LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starting issues

on my 94 TA, i'm having issues with it starting. Battery is brand new and fully charged, and the starter is brand new. When I turn the ignition key, it acts as if the starter is not getting enough power. It struggles to turn over. I tested the draw from the starter at work, and when I hit the ignition key it is drawing 750 amps from the battery. Could a corroded or detoriating cable cause enough resistance to draw 750 amps?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Make sure your starter is good. I have heard of new starters not working from the begining. It should have a warranty if that is the case. Check the two wires that lead to the starter make sure they are clean metal when they connect to the starter. Mine were pretty corroded when I took off the stock starter.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camerory
Make sure your starter is good. I have heard of new starters not working from the begining. It should have a warranty if that is the case. Check the two wires that lead to the starter make sure they are clean metal when they connect to the starter. Mine were pretty corroded when I took off the stock starter.
I cleaned the cable ends when I put the new starter on. The new starter is doing exactly the same as the old when did. The old one even tested good off of the car. I am really leaning towards the cable being bad...The starter works, it just seems to not be getting enough juice to turn the car over.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Okay, when you check the cable make sure you check all the ground connections as well. There is a large ground wire that goes from the front of the engine block to the inner frame rail on the driver's side. I replaced mine because when I bought the car it was frayed and almost cut in half.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Launching!

anyone know if you can still get factory replacement cables?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

I just checked gmpartsdirect.com and they have a few harnesses but not the one that connects to the starter. I have a factory service manual and found the section on the starter. What are the symptoms? These are the 3 choices: engine does not crank-starter solenoid does not click, starter solenoid clicks but engine cranks slowly or not at all, battery is under/overcharged.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Alot of the LT1's I've been working on have had this prob. (mostly f bodies) Its a voltage issue going to the noid. I myself in my impala have changed, the starter 3 times 3 brands, starter cables, upgraded grounds, changed the battery, flex plate, and the ignition switch. The way I solved the problem was by taking a relay and using it to connect power directly from the battery to the starter. The wire that originally went to the noid on the starter goes to one side of the coil for the relay and the other goes to a ground. I found that after changing pretty much everything relating to starting that the noid only gets about 7-10 volts when the key is turned. Mine was only on an intermittent issue and now after installing the relay I have not had an issue. I would first check the voltage going to the starter noid.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlownEarDrums
Alot of the LT1's I've been working on have had this prob. (mostly f bodies) Its a voltage issue going to the noid. I myself in my impala have changed, the starter 3 times 3 brands, starter cables, upgraded grounds, changed the battery, flex plate, and the ignition switch. The way I solved the problem was by taking a relay and using it to connect power directly from the battery to the starter. The wire that originally went to the noid on the starter goes to one side of the coil for the relay and the other goes to a ground. I found that after changing pretty much everything relating to starting that the noid only gets about 7-10 volts when the key is turned. Mine was only on an intermittent issue and now after installing the relay I have not had an issue. I would first check the voltage going to the starter noid.
I think that is going to be my next step. I have a feeling the starter is not getting enough voltage. At first it would slowly turn over, but now it just clicks. hopefully i can reach the solenoid without dropping the y-pipe again.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

jack the car up and have some one turn the key wile your down there with a volt meter. measure the voltage on the heavy cable coming from the battery, heavy wire coming outa the noid going to the motor and the small wire that turns on the solenoid and report back the voltages. anything more than 2 volts under what the battery is means you got prob.

Quick Reply: starting issues