LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LOW oil Pressure???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LOW oil Pressure???

Ok so My oild pressure is fine at cold idle. but warm idle its close to zero. right above the red mark. I have been told its the pickup too. is this true? also I drove it a couple times probley about 20 like this and people said it will cause my bearings to do but won't I be able to hear that? It makes NO noise at all and runs perfect. the car has 179k on it.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's the oil level? When its that low it isn't a good thing. Makes me wonder about the oil pump.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only way to tell is to look at it man. Bearings can wear out and cause this and it will run fine until something big happens, such as spun bearing or thrown rod. Id pull the pan and replace the pump and pickup and go from there, it aint fun but it could save your motor.
Have you had a mechanical gauge on it yet?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by harner
How's the oil level? When its that low it isn't a good thing. Makes me wonder about the oil pump.
the level is fine. it only does this when it comes to a stop or at a light idling etc. I am gonna replace the oil pump and pickup.
Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Only way to tell is to look at it man. Bearings can wear out and cause this and it will run fine until something big happens, such as spun bearing or thrown rod. Id pull the pan and replace the pump and pickup and go from there, it aint fun but it could save your motor.
Have you had a mechanical gauge on it yet?
I'm not gonna drive it till I get a new pump and pickup on it and go from there. when the pans down Ill check the bearings out.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just fyi, When my pickup fell off my pressure at idle was around 10-15, but if I stopped fast it would go all the way down to zero and my check gauges light would come on, if I stopped slow it would just go down to around 10.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Just fyi, When my pickup fell off my pressure at idle was around 10-15, but if I stopped fast it would go all the way down to zero and my check gauges light would come on, if I stopped slow it would just go down to around 10.
my check gauges light comes on every once and awhile. How hard is it to fix the pickup? should I weld it on?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had my pickup tack welded onto my pump just for extra security. Pickup was a pain in the *** to fix. I had to jack my motor up and drop the k member to get the pan all the way out, which most people with automatics dont have to drop the k member but i had to.

Easy way to check if your pickup fell off is to drain the oil and stick a metal wire or something into the oil drain and see if anything is sliding around in there.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

I had my pickup tack welded onto my pump just for extra security. Pickup was a pain in the *** to fix. I had to jack my motor up and drop the k member to get the pan all the way out, which most people with automatics dont have to drop the k member but i had to.

Easy way to check if your pickup fell off is to drain the oil and stick a metal wire or something into the oil drain and see if anything is sliding around in there.
Should I get a new pick up tube or can I reuse the old one? It will probley be on a lift so it should be easier for me. I need to get a new pump just cause I don't want to blow the motor. If its blown the car will be sold or built to take alittle more this time. How much are new bearings for it if thats the problem?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the bearings are shot you can buy a whole rebuild kit from summit for 500 bucks i think, then you have to add any machine work and labor you will need.
The pump should come with a new pickup.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

If the bearings are shot you can buy a whole rebuild kit from summit for 500 bucks i think, then you have to add any machine work and labor you will need.
The pump should come with a new pickup.
Thats not to bad. The question is how much will someone charge to do it cause I don't have the time with school anymore...I will hope for the best and if its the bearings after I switch everything else then it will get a stroker crank (383) and forged rods and pistons and some spray most likey.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant answer that one for ya, just depends on how wild of a build you go with and who does it. I doubt you could do a 383 bottom end for less than 2000 dollars though.

It may be the oil pump though, after I changed mine I went from 10-15 psi at idle to over 20.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

I cant answer that one for ya, just depends on how wild of a build you go with and who does it. I doubt you could do a 383 bottom end for less than 2000 dollars though.

It may be the oil pump though, after I changed mine I went from 10-15 psi at idle to over 20.
Thats what I am hoping. I am just gonna replace the pump and pickup and see if that helps alot. when they get replaced I can check out the bearings anyway so I will know right then. Most likey. I hope that is all it is. I had other things in mind other then engine mods.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ha, I know what you mean man, both my cars are in my driveway with busted trannies.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Ha, I know what you mean man, both my cars are in my driveway with busted trannies.
damn you worse off then Me. Atleast my Third gen is running and driving and bringing terror to the town. lol. I accutally Had to start driving the toyota truck I have because so many people know my red third gen and people were stopping all the time to talk or try and run me. LOL.

Quick Reply: LOW oil Pressure???