LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OMG, 2 valve cover studs snapped off in head

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
I'm tossing around the idea of bringing the car to my fabricator.... A buddy of mine told me about a way he had it done before by a friend who was a SICK tig welder... said they fabbed a bolt head with the center drilled out the same size as the stuck stud. Put it over the stud and welded a rosette in teh hole of the bolt head so it attached itself to the stud... then they used the bolt head to simply unscrew the broken bolt.... it's interesting and COULD work... but it'll take a hell of a welder with pretty steady hands....

or I can just bring it to my fabricator since he's got way better drill bits than what i got....
That's a very elaborate method of what we tried on that Saturn I mentioned lol He doesn't have the TIG parts for the welder he has, so it was just wire feed. Tried tacking on a bolt to the snapped EZ Out. Started working but then the welds gave :\ I like that idea though and I'll have to keep that in mind!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just give up and part out your motor
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is any sharp edges on the bolt try heatng it up good and using a tiny screwdriver and hammer to tap it backwards(unscrew it). There has been times I thought I was screwed and it worked. The bolts actually came out real easy, not sure why they snapped in the first place. Just a thought.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taner
heat will also make the loctite 'release' it's hold on the studs. i fell bad for ya, but imagine a clutch exploding at over 5500 rpm at 80 mph...... hope that makes you fell a little better
I had a clutch explode going about 70 and part of it got wedged between the flywheel and the block and the rear tires locked up.

Careful heating up around the aluminum, personally I would try to weld a nut onto the broken stud and twist it out first before I busted out the torch. Soak in it PB blaster for about 3 days first while your at it.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Teching In

I think I would use a #40 and #30 Drill bit then use a #1 easy out.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get a set of alum valve covers and tig weld them to your heads, then cut the tops off so you can bolt them back on for valve lashing lol... j/k

Quick Reply: OMG, 2 valve cover studs snapped off in head