LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

please help wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default please help wont start

When I try to start the car all it does is click. Replaced the starter because I figured maybe the starter was bad and now it has the same issue. I bump started the car and it ran fine. But when I try to start it afterwards it starts once, sounds HORRIBLE starting. Then anytime after that it doesn't start it just goes back to clicking.

I'm freaking lost.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it mite be your alternator if not then ur coil...same thing happened to me but the lites were flipping up slowly but it was the alt.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

+ alt... had the same thing...
Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it's not your TPS then it's your opti taking a ****. If you push start it and it runs with no problems then it's your TPS, if you push start it and runs like **** then it's either TPS, OPTI or BOTH. That's my opnion, went through this with few LT1s. Let us know what u find out, we might learn something new.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alternator? Hmmmm, try to jump it, if it fires up drive it to advance and check the alternator. I honestly doubt it though but I can be wrong. Here's my opnion about the alternator:

When alternators go bad they'll completely drain the battery, if the battery is completely drained (Which in most cases it happens when you keep trying to fire it up as that takes a LOT of the battery) then your engine WON'T EVEN ATTEMPT TO FIRE UP and you wouldn't even hear that "Clicking" sound. Easiest way to check alternator is to jump it, drive to advance and check the alternator.
I still think it's ur TPS or Opti taking a ****.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

Opti is brand new, less than 1000 miles on it so it's not the opti. And the batter has full voltage on crank up. I tested it with a voltmeter. It's not the alternator.

I'm going to check the ground tomorrow, and take back this new starter because that's not it and I'd rather have my money back then anything.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm scared about that for mine.. My 97 TA WS6 A4 clicks for awhile and sounds like complete garbage before it starts if I let it sit in the cold garage without starting it for over 3 days

Got it in a neighbor's garage.. but might man up and scrape my DD to keep it in my warmer, more insulated garage
Old 11-29-2008, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

see i drive the car everyday, it sits in a garage though every night. i thought it might be the starter because i was aware that with the bumped compression the starter might take a crap on me eventually so that's why i thought starter at first, but now i have no idea. checking the ground today after family leaves.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

r u sure you put the wiring back on the starter correctly????just asking....do a voltage drop at the starter make sure to check all wires going down to starter you may have a break in the wires going down to the starter also check the ground cable just above the starter make sure its good.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your issue definitely lies within the starter/wiring. does the starter ever work? try having a friend hold to ignition to crank while you hit the starter motor with a hammer. if it frees up, starter is bad.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by powerhousecamaro
If it's not your TPS then it's your opti taking a ****. If you push start it and it runs with no problems then it's your TPS, if you push start it and runs like **** then it's either TPS, OPTI or BOTH. That's my opnion, went through this with few LT1s. Let us know what u find out, we might learn something new.
wrong and wrong...yes it might be the TPS but your whole reasoning of the push start solving that is just wront, all you're doing in a push start is using the drive train to turn the motor over rather then the starter. And its not the opti, been in the car, no miss anywhere else, no other issue. Opti's have a bad rap but they arent simply not going to work on start up and then work perfectly every where else.

I would say alternator, but you can't drive a car 30 minutes several times running just off the battery, the thing would be completely dead knowing the way you drive it. Starter wiring maybe...but you better hope not or else i wont let you live it down
Old 11-30-2008, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

shut up fool. haha. i got back the old starter and my $150 since that wasn't it. so i'm going to clean the grounds off today and reground it and hopefully that works.

Quick Reply: please help wont start