LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what does it take to go to a monoblade TB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
I don't know what it can do, but I'm not sure if the factory (or aftermarket) ram air can do 1000cfm (58mm) or 1300cfm (monoblade) for that matter :\

Ed Wright ran 9.90 normally aspirated with a factory WS6 setup. I believe he is still using it with his super stock setup.

I made 470 to the tires with a 4L60E, 9 inch rear, steel driveshaft WIth a Ws6 ram air setup and a monoblade. SO it works pretty good.

A K&N CAI with a larger filter will flow 1300 CFM.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Running a monoblade with a maxed out 1400cfm D1SC, tuned by Ed Wright. I 'll let you know how it drives in a few weeks
Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Oh hands down the LT1 Ws6 Ram Air will out flow anything else IMO just not sure that I would see gains by going to the monoblade over my 58
Keep in mind that your restriction (I feel) is the nostrils. And a custom made 4" CAI would most likely win over the Ram Air. Alternatively, I don't have to worry about EITHER (nor would you with a tune) with my SD, so I can just chuck a big *** cone filter right on my TB

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Ed Wright ran 9.90 normally aspirated with a factory WS6 setup. I believe he is still using it with his super stock setup.

I made 470 to the tires with a 4L60E, 9 inch rear, steel driveshaft WIth a Ws6 ram air setup and a monoblade. SO it works pretty good.

A K&N CAI with a larger filter will flow 1300 CFM.
Right, but flowing 1300cfm through the Mono, and requiring it, are different things! Is Ed (or did) running the Mono too? We both know that 470hp doesn't require even what the 58 or 54mm TBs offer. I know that the Ram Air can flow a substantial amount of what the stock TB can, but I dunno... 1300cfm sounds like quite a bit :\ Just how I feel though, as I'm no expert!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9.90 with a Factory ram air is proof enough for me it works!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Formula350
Keep in mind that your restriction (I feel) is the nostrils. And a custom made 4" CAI would most likely win over the Ram Air. Alternatively, I don't have to worry about EITHER (nor would you with a tune) with my SD, so I can just chuck a big *** cone filter right on my TB

Right, but flowing 1300cfm through the Mono, and requiring it, are different things! Is Ed (or did) running the Mono too? We both know that 470hp doesn't require even what the 58 or 54mm TBs offer. I know that the Ram Air can flow a substantial amount of what the stock TB can, but I dunno... 1300cfm sounds like quite a bit :\ Just how I feel though, as I'm no expert!
You MIGHT want to read that a little closer, I made 470 the THE REAR TIRES, so that means I make close to 600 at the crank.

Or you think I can make that power through a 58 MM, I dont.

ALso I would think the area of the "nostrils" would be comparable to a 4 inch pipe.

Furthermore a "big *** filter" straight on the TB will not perform as well as a CAI, Because its getting hot underhood air. I already confirmed this with a buddies car that had a FAST system on it and an open TB. We put my K&N CAI on it and it picked up ET, had no filter on it.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-17-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You MIGHT want to read that a little closer, I made 470 the THE REAR TIRES, so that means I make close to 600 at the crank.

Or you think I can make that power through a 58 MM, I dont.

ALso I would think the area of the "nostrils" would be comparable to a 4 inch pipe.

Furthermore a "big *** filter" straight on the TB will not perform as well as a CAI, Because its getting hot underhood air. I already confirmed this with a buddies car that had a FAST system on it and an open TB. We put my K&N CAI on it and it picked up ET, had no filter on it.

I suppose you're right, I was thinking more that people rated the stock TB to ~400 RWHP, then again maybe they are.

I honestly don't know, and this is simply an estimated guess, but I'd think your only sucking down around 800cfm. Quick google searched turned up a calculator that puts you at 900cfm for 600hp, but you're running @ 116% VE which is extremely high for a N/A motor from my understanding. Which is that your average motor is working at around 80% VE, a built motor in the 90-95% range and then FI being 100+ depending on the size of the super/turbocharger.

One could always utilize the ram air hood as a fresh air inlet and have the TB Cone filter be in a housing of sorts like what was around the bottom of Shaker hoods, that seals up when the hood is shut. So there would then be no hot air. Yet there is still the nostril limitation (if there is one), but there's ways to defeat that hot air.

But, this is all just speculation on my part, I have nothing to really back myself up with other than a small bit of math/science, which even then just leaves me with an estimated guess!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You get losses with every piece of equipment added. Lets say as individual pieces the throttle body flows 1300cfm, the air intake tube flows 1300cfm and the air filter flows 1300cfm. When they are all hooked up and flowed as a unit the flow will be less than 1300cfm. The idea is to keep the plenum as close to atmospheric pressure as possible during WOT.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
You get losses with every piece of equipment added. Lets say as individual pieces the throttle body flows 1300cfm, the air intake tube flows 1300cfm and the air filter flows 1300cfm. When they are all hooked up and flowed as a unit the flow will be less than 1300cfm. The idea is to keep the plenum as close to atmospheric pressure as possible during WOT.
Right, to ensure 1300cfm into the TB you would need an air filter that flows OVER 1300cfm, say 1500cfm, and then a CAI tubing + elbow that can flow 1400cfm to allow for the TB to flow it's designed 1300cfm. Otherwise with a filter flowing 1300 I assume that the turbulence will make the CAI not flow 1300cfm and then the bend at the elbow reduces more so the TB can't flow it's 1300cfm. Ideally an extremely high flowing Ram Air setup w/o a TB could flow enough for the mono (assuming the nostrils can allow for it).

# of times "Flow" was said in this post: 13
# of times "Flow" was said in just my reply: 8

Quick Reply: what does it take to go to a monoblade TB?