LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stuck injector

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Stuck injector

well i figured out why my starter was grinding. Pulled the plugs today, and fuel GUSHED out of the cylinder on the drivers side closest to the firewall. So, basically the motor was hydrolocked. I then cranked the car over with no issues with the plugs out. Then, i pulled the fuel rails up a bit, had a buddy prime the pump, and that injector GUSHED fuel until i had no fuel pressure left. So, i guess it is stuck open? Any way to fix this?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
well i figured out why my starter was grinding. Pulled the plugs today, and fuel GUSHED out of the cylinder on the drivers side closest to the firewall. So, basically the motor was hydrolocked. I then cranked the car over with no issues with the plugs out. Then, i pulled the fuel rails up a bit, had a buddy prime the pump, and that injector GUSHED fuel until i had no fuel pressure left. So, i guess it is stuck open? Any way to fix this?
Probably the easiest thing to do is to just replace it. You can find stock injectors for a dime a dozen.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ford injectors are supposed to fail closed... So that's weird :\ Only way to POSSIBLY fix it, like if a piece of carbon or grit got in it, would be to tap on it while the pump is priming. Then again I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for suggesting such a redneck method

EDIT: Oh forgot to add you should PROBABLY check your flywheel for missing teeth.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
Ford injectors are supposed to fail closed... So that's weird :\ Only way to POSSIBLY fix it, like if a piece of carbon or grit got in it, would be to tap on it while the pump is priming. Then again I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for suggesting such a redneck method

EDIT: Oh forgot to add you should PROBABLY check your flywheel for missing teeth.
already did. flywheel is perfect. I'm probably just going to pick up some 42lb injectors since i was planning on upgrading soon anyways. Will my car that is tuned for 30lb injectors run with 42lbers on there?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

already did. flywheel is perfect. I'm probably just going to pick up some 42lb injectors since i was planning on upgrading soon anyways. Will my car that is tuned for 30lb injectors run with 42lbers on there?
You'll run PIG rich.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't do that very long, that's a big step to ask the PCM to compensate for with pulsewidth changes etc.... you might wash the cylinders down with all that extra gas removing the thin film of oil which then lets the rings scratch the **** out of the walls....buyin a xtra set of injectors would be cheaper...
Old 03-21-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to change the injector size in the tune immediately. Personally, I would just buy one used injector, or a set. For example, I sold a set of used stock injectors for $30. Both the buyer and I were tickled silly over the transaction.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
You will have to change the injector size in the tune immediately. Personally, I would just buy one used injector, or a set. For example, I sold a set of used stock injectors for $30. Both the buyer and I were tickled silly over the transaction.
well would it be equally as bad to run the car that is tuned for 30# svos with stockers?

My point is, im doing a bigger cam, 58mm TB, and 42lb injectors in about a month anyways.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

well would it be equally as bad to run the car that is tuned for 30# svos with stockers?
My point is, im doing a bigger cam, 58mm TB, and 42lb injectors in about a month anyways.
Ah, I did not see that your sig states 30# SVOs. My bad.
Yes, that is just as bad. Your choices would be to purchase an equivalent single injector, send that one in to be repaired (if they will do just one) or purchase the 42# with an immediate tune, such as a mail order tune.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Ah, I did not see that your sig states 30# SVOs. My bad.
Yes, that is just as bad. Your choices would be to purchase an equivalent single injector, send that one in to be repaired (if they will do just one) or purchase the 42# with an immediate tune, such as a mail order tune.
who could i send it into to be repaired? I doubt the dealership does it.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

who could i send it into to be repaired? I doubt the dealership does it.
One of the sponsors here could do it.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Dealer NO. Sponsor YES. Stay far, far away from the dealer for almost everything.
Go to the Fueling/Injection section. There are sponsors who do injector rebuilding. Just explain to them that you are going to upgrade the injectors in the near future so you only want to have the one rebuilt.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

will do
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody know where i can get a single injector? Even if i had to get it right from ford?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

if i cant find one direct from ford, I should have no problem using an injector from another brand, as long as it is 30lb/hour correct?

Was thinking of just picking up one of these to hold me over until later in spring:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 03-23-2009, 05:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I think you should be fine. I looked on Ebay for you, but the SVOs there were being sold by the set. BOL.

Quick Reply: Stuck injector