LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

GM high tech DART heads results

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I went with the Dart 200s and had them ported by LME. I can always sell my good stock heads that are on the car now and that takes away some of the intial cost to go with these heads.
What's the combustion chamber volume on those? Are they still 58cc?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Only accessory I have turning with the crank is the alternator. 390whp with what kind of cam? I don't know why you are bashing the DART heads, also do realize this was their first LT1 head - their other ones they're coming/came out with flow extremely well, and are still priced cheap. You argument holds no purpose in this thread because this wasn't a thread intended to see if ported factory heads can outflow as-cast DART heads, because everyone knows they can. It was just a freakin article I found and I thought I'd share lol. If you don't have the money to buy DART heads, just stick to your factory castings. Sure I could have gotten away with another set of factory heads but I was in a complete rush because the car was my daily and I couldn't find any stock heads anywhere, and Murrays (local speed shop) had these heads in stock at the time.
the results are not impressive, end of story. you can jerk off on them all you want but a set of budget ported stock heads will walk all over them. you found the article and thought you would share, I read the article and felt like sharing my thoughts. isn't sharing fun?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zigroid
the results are not impressive, end of story. you can jerk off on them all you want but a set of budget ported stock heads will walk all over them. you found the article and thought you would share, I read the article and felt like sharing my thoughts. isn't sharing fun?
Listen, I wasn't sharing the article in such a way to "show off" or "brag" about DART heads.. There was no argument implied in my post, and you simply started one lol.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn dude go get laid, stop fighting over the internet... i saw your post, thought id share my opinion that your a mouthy internet jackass.... isnt sharing fun?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't get me wrong I love AI/LE stuff but the base AI package it's $1395 + CORE

there's a vendor selling brand new dart heads with edelbrock intake for pretty much the same price right now, so I'd hardly consider them "budget" when a brand new casting can be had for the price of port work and assemble imo

with a better selected cam I imagine the power output will be around the same give or take
Old 02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by myltwon
with a better selected cam I imagine the power output will be around the same give or take
Exactly. The cam they chose was not to make rediculous power. Zigroid, read the entire article.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the combustion chamber volume on those? Are they still 58cc?
Had them milled to 53cc, running a LT4 .043 Head Gasket.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Listen, I wasn't sharing the article in such a way to "show off" or "brag" about DART heads.. There was no argument implied in my post, and you simply started one lol.
I posted my opinion, youre the one that started the argument. I posted a logical reason (actually, several) as to why I don't believe the results are that impressive, you supplied nothing.
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFate
damn dude go get laid, stop fighting over the internet... i saw your post, thought id share my opinion that your a mouthy internet jackass.... isnt sharing fun?
oh hey, another person that can't take a logical counterpoint. get in line.
Originally Posted by myltwon
don't get me wrong I love AI/LE stuff but the base AI package it's $1395 + CORE
and you can get LE1 heads for $900, $1200 with a cam that will produce damn near the power this setup makes.
Exactly. The cam they chose was not to make rediculous power. Zigroid, read the entire article.
every independent engine dyno with dart heads has been unimpressive. when someone like Ai or LE gets a hold of them, ports them, then supplies a cam to work with them, that is when they shine. why doesn't anyone run a big cam with these heads? prove me wrong, Ill be happy. it will be another option for the LT1 community that is worthwhile. otherwise its similar to the edelbrock intake manifolds.

let me ask you guys something. when you look at old school engine horsepower ratings, do you believe them? thats basically what is being used here. why don't the 1970 370 hp LT1s run with the 345 hp LS1s of a few years ago?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

saw a post on camaroz28.com where a guy was running 119-120mph traps with cc306 and stock dart heads, not bad imo for out of the box. magazines are usually fairly conservative with cam selections and other mods imo

the LE package is a good deal tho btw
Old 02-21-2009, 05:02 AM
TECH Junkie

every independent engine dyno with dart heads has been unimpressive. when someone like Ai or LE gets a hold of them, ports them, then supplies a cam to work with them, that is when they shine.
lol @ captain obvious over here... These heads (especially the 180's from DART) are not supposed to be some badass head. It's like saying... The factory LT1 head doesn't really provide us much flexebility until AI or LE gets ahold of them. It's the same concept. They weren't meant to replace fully ported heads, they are made as a stronger aftermarket casting for people who want to get it ported/worked on further. I don't understand why you are so salt about an off the shelf head, that isn't even ported. The fact that it is STRONGER and will OUTFLOW a FACTORY (untouched head - lets be fair, this one's untouched too) is pretty impressive. I've never seen DART advertise about some "bad-*** LT1 race head that stops the world from turning". It's just another aftermarket casting for further potential porting and such. Get over yourself.

Quick Reply: GM high tech DART heads results