LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fastbird93 Single Turbo Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
hahahahah you aren't serious are you???? The simple fact that I DO understand opti's is why I threw mine in the trash can... And here is why... Cause the opti is a massive piece of ****. High cylinder pressures and gobs of power will simply overpower it. Not saying you can't make power without it. This setup will make power but the fact that he is going with a FAST XFI unit he has the ability to run a crank trigger and true distributor. Whether that is in the budget is his personal preference. But for high power applications an MSD crank trigger and true rear mount distributor will **** on an optispark unit anyday of the week. And not only because the opti fails with moisture, but because it's just not a reliable piece of equipment at over 500-600 hp and 7000RPMS.... And this combo is going to make more than that at full boost....

Show me how many 9 second or faster LT1's are still running opti's.... chances are there are not that many. Not saying there is none but I guarantee if you look under the hoods of the big dogs an opti is nowhere to be found....

But back to the original reason for the post. Sean I love the build. Turbo is the way to go, hence my decision to swap over to one at some point when it's financially feasible....
I fully hear and understand everything you're posting here man. I considered it, but right now the budget don't allow it and I may HAVE to live with the opti for a while due to other more important things in my life. I'd like it all to work fine but if I start running into massive issues then it's going to be off with the opti and a swap. I'm just hoping everything works well together and it's not a big steaming turd. Still won't be as fast as your car though man!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Seeing how much money you have into this build already, a crank trigger/dist. isnt THAT much money, just considering how much you already have into this build. But then again this build could have made you bankrupt, i dunno, lol.

Now OUTLAW, do you NEED to run a crank trigger with a dist? Or can you just run the dist. off the cam gear like OG style gen1? Just a idea to save some money if he can
Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fully hear and understand everything you're posting here man. I considered it, but right now the budget don't allow it and I may HAVE to live with the opti for a while due to other more important things in my life. I'd like it all to work fine but if I start running into massive issues then it's going to be off with the opti and a swap. I'm just hoping everything works well together and it's not a big steaming turd. Still won't be as fast as your car though man!!!
oh believe me i know it comes down to dollars and sense.... it's the reason why my car doesn't have a 101MM single hanging off the front with a air to water intercooler..... I think you will be fine up to a certain power point.... i don't know where the opti will start giving up the ghost cause it's different for everyone.... It will not be a steaming turd.... And with the stock intake a rear mount dist is a royal PITA... i'm completely agreeing with that fact....

Now OUTLAW, do you NEED to run a crank trigger with a dist? Or can you just run the dist. off the cam gear like OG style gen1? Just a idea to save some money if he can
Interesting question.... I suppose you could but the dist would need some type of cam sync in it for it to work so the FAST knows where/when to fire the motor on it's rotation... I, like Tony run a dist without a cam sync and a crank trigger to provide the crank signal and the FAST plugs right into that... I suppose with a FAST Dist with cam sync inside you could get it to run just fine.... Funny though that the money you save without buying the crank trigger, goes right back into the cost of the dist WITH the cam sync.... Cause a dist without the cam sync is like 120 bucks.... WITH the sync it's like 300 bucks.... so you'll end up breaking even....
Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

yea, its the ol' give and take game there! gotta love it. So whats the deal with this one, plug and play or still need a crank trigger. someone cheap compared to a new opti.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 01-14-2009, 05:04 PM
9 Second Club

uhhh yeah with that price it probably has a cam sync...... The FAST XFI system has a plug that will plug right into that...

good luck getting it to work with a stock PCM... you'd be up to your knees in wiring...

If I was gonna do it i'd do a FAST distributor that they sell with the cam sync.... you won't need to shop around to find plugs or splice any wires.... their dist plugs right into their cam plug on the XFI harness.... no crank trigger required then i think.....

i'm not sure 100%. The way i did mine was the way that I though all the big boys do it.... But I can't run in sequential mode..... when i have the motor out i'll put in a dist with a cam sync and switch my XFI to sequential instead of bank to bank and then i'll be able to tune out cylinder to cylinder lean/rich conditions.....
Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

so the opti's a real turd at 700hp? or is it more the high rpm's? cuz i may be spendin $10k on my build but my banks constantly empty and there's no room for this swap
Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

on the oppisite side can you run the fast xfi with the crank trigger and just coil packs no distributer at all?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know of a mid 8 second LT1 that runs an Opti with an F1 blower with the stock PCM. I feel like the opti gets a bad rep
Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my son's booster seat fits right into the kirkey for cruises and stuff! plus he can see over the dash now!

i went 9.40 with an opti. but never seemed to last... AT ALL. what is more cost effective spending over $500 for a piece of **** dynaspark opti, and then having it break rebuild it...sell it! then what buy another opti, lmmfao!!! last one i had i chucked hard down a concrete floor! batch fire sucks, unless you are running a carb style intake. i have had to make a fair bit of adjustment with the fast to make all 8 cylinders happy with my forward facing lt style intake.

i ran batch on my old accel gen 6, it worked great for what it is! but having the ability to run sequential and not is ashame, but i can also relate to the almighty budget, either way it catches up.

oh and cool build!!! especially since you have a clutch behind it! that simply means you drive the car.... not it taking you for a ride
Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

not to hijack the build thread, which is badass still!! but whats the difference between batch fire and sequential?

Looking out for and trying to learn some info here FASTBIRD93
Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
not to hijack the build thread, which is badass still!! but whats the difference between batch fire and sequential?

Looking out for and trying to learn some info here FASTBIRD93
It's all good man, I'm picking up some things too. I've seen a few guys eclipse some big numbers and times with an opti, and that's what I'm shooting for but down the road who knows. Some really good info in this thread now though!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

so if the opti liks to go in a 9s lt1 would it be a better choice to buyin a cheap knew one from ebay or goin wit the $500 msd?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

i hear stock GM ones are the best and the MSD's crap out even faster JUST what iv heard so dont hold it against me
Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd stick with a stocker. I plan to at least. Hoping I'll be ok because I'm not planning on revving the car to the moon.....with the turbo I'm expecting to be shifting around 6500 or so tops.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
whats the difference between batch fire and sequential?
from what i understand (i could be wrong) batch fire fires 1 bank at a time and sequential fires the cylinders that need to be fired
Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fastbird, thats a really nice setup, thats exactly what im looking to do with my car, good luck with the build, cant wait to see the numbers
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 AM
9 Second Club

Here's the deal with opti's. They are great for what GM intended. Which is a 275-285 hp LT1 that gets reasonably good burn.... okay now start putting on more compression, heads and cam, crazy lift, massive amounts of boost and or nitrous.... cylinder pressures go thru the roof. Then you decide you want more boost so you put C16 race gas in it (which BTW is HARDER to ignite).... All the while that little POS opti on there is seriously LOVING your spins up to 7200 RPMS while it works it's little heart out trying to deliver a spark strong enough to combust the air/nitrous/fuel/boost mixture you're cramming into your engine....

Fastbird will get by with the opti. he might have good luck with it.... I ran all the way down to 10.40@131 with my little 355 with the ORIGINAL opti so i don't hate on opti's cause i had bad luck like taner and alot of others.. mine provided me great service... But to me I don't like to be "THAT GUY" that talks big **** then goes to the track and has to tell ppl "well my opti crapped out which is why my car is breaking up and only running 13.7"..... Nobody ever respects "THAT GUY"...... I know a few of them at my track. The ones with a claimed 800hp-1000hp but they've got a 10 bolt and sticky tires The ones that only run their mouth and not their car. My last build that is the current setup in the car I wanted to do as a no excuses kind of deal. Something that could run at the track time and time again without incident and without anything going wrong.... Reliable, consistent, BIG power.... and to me a crank trigger and a rear mount IF the money is there is the way to do that..... Having an opti with massive amounts of power is like russian roulette. You're always gonna be wondering "is this the pass that it's gonna explode????" "off soapbox"

know of a mid 8 second LT1 that runs an Opti with an F1 blower with the stock PCM. I feel like the opti gets a bad rep
Got any photos of this setup or where he's at???? Cause hell if he's running mid 8's with a stock PCM and an opti he needs to come on here and enlighten us as to how he's doing it.... seriously. cause only until these phantom dudes that don't come on the net come out and tell us how the opti is going to continue to be underestimated.... And I can't understand if someone is running those times with an LT1 and an opti and stock PCM how we haven't heard about it.... Someone has to tune that thing or he had to get some help somewhere....

batch fire sucks, unless you are running a carb style intake. i have had to make a fair bit of adjustment with the fast to make all 8 cylinders happy with my forward facing lt style intake
yeah i run bank to bank. it's not necessarily batch which IIRC fires all injectors at once no? mine fires one bank and then fires the opposite bank. My tuner doesn't like it much but like you said i'm running a Victor intake. With your forward feed your back cylinders tend to run rich and your fronts run lean no???? front runners sucking in all that fresh air and the backs have to fend for themselves???? even with bank to bank my plugs all looked even....
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

how bout coil packs? i know they still use the opti but just for the craank trigger right? is that a better alternative or not really? i just feel that the swap to a traditional distrubutor 1. is alot of work 2. to much on my skinny empty wallet
Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got any photos of this setup or where he's at???? Cause hell if he's running mid 8's with a stock PCM and an opti he needs to come on here and enlighten us as to how he's doing it.... seriously. cause only until these phantom dudes that don't come on the net come out and tell us how the opti is going to continue to be underestimated.... And I can't understand if someone is running those times with an LT1 and an opti and stock PCM how we haven't heard about it.... Someone has to tune that thing or he had to get some help somewhere....
Look up Lisa33 on CamaroZ28.com. Not all of the fastest guys around post on LS1tech, or the internet for that matter. In a 3650lb car with some ported 195 trickflows from Lloyd, Bret Bauer cam (HR), 4L80E with around a 3,000 vig, 3.42 geared 9inch, 383, F1 procharger, and of course and opti and stock PCM. That setup went 9.44 at 144, and he could drive it on the street. They switched cars (non F-body) and went 8.41 at 161mph.

In fact his buddy has a late model mustang (yea you heard me right, mustang ,lol) that has a 383 LT1 in it with Nitrous and F1R hoping to go 7's
Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

hmmmm interesting...... yeah i realize not everyone is on ls1tech..... i had heard camaroz28 was loaded with goons and idiots which is why i don't ever go there...

i'll check it out.... Yeah i figured it had to be something (chassis swap) cause you'd have to make an assload of power to run mid 8's in a 3400lb f-body... that's alot of power for the stock PCM. a chassis change to something lighter makes alot mroe sense....

mustang with an LT1.... interesting....

Quick Reply: Fastbird93 Single Turbo Build Thread