LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2000 dollars to spend

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 dollars to spend

Im trying to decide if i want to go nitrous or H/C..If i go nitrous im getting the complete set from Nitrous Outlet for 1300 and probably only running 100 or 125 shot and i might get a cam to go along with it ..if i go H/C combo ill probably going with street/strip from AI..if i go with the H/C i might have to spend alittle more to get roller rockers,injectors,headers and probably a few other little things, but im just wanting to hit a mid 12 and be reliable, so what do you guys think i should do
Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Launching!

I blew out a head gasket on a 150 shot, sending water through my main and cam bearings, resulting in a trip to the machine shop. If you want reliable, go with the AI Head/Cam. You can add the 1.6's later with the long tubes. Stock injectors should be fine for now, but be sure to have PCM touch up your tune.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have $2,000 to spend I'd bet you can do H/C and stay under that mark. A set of LE2 heads run $1,350, plus $300 for a custom cam. You can find a set of used 1.6 RR's for around $100 putting you at $1,750. And have that for gaskets and what not. You can make real good power with a setup like that and probably break in the 11's. Then do some LT's later along with a TB. Injectors would be a good idea though so yours aren't running at 100% duty cycle. If you could manage a couple hundred more for the injectors that would be a real nice setup. Nitrous is cool and all but a H/C setup will give you the power all the time. If you wanted to you could just go with a set of LE1 heads, they run $900 and with the right cam you can net 380 RWHP even through an auto. That's more than enough to get you into the mid 12's.

LE1 heads=$900
Cam=$300
RR=$100-$150
Injectors=$200 for a good used set
TB=$200 see them all the time used
Long Tubes=$250 for a used set

Total= Right at $2000. Not including gaskets though.

You can build a nice ride for 2k. Just trying to help you decide.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LE2 set up w/o a doubt. You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have to say NOS, because with a good head/cam upgrade, you'll need larger injectors/TB/Headers to really benefit, & of coarse a better fuel pump, but with a Wet shot, all you'll need is the pump, then you'll be amazed how well that LT1 will pull with stock **** lol, even with mannies, trust me. You can set up a nice Wet kit for 350.00, then get a heater/window switch/FPSS., all for WAY less then a grand, then you'll have the other grand + for exhaust if you want, a NICE exhaust includeing headers . Oh, & a good fuel pump like the racetronix.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:35 AM

id say go with the head and cam package first bro . 1st thing your car will sound beast and it will have a boat load of power that dosnt run out or have to be filled . you can always drop a shot of giggle gas later but to each is own ya know
Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not a drag racer, which may explain why I don't get the fascination with nitrous.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BTC
I'm not a drag racer, which may explain why I don't get the fascination with nitrous.
Then you must be a "bench racer", sorry had to say that seeing your cars been sitting 8 yrs., why the hell do you think we build are cars, to enter them in a roundy-round , NO, so they will go faster, Oh & in a straight line (for the most part), then beat the car next to us when we race, thats drag racing, has NOTHING to do with N2o, thats a corny statement, if you look at his original post, he did mention the Bottle.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LM97Z
Then you must be a "bench racer", sorry had to say that seeing your cars been sitting 8 yrs., why the hell do you think we build are cars, to enter them in a roundy-round , NO, so they will go faster, Oh & in a straight line (for the most part), then beat the car next to us when we race, thats drag racing, has NOTHING to do with N2o, thats a corny statement, if you look at his original post, he did mention the Bottle.
I did see his original post. Did you think I just randomly made a statement pertaining to nitrous? I also thought my statement implied that given a choice between heads/cam & nitrous, I wouldn't choose nitrous.

Quick Reply: 2000 dollars to spend