LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What's the quickest/cheapest for 12s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSWHO
WTF is so hard to understand about no nitrous!?!?!!?!?!
So what your sayin is NO
NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!
NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!
NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!

?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackz6sp
So what your sayin is NO
NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!
NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS! NITROUS!

?
Not quite, but you're in the right direction. It's no nitrous right now, maybe later. BUT NOT NOW!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nitrous?

Ok, ok I kid.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSWHO
WTF is so hard to understand about no nitrous!?!?!!?!?!
ok so no nitrous.....ewp. ive read its about 8rwhp pick up. i didnt really see a difference. i would do gears like 100 other people said. dude, on the instal, put a solid sleeve instead of a crush sleeve (8$), and make your tolerances a lttle tighter. and if your STILL worried, put a studded rear cover for 120 $. SLOP is what lets **** break. that is my exact set up. less than 400 $. and the calculator that was posted earlier shows you will get 120 mph out of a 26 inch tire on 4.10s on 4l60e 1:1 3rd gear so NO od. im speaking from experience. im not guessing.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i love people who can predict that you will gain a certain amount of power or e t. buy a gallon of nitromethane..........its under 400 bucks........its not nitrous........and i predict 12's
Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

if you dont want nitrous i suggest long tubes......if you already have that, then you should get some cam action going and retune that biotch
Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

i say mayb some adjustable rear shocks. try and get it to not squat as bad. also how are u leaving on the convertor. are u letting it flash or are u just holdin it as much as it will foot brake
Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TravisMcGill2000
r. are u letting it flash or are u just holdin it as much as it will foot brake
Tried both. Seems to like 2k rpm instead of 1200 or idle.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

I skipped a couple pages but realistically 102.x isn't going to get you a 12 second pass...

So that being said, you need to get it down to about a 1.7x 60' time and pick up another MPH.

I'd say the rockers are your best option. Buy someone's cheap SA rockers then sell 'em when you're ready to do a cam. No need to do big springs, NSA setup, etc for just rockers.

Everyone goes through changes in their setup. There's no such thing as "buy it once" for these cars. I've gone through numerous setups and have done well with them all and moved on from them as time went on.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

how about 2500+ launch. i ran a 13.04 @ 103 with a 2.0 60' (w/ stock manifolds!). i think there is something wrong with the tune on the top end, or the shift points are fubar'd. try a good tune.

than spray the house down.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

btw - what do you have against self aligning rockers?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

spend that money on some wrenches so you can remove the passenger and back seats at the track, then put them back in when you are done racing. then its not a "permanent" weight reduction.
OR save more money cuz you dont have enough to do what you want to do.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Get an underdrive pulley set, aluminum driveshaft, yank the air filter, and put lightweight Redline synthetics in the motor,trans, and rear. Also, make sure your front tires are at max pressure or a bit more at the track.

You cut the baffles in the hood already right?

Back when I had my LT1 WS6 hood on, I could look through the nostrils in the hood and see my red Holley throttle blades clearly with the air filter removed, thats a CAI.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph_flynn007
LSWHO what's your rev limiter set at or the most rpm you are willing to turn?
Try raising your shift points if they aren't done already.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
Try raising your shift points if they aren't done already.
They are at 6k, no point in going higher on a stock cam.

Originally Posted by fireman
Get an underdrive pulley set, aluminum driveshaft, yank the air filter, and put lightweight Redline synthetics in the motor,trans, and rear. Also, make sure your front tires are at max pressure or a bit more at the track.

You cut the baffles in the hood already right?

Back when I had my LT1 WS6 hood on, I could look through the nostrils in the hood and see my red Holley throttle blades clearly with the air filter removed, thats a CAI.
I ran with 1/2-3/4 tank last time, so there's a slight bit to be gained.
I pulled the filter and it didn't do anything at the track last time... and I never inflated the front tires either.
I haven't gutted the hood, a certain brother of mine destroyed my dremel and never replaced it...

Originally Posted by gen 3 bu
how about 2500+ launch.
Impossible, the tires turn over at 21-2200

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
I skipped a couple pages but realistically 102.x isn't going to get you a 12 second pass...
I agree.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

So let me get this straight:
1.) You don't want to put a electric water pump in the car
2.) You don't want to put gears in the car
3.) You don't want to take weight out of the car
4.) You don't want to do rockers or valve springs
5.) You don't want to put nitrous on the car.

You already have headers and a offroad Y so thats you exhaust all done, cutout isn't going to help. Your a stalled auto with good tires cutting a pretty decent 60ft for your mods. So getting it to launch harder without a bigger stall is going to be tough. The way i see it you have some options:

1.) Go on a diet that will fit your budget.
2.) Get some lower control arm relocation brackets. That will cure the excessive squatting you described. You have a very good chance of getting that 1.7-1.6 60ft your looking for. Do be afraid to try both holes to see what 60fts better.
3.) Take the belt off for every last chance of power.

In my opinion you have a very good chance of clipping twelves with relo brackets and taking the belt off. If your looking for anything past that your going to have to put some real mods on it man. Cam, nitrous, rockers, valve springs, heads, gears, weight reduction, supercharger, turbo, tuning software. Get what I'm saying? The next logical step is a set of 3.73 gears. They will definitely help the 60ft plus et and mph better. Your going to have to move passed your not wanting to do certain things to go faster. But i do understand the budget and not wanting to do the same thing twice.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bolt ons and bolt off's thats all u need to do.... period

oh and good weather and driving

Quick Reply: What's the quickest/cheapest for 12s?