LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Attn: Those who did the LS1 Lid swap...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at Insane's cowl hood, you can see that where the lid would be under isn't really much higher than a stock hood. So you would definitely have to cut the support.

On the other hand lt1's w/ ws6 hoods have cleared. I'm hoping to get my lt1ws6 hood or ls1ws6 look alike hood for my bird in the future, and hopefully they'll clear.

Looking at the underneath of them, since they can be made functional, they have the extra clearance underneath the scoops.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black94Z28
did you cut the bottom of the hood at all?
Yup, notched the sides and everything. The hood kept hitting on the outer corners of the lid. You can def make it work by getting rid of the LS1 rad support, but then it looks like crap. I tried that method too, cutting the metal brace and getting rid of the rad support but there was nothing to secure the LS1 lid against the air filter. I just gave up and went back to the LT1 bent elbow style, 3.5" alum piping and a 9" K&N cone filter. Pulls more air anyway.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

^^^well that debate will go on forever. The last sentence, is what I'm referring too. I have no experience either way, just speaking from all that I have read.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well maybe I can come up with some decent looking setup for the lid minus the base? I may try and stand the radiator straight up anyways for more space in the engine bay.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am thinking about doing the LS1 K&N FPIK filter after the maf on the stock lt1 radiator cover. If I can make it work maybe I will still do the SSRA and cut a hole out under the filter if it fits under the hood.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
I am thinking about doing the LS1 K&N FPIK filter after the maf on the stock lt1 radiator cover. If I can make it work maybe I will still do the SSRA and cut a hole out under the filter if it fits under the hood.
Seems like a good idea...
Old 02-18-2009, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myltwon
www.lt1engine.com has a full guide on the swap
some cool stuff on that site
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
I'm not sure I understand all that? you mean to use a LS1 style open element that sits on top of the radiator cover and then cut a hole out in the cover itself?? I'm trying something like that but cutting a hole in the rad cover to slip a tube through with a K&N type filter on the end hidden down inside the open space in front of the rad?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by multmigs
I'm not sure I understand all that? you mean to use a LS1 style open element that sits on top of the radiator cover and then cut a hole out in the cover itself?? I'm trying something like that but cutting a hole in the rad cover to slip a tube through with a K&N type filter on the end hidden down inside the open space in front of the rad?
This is what I was thinking of doing also...kind of like a turbo setup look. I have the LS1 lid on my car with a 2.5 in cowl hood. It took alot of time with a cutting wheel to massage the LS1 box, put it back in place, trim more, put it back in place, etc. You can see it was a bit of a PITA. Once I got it all trimmed it put the filter really close to the radiator crossmember. So I bought an FTRA from someone on this board and stuck that under it. I didnt have to cut the crossmember at all, the FTRA fits perfectly without cutting. As you can see from the pic I had to cut the support arms off of the lower box so it would sit low enough. Not the cleanest setup I just didnt want to hack the car up.

Im about to either go the turbo looking air induction setup or fab up some 4in aluminum tubing to the stock location in the fender well.
Attached Thumbnails Attn: Those who did the LS1 Lid swap...-picture-047.jpg  
Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^what is holding your LS1 lid down??? otherwise seems decent, I've said this before I don't know why no one has tried to use some 3-4" flexible dryer duct type hose to bring cold air from the foglight area up toward the bottom of a LS1 lid, if someone had skillzz they could make a tray that fit in the bottom of the lid holder piece with dual 4" stubs you could slid this type of intake onto....
Old 02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by multmigs
^^^^what is holding your LS1 lid down??? otherwise seems decent, I've said this before I don't know why no one has tried to use some 3-4" flexible dryer duct type hose to bring cold air from the foglight area up toward the bottom of a LS1 lid, if someone had skillzz they could make a tray that fit in the bottom of the lid holder piece with dual 4" stubs you could slid this type of intake onto....
You mean something like this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...read-pics.html

Quick Reply: Attn: Those who did the LS1 Lid swap...