LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam swap

hey guys. i'm wanting to change cams on a friends '97 lt and was curious if i have to remove intake to do so> or can i do it another way like using the magnetic lifter holders to bring lifters off cam enough to clear journals like the ford guys do? thanks for any help! -Ron.

Last edited by da.racing; 01-05-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by da.racing
hey guys. i'm wanting to change cams on a friends '97 lt and was curious if i have to remove intake to do so> or can i do it another way like using the magnetic lifter holders to bring lifters off cam enough to clear journals like the ford guys do? thanks for any help! -Ron.
Nope. The intake manifold, water pump, optispark, timing cover, timing chain, and cooling fans all need to come out.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

if you don't know by now, lt1 motors are not the easiest motors to work on.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 PM

i do know...
Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah it needs to come off, I wouldn't do a cam swap without getting new pushrods, springs and 1.6's while you're in there, and I would get new lifters too.....you don't want the valvetrain to **** it's pants with the bigger cam.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^yeah, its alllll gotta come off . its not that bad once you do it a couple times. LT1's are fun to work on once you figure out all the stupid tricks to do stuff!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by da.racing
Along with the swap throw on a new timing chain as well. Look into some LS7 lifters, new Hardened Pushrods "Trickflows" are good ones, shims, locks, retainers, 1.6 rockers, comp beehive valve springs. Better do do it all at the same time since you'll be in there.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

Don't rule out a new opti as well. If the stock units never been changed it's a good idea to do so!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM

car has a relatively new 383, tfs heads and all comp valvetrain, ported lt4 intake with big throttle body and in the next few days will be putting on the new msd opti, being the stock one went crapola. shortly, i'll be switching to a turbo set-up and don't need all the overlap from the cam i have now, that's the reason for the change while i'll be in the front of the engine anyway.. thanks for the info..sounds like fun for me
Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you read up on the MSD unit?? It is not the upgrade you are likely assuming it is. If the stock opti failed at low mileage buy a new vent harness, the stock opti is more reliable than the MSD. Guys will argue that one but some of them shut up after it fails at low mileage.

Reason the intake has to come off is to remove the oil pump drive.

Stock lifters are fine, I have never bought a lifter, put responsibly spec'd parts together right and you wont have any issues.

In my Caprice it is so easy to pull the motor that I just pull the engine and tranny together for a cam swap, I did it in car once and will pull the motor from now on. Then again I have never pulled the engine out of an f-body so maybe it is a nightmare. What I do know is the engine is a long ways from all sides of the Caprice and pulling it is easier than leaning way into the car for all that time. elps keep thing cleaner too, no accidentally dropping something into the oilpan as it dangles or anything.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Yeah, do take into consideration about the MSD opti. I'm running a MSD myself but only because it was my first mod I did when I did the tune up right after I got the car. Shortly after I bought the car I started scanning through this site and saw a few guys having bad luck with them. I haven't had any issues with mine but for the price of the MSD I would def go with the stock replacement if I had to do it over again.