LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

vortech or procharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009 | 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chrisd000111
my motor is all stock right now its got 123000 so im about to rebuild it what should i do to it for a supercharger
how much boost do you want to run? street car or drag car? HP goal? I can help get you going in the right direction, I just need your goals and specifics.
Old 02-18-2009 | 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

Im sorry man, but i have to ask. Are you like a 16 year old kid or something? You are basing a serious build basically of the sound of the car. People are saying turbo, because most of the time a turbo is more efficent and can give you bigger power. I have a freind around here, he has a low 9 second trans-am, with a giant turbo on it, and it deffinatly doesent sound "ricey" it sounds bitchin! Please post intelligently. thank you. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2009 | 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

I imagine its someone with little intention of actually doing any of said mods
Old 02-19-2009 | 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

I would honestly go supercharger myself. But like others have said we need to know ur goals for the car. A turbo has lag while a supercharger is there as soon as u hit the gas. Im sure more people have a lot more info on the subject than i do. I dont have any intention on goin forced induction. I have heard that the sts kits dont produced very good numbers all the time. Procharger and vortec are very respectable brands. Also there are many good brands of turbos. You should also post up ur question in the forced induction section im sure those guys could give you tons of info. Good luck on ur build. Also when doing forced induction u definitely need to go forged on all ur internals of ur engine when u do the rebuild.
Old 02-19-2009 | 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Procharger fwiw they sound better than turbos, well my D1r does anyway.lol
Old 02-19-2009 | 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EliteCamaro94
I would honestly go supercharger myself. But like others have said we need to know ur goals for the car. A turbo has lag while a supercharger is there as soon as u hit the gas. Im sure more people have a lot more info on the subject than i do. I dont have any intention on goin forced induction. I have heard that the sts kits dont produced very good numbers all the time. Procharger and vortec are very respectable brands. Also there are many good brands of turbos. You should also post up ur question in the forced induction section im sure those guys could give you tons of info. Good luck on ur build. Also when doing forced induction u definitely need to go forged on all ur internals of ur engine when u do the rebuild.
Just for the record, centrifugal blowers have "lag" as well, they dont make full boost until way up in the rpms, whereas a proper turbo setup can come onto full boost lower than 3000 or so, depending on many variables. A proper turbo setup will CRUSH a centrifugal blower setup under the curve, and it doesnt take ALOT of power to turn a turbo compared to a crank driven supercharger.

Blowers are fun, and can generally be had cheaper, and on an lt1, are packaged much better. The original poster doesnt sound like he is ready for a turbo or a blower, judging from his posts.
Old 02-19-2009 | 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speeds8erM-1
Just for the record, centrifugal blowers have "lag" as well, they dont make full boost until way up in the rpms, whereas a proper turbo setup can come onto full boost lower than 3000 or so, depending on many variables. A proper turbo setup will CRUSH a centrifugal blower setup under the curve, and it doesnt take ALOT of power to turn a turbo compared to a crank driven supercharger.

Blowers are fun, and can generally be had cheaper, and on an lt1, are packaged much better. The original poster doesnt sound like he is ready for a turbo or a blower, judging from his posts.
like i said i am by no means a genius on the subject. I just was inputting the little bit of knowledge i have aquired from this site and friends that have done some research on the set up. I do agree that the OP is definitely not ready for either set up going by his posts about the sound and it being ricey.
Old 02-19-2009 | 02:48 AM
11 Second Club

from what i hear, turbos are good for A4 cars but dont work out so well for M6 cars. im not sure if its referring to most turbo setups or just the sts one but from what i hear a turbo wont make full boost until 3rd gear on an M6. great for roll racing tho
Old 02-19-2009 | 08:40 AM
Launching!

i never said that i want to build it for the sound all i said is i like the sound. i want to do a s/c build cause i need to pass emisions and this is my everyday car, i wanna make about 400 hp

Last edited by Chrisd000111; 02-19-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2009 | 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

a turbo car would pass why wouldnt they?
and 400 rwhp would be so easy and cheaper, you wouldnt even have too intercool the car
Old 02-19-2009 | 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
a turbo car would pass why wouldnt they?
and 400 rwhp would be so easy and cheaper, you wouldnt even have too intercool the car
a turbo setup requires the use of log style manifolds/reversed stockers which would negate the use of EGR/AIR equipment, also the repositioning of the cat could disqualify it aswell.

not sure how the sts setup modifies the factory exhaust but I'm not a big fan of it due to a couple things
Old 02-19-2009 | 09:16 AM
Launching!

i had to get rid of my last procharger bit ill get another one. you just have to decide??

you wunna go fast??? go turbo

you want a supercharger?? get a procharger. but like said back there dont go
smaller than the D1SC

you wunna pass emissions?? u cant go fast lol just man up and start BUYING your stickers lol pay tha cost to be tha boss son

good luck
Old 02-19-2009 | 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by myltwon
a turbo setup requires the use of log style manifolds/reversed stockers which would negate the use of EGR/AIR equipment, also the repositioning of the cat could disqualify it aswell.

not sure how the sts setup modifies the factory exhaust but I'm not a big fan of it due to a couple things
you could use all of those things it would just me re-routed.
and you can add a cat. turbo regals?
Old 02-19-2009 | 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

thing you don't understand is some states will disqualify a car in emissions testing if the car is relocated from the stock position AT ALL

your avg front mount turbo will require the deletion of AIR pump and egr tube unless you want to custom fab your own egr setup, and that's even IF the emissions shop will accept it

a car that came from the factory with a turbo setup has nothing to do with a car that was n/a from the factory and you're adding a boost setup to it. the manufacturer develops emissions equipment to function on it from the factory and turboing an n/a car requires the modification and or deletion of existing emissions equip
Old 02-19-2009 | 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

ah....i never had to deal with it....didnt know they went that far into it. i was always told they usually dont look for things like that unless something is obviously out of order
Old 02-19-2009 | 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

yeah luckily I don't live in an emissions testing state either
Old 02-19-2009 | 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by myltwon
turbos = sex
Sounds painful.
Old 02-19-2009 | 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

well don't stick your dick in it, turbines spinning at thousands of rpm can be a ************
Old 02-19-2009 | 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

IF you want to go FAST go turbo. Some have success with prochargers, but the kits are crap and need completely redesigned to maintain reliability. Trust me I had a p1sc charger. I made 430whp 440wtq on 8psi(stock lt1), but the reliabilty suckd and there was always something fukin up. I sold it three years ago because the car was not enjoyable. i like to drive my car more than working on it lol! Also two friends of mine have chargers on there ls1's and now they just sit in the garage on jackstands. Both guys drove thier cars more when they were na. one is a fully forged 346 ls1 w/ disc 16psi, makin 660whp. The other is a stock bottom end ls1 gto w/f1 runnin 8psi makin 500whp(mustang dyno). While they make great power, the maintnence and reliability issues seem to take the fun factor out of the car and now my friends barely drive them. Im not bashin procharger, just think about your goals with the car before you just bolt one on.
Old 02-19-2009 | 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
Im sorry man, but i have to ask. Are you like a 16 year old kid or something? You are basing a serious build basically of the sound of the car. People are saying turbo, because most of the time a turbo is more efficent and can give you bigger power. I have a freind around here, he has a low 9 second trans-am, with a giant turbo on it, and it deffinatly doesent sound "ricey" it sounds bitchin! Please post intelligently. thank you. Good luck.
I'm 18 and will say not all teens are dumb. Unless your in this town...... I swear there is only 5 people in the whole school of 1500 that know what they are talking about!!!!!!!!