LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt-1 overheating(again)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heater core is readily accessible from under the dash. Buy a Haynes manual and follow the instructions. I just changed mine, piece of cake.

Passenger side = right side.

You must have a small river running thru your work space to lose a couple of gallons of fluid in such a short time. Obviously you are not able to drive it to Midas and put it on a lift to receive a free muffler inspection while scoping out the underside for a freeze plug rusted out and leaking.

There should't be a problem with getting a mirror back there, there is plenty of room. Just put your hand back there and see if it's wet. The problem is probably with the steam tube and go to shoebox for the diagrams.

There are four rubber washers on the steam tube assembly and could be changed out with the engine in the car if you are double jointed and take care to properly support the tube while loosening the bolts ( which do corrode out ) and retightening the same after replacing the washers. If you screw up on this you will get to experience all of the engine management systems when you drop the motor/trans/suspension out from under the car. That is not difficult, just time consuming and follow the directions others have posted on this forum.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

www.shbox.com

Bookmark this site.

This thread may be helpful to you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...t-sealing.html
Old 03-22-2009, 04:18 AM
On The Tree

isn't there a tube that connects into the back of the driver and passenger heads that have coolant?? check that..
Old 03-22-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Is there any chance it could be one of the coolant/knock sensors or coolant passage block drain plug that runs along the side of the motor leaking. I would think by how fast it is happening the only things it could be are radiator, hose, or freeze plug...just because it is empty in 5 minutes. I would try and put the front of the car as high up on jack stands as you can at least and try and get a good look from under the car maybe...try to avoid the coolant river that would be running down...
Old 03-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

yea i have it up now and no i cant drive it but 10minutes before it starts overheatin...seems to be leakin above the freeze plugs...
Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chevym84
yea i have it up now and no i cant drive it but 10minutes before it starts overheatin...seems to be leakin above the freeze plugs...
hope you've checked the steam xover pipe at back of the heads ..otherwise cracked block/head or head gasket if lucky..head gasket can pretty much empty your system as the coolant(water only or mix) is heated/presurized and will effectively stream/vapor in under 4-5 minutes ..yes this is from experience but was on my vortec 350 ..goodluck

Last edited by ScrapSilicon; 03-22-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

yea im gona check the steam pipes when i can see them.....they are on the back of the heads??? if so then it could be them cause its leakin back there....
Old 03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

i imagine they are a bear to fix sayin as i cant see them...
Old 03-23-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

no you dont have to take the dash out just the kick panel and the glove box if i remember right
Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

i just want to say thanks to everyone that has helped out im gona take it to a friends show and work on it there
Old 03-23-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

i say to do a compression test to see if you have a blown headgasket, cracked head or block. better yet a leakdown test if you have the tools.

if it empties in 5 minutes it is something major. likely if it is heater core you would feel moisture under the dash or under the carpet (at least i did on my third gen).
Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

also, aluminum doesnt like overheating, especially repeatedly. the heads will crack eventually if it occurs often.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

yea its overheated 4 times granted 3 of those times i caught it as i saw the temp rising cause im always lookin at the gauge but this time i notice the "check gauges light" so im really scared it was overheating before i caught it but hey i guess i cant be worried about it because if it is that then theres nothin i can do but replace heads

Quick Reply: lt-1 overheating(again)