LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default water pump

I have a 1993 lt1. It had the oil cooler and now i am removing it. Is there a water pump for the f-body lt1's that doesent have the oil cooler line? If not what do i do to the open line?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
I have a 1993 lt1. It had the oil cooler and now i am removing it. Is there a water pump for the f-body lt1's that doesent have the oil cooler line? If not what do i do to the open line?
Just pick up a set of bypass caps and some clamps at Autozone. That's what I did when I swapped engines to one without an oil cooler. I didn't want to go through the hassle of swapping it over, plus it's one less hose that could leak.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

is it just a plug? it holds the pressure?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

I guess i should say that i have the engine out right now and have to buy a pump. I just want to know if there is such thing as a water pump for the f-bodys that has no oil cooler line. I cant seem to find one. I bought one from an ebay store that rebuilds them and it looked great, but i accidentally bought one for a vette so it had no oil cooler line like i wanted, but the line that goes to the bleed valve was a straight line and dident have the 90 degree bent upward like ours, so i sent it back and asked if he could get me an fbody pump with no oil cooler line....
Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe there is a bypass hose you can buy that runs from the water pump to the bottom of the radiator. I don't recall the exact routing, but I know that's what I used. You may also be able to just cap off the connections.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

how much pressure would the cap have to hold?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Autozone carries these. Use the ones in the package that will just fit on the ports. Clamp them onto the water pump and the lower radiator port.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

cool! thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ That's totally insane why not just run a length of 3/4" regular heater hose from the fitting on the water pump down to the same one on the radiator itself? the caps are changing how water will flow around the system as a whole doing a bypass of the oil cooler does nothing but add less heat to the whole thing?

oh and you should really be doing this at the same time...
Attached Thumbnails water pump-greyblack-ewp.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Camaro pump:

Corvette pump:
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The BeCool radiator fitting for the oil cooler hose is a pipe thread that you'd install a nipple OR a pipe plug if not used. With the stock radiator, cut off the hose about two inches away from the nipple and shove a ½ inch pipe plug into the hose then clamp around it with a hose clamp. I don't think I'd rely on the Help! bypass caps as their designed for vacuum and probably not rated for the temperatures/heating cycles related to the cooling system.

Here's MY cooloing system:
Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by multmigs
^^^ That's totally insane why not just run a length of 3/4" regular heater hose from the fitting on the water pump down to the same one on the radiator itself? the caps are changing how water will flow around the system as a whole doing a bypass of the oil cooler does nothing but add less heat to the whole thing?

It's not necessary. As you can see with the Corvette pump. I have the heater lines removed and capped off as well, so it's like a SBC, two radiator hoses only, upper and lower, that's all that is needed.

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The BeCool radiator fitting for the oil cooler hose is a pipe thread that you'd install a nipple OR a pipe plug if not used. With the stock radiator, cut off the hose about two inches away from the nipple and shove a ½ inch pipe plug into the hose then clamp around it with a hose clamp. I don't think I'd rely on the Help! bypass caps as their designed for vacuum and probably not rated for the temperatures/heating cycles related to the cooling system.
I've had all of the auxiliary ports on my water pump capped off with those caps for a while now with no problems, they are actually quite thick, and I don't foresee any problems with using them.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by multmigs

I cant stand clutter, specially if its absolutely pointless, and y have it if i don't have to? The elec pump would be nice but i dont have the cash right now. And if i did i would use a meziere. Also on a daily driver theres no need for one, its a good mod yes, but if your pcm is tuned and telling your fans to come on earlier and you have a 160 therm you dont need it on a engine as close to stock as mine. And i got my pump for 70 bucks (rebuilt)
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Camaro pump:

Corvette pump:
Exactly, do they not make a camaro/firebird pump with no oil cooler line?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
Exactly, do they not make a camaro/firebird pump with no oil cooler line?
Lol, just buy the Corvette pump. Otherwise remove any lines that you don't want to use (except for the radiator hoses) and get the ports for them cut and welded.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

well i still want a heater, so i need the line pointing straight up dont i? Wouldent it be in the way of the acc. bracket?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The Corvette pump has no oil cooler line.

The heater hose nipple pointing straight up on the Corvette pump does not hit anything, I'm using it in my car. Not sure if it'll work with the stock heater hose setup, I changed mine to a pair of straight hoses.

I went this route specifically to eliminate the un-used oil cooler fitting on the WP to make the setup look cleaner. I HATE un-used nipples closed off with a plug in a hose. It kills me to look at the un-used nipples on the throttle body where the coolant used to go through, it just looks so un-finished and jury-rigged.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

^^^That makes no sense to me. I know the corvette has no oil cooler line. But the line pointing straight up for the heater is the fbody pump, not the corvette. And yes i agree with plugs and **** just looking dumb. Right now what i think i will do is get the normal fbody pump and tap the hole where the oil cooler line goes and run a pipe fitting in it to just make it look like its not there and not have to worry about a plug leaking as it is my daily driver all summer. Also, i have the motor out, so i resealed my whole tb and cut the lines off where the bypass is done, so it will all look clean when im done.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

My car didn't come with a oil cooler. My pump looks like that pic of the vette pump with the exception on my top line 90's up like the pick of the camaro pump. So yes there is a pump for non oil cooler camaros
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

all this talk of moding the stock waterpump or using a vette model which I believe is more expensive again seems totally nuts when you could just take a piece of $5 hose and do the oil cooler bypass and never worry about anything flying off etc... the lower radiator fitting that someone mentioned is easily fixed by cutting off the rubber oil cooler hose that is already attached to it and putting the new bypass hose on it.. Oh and if you're really cool you can add one of those flush kits into this section of hose that has a fitting for attaching a regular garden hose to it and now you have a very easy way to do a annual cooling system flush. I did this to my car a few years ago and never looked back, I understand about clutter, and I also removed my air pump and the bracketry for that at the same time. I'm just doing the EWP now and wish I had sooner... Good luck with whatever you choose. But the plug story is like....

REALLY??

Quick Reply: water pump