LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

stock rockers with cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock rockers with cam swap

just a quick question. i am wondering if i can reuse the stock rocker arms when i do a cam swap? i plan on getting a set of 1.6rr in the near future.

thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you should be able to get away with it for a bit, but cam size will dictate a big factor in how safe it will be
Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can "get away with it", but in all honesty you shoud do it all in one shot. What's another $300?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You can "get away with it", but in all honesty you shoud do it all in one shot. What's another $300?
Exactly, the gains from 1.6 RRs isn't so much the lift as it is the improved
valvetrain efficiency from having lighter/better engineered components.

Why on earth would you want to pull it apart twice?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Exactly, the gains from 1.6 RRs isn't so much the lift as it is the improved
valvetrain efficiency from having lighter/better engineered components.

Why on earth would you want to pull it apart twice?
Doing rockers are much much easier to do than a cam swap heh

And to the "what's another $300?" question, are you really asking that in these financial times? >_>

You should be able to use them just fine, assuming the lift isn't insane I personally wouldn't want to go over .500 on stockers, even if it's more than likely no big deal.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

ok cool so i can get away with using them for a brief time until i can afford RR.

thanks guys
Old 02-19-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just keep an eye on the rocker studs and make sure the slots rocker arent hitting
Old 02-19-2009, 05:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formula350
Doing rockers are much much easier to do than a cam swap heh

And to the "what's another $300?" question, are you really asking that in these financial times? >_>

You should be able to use them just fine, assuming the lift isn't insane I personally wouldn't want to go over .500 on stockers, even if it's more than likely no big deal.
Sorry, but if you're already doing a cam swap and paying the money for new gaskets, fluids, springs (hopefully the OP is upgrading the springs), hardware, and the cam itself, IMO it just doesn't make sense to reuse the stock rockers. Stock rockers are made for a stock cam and that's it. IMO, it is a required part when doing a cam swap. No excuse really, especially since you could get a used set of Pro Mags or Crane aluminums for around $200 or less on the forums, if money really was that big of an issue. If you can't afford to spend a few hundred dollars on your car when doing performance mods, then maybe you're in the wrong hobby.

Here's what doesn't make sense to me. He is going to do a cam swap...okay I get that. He had to save the $$$ to buy the cam and hardware anyway, AND he intends to get 1.6 rockers "in the near future." Why wouldn't you just keep saving for X amount of weeks and save yourself the hassle? Not to mention depending on the springs he's using, he can have interference issues with the rockers hitting the new springs/hardware (depending on the springs).

Don't be hasty and do it right the first time.

Last edited by RamAir95TA; 02-19-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Don't be hasty and do it right the first time.
I understand the hardships of today's economic times extremely well. The question you have to ask yourself is this:
Is it worth the risk of your valvetrain and possibly your entire engine to cut corners on the rockers, if even for a short time? It only takes one revolution of the engine to screw it all up.
If you already have the parts for the cam swap, I recommend setting them on the shelf and waiting until you can afford a quality set of rockers. Of course, it is your car, your money, your time. But I would not risk it, myself.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 AM
Teching In

use stock
Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by texas twister
use stock
Care to elaborate?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

i used stock rockers for a short time on my cam with .550 lift. maybe a total of 10 hrs of run time with 3 1/8th mile runs. there are a lot of reasons why the OP might be in this situation, none of which really pertain to his original question. so again yes they will work, but switch them out as soon as you can.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I race a class where I have to use the stock rockers. I turn approx. 7400 rpm going through the traps and have had zero rocker failures. I would suggest upgrading the studs to ARP.

As a side note, a few years back I tested with 1.5 roller rockers and saw zero gain.

For your valve train to work properly everything needs to be right. If you are planning to switch to 1.6 rockers later make sure that you figure things like coil bind and piston-to-valve-clearance into the equation now.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry, but if you're already doing a cam swap and paying the money for new gaskets, fluids, springs (hopefully the OP is upgrading the springs), hardware, and the cam itself, IMO it just doesn't make sense to reuse the stock rockers. Stock rockers are made for a stock cam and that's it. IMO, it is a required part when doing a cam swap. No excuse really, especially since you could get a used set of Pro Mags or Crane aluminums for around $200 or less on the forums, if money really was that big of an issue. If you can't afford to spend a few hundred dollars on your car when doing performance mods, then maybe you're in the wrong hobby.
What in the hell does gaskets and fluids have to do with rockers?! Are you daft? You pull off the valve covers, change the rockers and adjust them, then slap the valve covers back on. The only gasket being affected is the VC ones, and they're rubber and you can reuse them. And used rockers are not exactly a solid idea either. They could've been used in a motor with an extreme cam, or installed wrong, etc. Then you're buying rockers that could be weaken structurally or who knows what. I'm not saying I'm advocating using the stockers indefinitely, but I think a month or two while he gets money for RRs isn't too much for them to handle.

And I was hoping Giz would chime in, as I knew he uses stockers and beats the **** out of them
Old 02-19-2009, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^It's really funny seeing YOU of all people asking someone else if they are daft.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fergymoto
^It's really funny seeing YOU of all people asking someone else if they are daft.
By all means, 96Capricemgr Jr, elaborate on that while staying on topic to the thread.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

What in the hell does gaskets and fluids have to do with rockers?! Are you daft? You pull off the valve covers, change the rockers and adjust them, then slap the valve covers back on. The only gasket being affected is the VC ones, and they're rubber and you can reuse them. And used rockers are not exactly a solid idea either. They could've been used in a motor with an extreme cam, or installed wrong, etc. Then you're buying rockers that could be weaken structurally or who knows what. I'm not saying I'm advocating using the stockers indefinitely, but I think a month or two while he gets money for RRs isn't too much for them to handle.

And I was hoping Giz would chime in, as I knew he uses stockers and beats the **** out of them
Gee, I didn't know that being rational could be considered daft. I find it ironic that you're in opposition of using a used roller rocker, when reusing stock 100k mileage rockers is the same damn thing.

I mentioned the gaskets and fluids and such, because that's an incorporated cost with doing a swap, much like roller rockers should be.

And about Daren - he HAS to use stock rockers for his class. I'm sure he would use full roller rockers if he could, as the benefits far outweigh what the stockers can provide.

Why disconnect the battery, remove the belt, remove the alternator, take the valve covers off, remove the old rockers, remove the old springs and hardware, reinstall the rockers, set valve lash, bolt the valve covers back on, reinstall the alternator, then a month or two later disconnect the battery AGAIN, remove the belt AGAIN, take the alternator off AGAIN, take the valve covers off AGAIN, remove the old rockers AGAIN, install the new rockers AGAIN, set valve lash AGAIN, reinstall the valve covers AGAIN, and reinstall the alternator AGAIN, when you could've done it once, the first time.

Redundant I know...perhaps I really am "daft."
Old 02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you can't afford the right parts, you shouldn't be doing the swap. Wait another X days/weeks/months and then do the swap when you can afford it.

I'm surprised the Cheap/Fast/Reliable (pick two) saying hasn't been brought up yet.

As to those talking about financial hardships...the OP is spending money on his car, right? Just checking.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

whoops

Last edited by 94Z28rag; 02-19-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: oops
Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TABBED 5.3
i used stock rockers for a short time on my cam with .550 lift. maybe a total of 10 hrs of run time with 3 1/8th mile runs. there are a lot of reasons why the OP might be in this situation, none of which really pertain to his original question. so again yes they will work, but switch them out as soon as you can.
Originally Posted by GIZMO
I race a class where I have to use the stock rockers. I turn approx. 7400 rpm going through the traps and have had zero rocker failures. I would suggest upgrading the studs to ARP.

As a side note, a few years back I tested with 1.5 roller rockers and saw zero gain.

For your valve train to work properly everything needs to be right. If you are planning to switch to 1.6 rockers later make sure that you figure things like coil bind and piston-to-valve-clearance into the equation now.

Take Care,

Daren
so you haven't had any problems running stock 1.5 rockers? also how big are my gains going to really be if i switch to a 1.6RR opposed to a 1.5 or 1.52 RR?

I have to agree on the used rockers. thanks everyone who contributed useful information.

Also thanks to those who got in a pissing match a lot of useful info was given out in the those posts to