LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How do you preoil a fresh engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you preoil a fresh engine?

I am just finishing up my forged 355 build. The book I am using, Small-Block Chevy LT-1/LT-4 Engines by Mavrigian, recommends preoiling the engine. He mentions a pressurized oiling cannister.
I Googled it, and found a patent submission for such a system, but could not find one being marketed.
I then searched all the applicable forums here for preoil and found nothing.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use a conventional SBC oil priming tool assuming the motor is out of the car. It goes in where the oil pump drive stub goes.

In the car you can use the pressure tool or turn the motor over to build pressure. Even better to do this with the spark plugs pulled.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering about this also. I had pulled the engine from the top, with no problems. I was however considering putting the new engine back from underneath. I have to put in my tubular k also, so why not? Say you pre oil the engine on the stand, how long will it stay oiled? I am curios how much time you have before most of the oil runs back into pan.

My dillema is if I go from the bottom, I will have the intake on already, which means I will need to pre oil on stand with drill.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

You could have the car on level ground have it out of gear and push it a little. It will prime the oil pump.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default re

I just pull the wire from the opti to the coil and turn it over until the oil pressure gauges reads over 30. plug the wire back in and break the motor in like I will drive it......HARD
Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is really only done on cars with distributor holes you can get to right before you start the car.

WIth an LT1 you cant do that, so its not a good idea to prime the engine and take upwards of 2 days installing it.

Did you put plenty of assembly lube on the bearings, cam, lifters etc? If so when you prime it its going to push all that good thick lube into the oil pan and the oil that takes its place will do the same in the time it takes to install the engine.

FIll the oil filter up to the top, spin it on and crank the engine.

Accusump makes a deal like what your talking about, primarily used to prelube on cold starts and to save the engine in a race situation if the oil pump fails.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-10-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
This is really only done on cars with distributor holes you can get to right before you start the car.

WIth an LT1 you cant do that, so its not a good idea to prime the engine and take upwards of 2 days installing it.

Did you put plenty of assembly lube on the bearings, cam, lifters etc? If so when you prime it its going to push all that good thick lube into the oil pan and the oil that takes its place will do the same in the time it takes to install the engine.

FIll the oil filter up to the top, spin it on and crank the engine.

Accusump makes a deal like what your talking about, primarily used to prelube on cold starts and to save the engine in a race situation if the oil pump fails.
awesome LT1 you got there man. nice numbers for an all motor solid roller LT1
Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really should prime it on the stand to get all the air out of the oiling system. I can take a good 3-5 minutes of priming sometimes. Once you do that you can put the intake on and proceed to putting it in the car. Once in the car you can kill spark and fuel and crank it over to give it a quick prime. The main concern is that all of the air is out of the oiling system.

When you initally start priming a pressure gauge will still show good oil pressure even with air in the system. If you were to start the engine and run it some parts would not be getting oil momentarily.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fergymoto
You really should prime it on the stand to get all the air out of the oiling system. I can take a good 3-5 minutes of priming sometimes. Once you do that you can put the intake on and proceed to putting it in the car. Once in the car you can kill spark and fuel and crank it over to give it a quick prime. The main concern is that all of the air is out of the oiling system.

When you initally start priming a pressure gauge will still show good oil pressure even with air in the system. If you were to start the engine and run it some parts would not be getting oil momentarily.

When I do mine as described above, it gets oil pressure immediately. ANd even if it didnt theres plenty of lube to keep it happy till it does.

You prime it on the stand, push all the assembly lube out of the bearings, take 2 days to get the motor in and running(this is usually a minimum, often 3-4 days) you think that system is gonna STAY primed? After you pushed all the assembly lube into the pan?

Im just sayin
Old 12-10-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by StangeatinZ28
awesome LT1 you got there man. nice numbers for an all motor solid roller LT1

Thanks alot, waitin on some better air for some 10.70's!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You prime it on the stand, push all the assembly lube out of the bearings, take 2 days to get the motor in and running(this is usually a minimum, often 3-4 days) you think that system is gonna STAY primed? After you pushed all the assembly lube into the pan?
Yes it is. It is not going to hold 30lbs of pressure for 3 days or 3 minutes but the air is going to be out of the oiling system. It will stay primed
Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do you people think happens when you shut a motor off and leave for a week/month? You think all the oil just disappears?

Just prime it and forget it!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

im sure both ways would be fine... i prolly would just do what fastfatboy said tho... its easier
Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 AM
TECH Regular

We used like an old distributor gear or something for mine from a SBC. Put a drill on it, mechanical gauge in the oil sending unit hole, and fired the drill up. Started the car 30~ hours later. My builder said never start the engine before priming it.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I primed and primed and primed mine until the entire valvetrain was oiled, also. Took probably an hour. Turning the engine over a 1/4 turn every once in a while helps, too.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

get the engine in the car pull the ignition fuse. then turn the key to prime it. simple as that. at least thats what boyd cottington does
Old 12-15-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

He's also not an engine builder. lol
Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

IF you have the motor out with intake off rent borrow or make a tool to do it. I made one out of a 4.3 plastic distrubutor. masterlube.net makes a neat device. Which I own 2 of. IT is a preluber accumulator. You can pressureize then engine prior to start up and then if you switch it to on position. It will shoot oil in the motor if it senses a drop in oil pressure. And if it is in the car already then the spark plug idea is the best because it will spin over easy.

Quick Reply: How do you preoil a fresh engine?