LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam Heads Combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This kind of post always sparks a huge debate...I run neither Ai nor LEs stuff but I've seen a lot of good track numbers out of Ais stuff...I've also had PMs with Lloyd before and he seems like a good guy...

I wouldnt jump 96caprice too much... He just cant stand seeing folks make mistakes in their builds and is very vocal about it...I'm the same as him but a little less vocal about it...

My advice is to look at who is going fast and has the type of car/set up you are looking for...The whole car has to work together...Dont get sucked into the big cam is better theory either...I run a 226/234 Joe Overton/Erson grind with Lingenfelter/E.B. Porting heads on my 383 and it is driven everywhere...My dyno numbers make most laugh, but the trap speeds make those same folks cry...

Good luck...

--Alan
Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good point, dyno numbers are not the measure of an engine, there is more too it than drivetrain and suspension too.

I am only running 3400/3.73/27" DOT slick, sport/handling shocks, nothing radical nothing special. It 60fts very well compared to even a lot of stroker cars with more stall and gear in them. Makes great torque below where chassis dynos generally are asked to read which maks it launch and drive well.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets try and keep this civilized guys, I will dig up some more info on some of the suggestions posted. I have been trying to search the site all day but for some reason the damn page freezes up.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PS I do not have to worry about emissions. I live in MT
Old 01-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Lets try and keep this civilized guys, I will dig up some more info on some of the suggestions posted. I have been trying to search the site all day but for some reason the damn page freezes up.
Got a little extra with your thread

Either way you go (AI or LE) you will be happy. Both quality stuff.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Got a little extra with your thread

Either way you go (AI or LE) you will be happy. Both quality stuff.
Ya, both make qualty products...

FYI,All threads about this subject end the same way..
Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't say anything about A1, but i've spoke to Lloyd a few times, the guy is just great IMO, he isn't just in this for the $$$, he enjoys the sport, along with helping his fellow chevy guys out, I also like the fact he is a Mopar fan too, he has built a few & loves em, when or if i ever get around to a cam, or head/cam package, Lloyd will get my business.

Whether your hard up for cash, or have it too spend, he takes the time to give you the ins/outs of what can/can't be done.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LM97Z
I can't say anything about A1, but i've spoke to Lloyd a few times, the guy is just great IMO, he isn't just in this for the $$$, he enjoys the sport, along with helping his fellow chevy guys out
Well, no **** - I'm certain there are no guys in the level of the sport we're talking about who'll say "naw - I don't need to make more money". Don't kid yourself - they are all in it for the (some) money.

A1 is a steak sauce you put on crappy meat when you can't afford fillet mignon.

Ai is name of the best cylinder head/valve train guys out there. They are, in fact, the 'fillet mignon' of the business. A little Ricky Bobby rationale for ya
Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Well, no **** - I'm certain there are no guys in the level of the sport we're talking about who'll say "naw - I don't need to make more money". Don't kid yourself - they are all in it for the (some) money.

A1 is a steak sauce you put on crappy meat when you can't afford fillet mignon.

Ai is name of the best cylinder head/valve train guys out there. They are, in fact, the 'fillet mignon' of the business. A little Ricky Bobby rationale for ya
Wow he was simply stating his experience with Lloyd...what is this coc* sucker day on LS1. You and 96Capr should get a room
Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GoFastKid
Wow he was simply stating his experience with Lloyd...what is this coc* sucker day on LS1. You and 96Capr should get a room
...I was simply responding to it, and exercising some friendly levity with the typo (and not your typo anyway). You don't like it, **** off - use the ignore function.

Oh, and we have & we're going to use it tonight to tag team your sister, GoSlowKid
Old 01-02-2009, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you never heard negative feedback it is only because you ignored it.

I have said it before, you kids can't tell the difference between service and being serviced.
You sing the same old song and dance about them every time you post. Your **** is getting so damn old now. We all get it, you LOVE Advanced Induction. You sleep at night with an Advanced Induction catalog under your pillow. Your wallpaper on your pc is the AI homepage. Oh please oh please tell us once again, how you made the brilliant choice to have an AI package bolted on to your car. We haven't heard it in a day or so.

The second I clicked on this thread I KNEW you'd be all over it, and there you are, post #2. What a shock.

I am not knocking AI at all, they make some great stuff, BUT there are OTHER people who BELIEVE IT OR NOT, know a thing or 2 about making a car go fast. You get so adamant when someone merely suggest checking out a different place, as though you are on the AI payroll or something.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

AI do have a nice web site.
In my experience with AI my heads look awesome really Quality work.
the Camshaft differant story for some reason when I did the motor pushrods were 7.3 Phil from AI couldn't figure it out why so long when the stock were only 7.2 back then he thought my builder did something wrong but 2 yrs later after I rebuilt it again there camshaft had been ground alot smaller the base circle was small but the lift wasn't that big for it to have such a small base if fact my new 227 camshaft has a bigger lift on the exh side and its base is bigger, but anyway thats why I needed longer push rods but I kinda wonder why phil didn't think or know that?
maybe I had a bad grind.

but performance wise maybe it was my set up but thats why i thought you bought custom grinds but what ever there grind wasn't even up to par in my opinion i couldn't chirp in second gear and had lost to a few race's even my nephews 99 TA spank me and hes all stock.
now on my rebuilt LT1 same heads,tranny, verter,new bearings,rings,oil pump,pretty much the same set-up but with the crane 227, BIG DIFFERANCE punch it at 40mph and your burning tires. it pulls hard all the way shift points around 5900rpms I had not had some much fun with this car from the day I rebuilt her.
2 race's aready and hands down wins

Last edited by slagger; 01-02-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
...I was simply responding to it, and exercising some friendly levity with the typo (and not your typo anyway). You don't like it, **** off - use the ignore function.

Oh, and we have & we're going to use it tonight to tag team your sister, GoSlowKid
Lol..nice language..and you're allowed on here??

Guess 96Capri was right about "Kids" being on here
Old 01-02-2009, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slagger
AI do have a nice web site.
In my experience with AI my heads look awesome really Quality work.
the Camshaft differant story for some reason when I did the motor pushrods were 7.3 Phil from AI couldn't figure it out why so long when the stock were only 7.2 back then he thought my builder did something wrong but 2 yrs later after I rebuilt it again there camshaft had been ground alot smaller the base circle was small but the lift wasn't that big for it to have such a small base if fact my new 227 camshaft has a bigger lift on the exh side and its base is bigger, but anyway thats why I needed longer push rods but I kinda wonder why phil didn't think or know that?
maybe I had a bad grind.

but performance wise maybe it was my set up but thats why i thought you bought custom grinds but what ever there grind wasn't even up to par in my opinion i couldn't chirp in second gear and had lost to a few race's even my nephews 99 TA spank me and hes all stock.
now on my rebuilt LT1 same heads,tranny, verter,new bearings,rings,oil pump,pretty much the same set-up but with the crane 227, BIG DIFFERANCE punch it at 40mph and your burning tires. it pulls hard all the way shift points around 5900rpms I had not had some much fun with this car from the day I rebuilt her.
2 race's aready and hands down wins
interesting story...you planning on coming out to Fontana on 1/10? I would like to see your car run...I'll even bring the Pepsi's
Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Lol..nice language..and you're allowed on here??

Guess 96Capri was right about "Kids" being on here
does the word '****' offend you? sorry, how does 'buzz-off' sound? better?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned

Yes, it makes me want to cry. Buzz off works, thanks
Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, it makes me want to cry. Buzz off works, thanks
glad I could oblige.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't plan on it but that sounds good,
If I don't work I might be there.
I'm learning how not to punch it off the line becuase the tire's spin like crazy but I will have to take some air out to grab alittle better.
when I raced my buddys firebird ( he wanted to see what my formula could do)
I let him get up on me while I gradualy got on the gas he was ahead of me but once I hit second I gave all the gas and the tires still broke loose and once I got traction I flew past him.

I won't know untill thursaday if I work Saturday but if not I will be there.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What the hell did I start? all I wanted was some suggestions because my search function was not working.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vanilla89
what cam you got in that thing H/R or S/R????

One thing a lot of people dont understand about et and mph.Is that when spin off the line the mph goes up and the et slows down,and when you hook mph goes down and et speeds up...
I was running a 230/24x cam for lots of nitrous. It was a H/R.

I think the ET vs. MPH changes that you are describing are much more of a factor with very low 60ft times or lots of spinning. I probably had 40 passes 96+ mph. In negative 600ft air I went 7.3 at 98.47 with a high 1.6 60ft. My average 60ft was 1.65 to 1.68. My best ever 60ft on motor was a 1.59.

It is hard to hook up a car at a track that is a parking lot during the football games. At our real track I ran 7.29 at 95.6 with a 1.61 60ft. The DA on that run was +2300ft. Do the altitude conversion on that run and my car looks consistent.

My car dyno'd 343rwhp through the th400 in 100 degree heat. I changed the intake and exhaust but added a 9 inch and run slicks. Who knows or cares what it dyno'd on the 97mph runs.

Good parts and attention to detail make for a fast car.

Quick Reply: Cam Heads Combo