjusted them again it would just be noisier at 1/4.

They are making so much freakin noise on the driver side, I don't understand it. I even took it to a mechanic to have them check it out. They couldn't get it to quiet down either, they're adjusted correctly though that's why it's so confusing.

Yeah, I have new hardened pushrods they should be alright.. I think haha.

Lifters Dictate preload. If they're stock lifters GO no more than 3/4 Turn past zero lash. What brand rockers are they? If they're Pro Mags they're going to be loud..
Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by buffman
Lifters Dictate preload. If they're stock lifters GO no more than 3/4 Turn past zero lash. What brand rockers are they? If they're Pro Mags they're going to be loud..
They are pro mags and comp hydraulic lifters. I figured the rockers would be little louder than stock, which they are, just driver side is more so.. Who knows I'll probably check them again tonight, make sure none are lose. Waiting for the knock module and then going to schedule apointment for dyno asap.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buffman
Well Brahh, there's nothing wrong with a mail order tune especially after a head/cam swap. As long as the tuner is competent and experienced in tuning, there's no reason that tune shouldn't get you more than 85% of the way there. I'll agree with Forced Induction, I wouldn't use the mail order tune for more than just getting it to a dyno.

My friend did a 383 with CM stage 2 AL heads, and I forget the cam. PCMforless did him the initial tune. Guess what after dicking around on the dyno for over an hour he only picked up an additional 10rwhp cause the tune was a little on the rich side.

Nothing wrong with a Mail Order tune. Besides even after a Dyno, the best tuning is done with datalogging while driving the car on the street.
I myself would never do a mail order when rebuilding...that's just me though. I have seen and heard many stories about cars running like **** after mail order tunes when heads and cam come into play. Not saying it wouldn't run ok...I just like being present when the tune takes place so you can see for yourself and adjust the things that may need tweaking if somethings not running proper. Different strokes for different folks
Old 11-11-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A friend of mine ended up getting a mail order tune when he did his 383 build. He went to the track and ran consistant 13's and couldn't figure out what was wrong. took it to get a dynotune and picked up 80rwhp. that's why I'm getting mine dynotuned this winter. I've also got a H/C car and it runs low 13's... I know that it's in the tune.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 AM

I would definitely recheck the rockers and get it tuned on a dyno with air/fuel. Also, check the fuel pressure at WOT and make sure it's not dropping off. My friend's 383 was running slower than usual and it ended up being the fuel pump. Same thing with my old 1993 TA.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ryle
A friend of mine ended up getting a mail order tune when he did his 383 build. He went to the track and ran consistant 13's and couldn't figure out what was wrong. took it to get a dynotune and picked up 80rwhp. that's why I'm getting mine dynotuned this winter. I've also got a H/C car and it runs low 13's... I know that it's in the tune.
Don't let buffman see this post Another reason why having a dyno tune is better then a mail order

Quick Reply: Head cam lt1 not making NEAR estimated power.