LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New build in a month or so opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New build in a month or so opinions needed

OK my tired ole z28 is starting to show it's age. I traded a roller 91 hatch mustang for a new in the box cc503, 1.6 promags, and beehive valve springs. I bought off craigslist a 96 LT1 long block with a rod knock for the build. I was thinking of going .030 probe 11.5 forged pistons with 6 inch scat rods, home port and polish the intake and heads, Manly 2.00 stainless valves. Another thought was to put a true double roller timing chain and running a electric water pump. I also scored a cold fusion wet kit adjustable 75 to 150with purge for cheap. See my Sig for what other mods I already have and give me some opinions or suggestions. My goals are low to mid 11's
Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You'll have a nice set up. Similar to what I have except I have a stock bottom end. I would do a lot of research and learning before you try to port your own heads. Just make sure you have the budget to do a full rebuild...meaning bore, hone, align hone, heat tank, magnaflux, square deck. Give your heads a slight mill to make sure they are flat. Your stall will work well with that cam, but your car will feel sluggish until you get new gears, 3.73's to be more precise.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just going to gasket match and remove the rough surfaces and blend the bowl some. Porting heads isn't new to me but I'm not a pro I have cleaned up some 4.6l PI mustang heads, done 3 srt 4 neon heads, a DOHC N/A neon head, and countless small block heads SBF/SBC. Also I got a set of series 2 3.42 Richmond gears brand new for cheap (actually free traded somethings) I wanted to go 3.73 but with spray I should be fine. SS.SLP. LS1 how much performance did you pick up with the 503? do you have any track times befor and after?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rusty2198
I was just going to gasket match and remove the rough surfaces and blend the bowl some. Porting heads isn't new to me but I'm not a pro I have cleaned up some 4.6l PI mustang heads, done 3 srt 4 neon heads, a DOHC N/A neon head, and countless small block heads SBF/SBC. Also I got a set of series 2 3.42 Richmond gears brand new for cheap (actually free traded somethings) I wanted to go 3.73 but with spray I should be fine. SS.SLP. LS1 how much performance did you pick up with the 503? do you have any track times befor and after?
Enough so that I need to get some suspension mods and better tires so 1st gear is a little more usable.
It's a HUGE difference. My buddy with a '97 Z28 says that the torque on the low end is "deadly", lol. I raced another buddy with a LS1 that put down 340/350 and we were pretty even with him getting my by half a car to a car at 140. Both of us are M6's.

Quick Reply: New build in a month or so opinions needed