LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant question

I Have a 1996 z28, i was browsing a coolant spec. book and came across a page on LT1 Camaro/birds. I See that Dex-Cool is recommended, I know the background on both regular coolant and dex-cool. I know that dex-cool doesn't break down into acid as quick but can cause blockages because of thickness. what do you guys run in your car? have you had problems? what precautions do you take? Mine has the mods listed in my sig, and has the regular green coolant in it. I'm not sure what to use.

Yes, I did search. I couldn't find what I needed, that doesn't mean it's not there.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run straight distilled water with a bottle of water wetter and a bottle of water pump lubricant
Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the distilled water. That is all I have ever run since I raced motocross in the early 80s and had tap water eat holes in my radiators.
AFA coolant, I stopped using DexCool, too many issues. I just picked up some Peak Long Life at Autozone, buy one get one free. Comes in a blue bottle, 5 year fluid, works with all systems, and has no DexCool issues.

Quick Reply: coolant question