LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LE heads and cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not the correct way to do it, but it could be done very easy if the motor is out. If you bring your car to a shop they will fix spun bearings that way.
I DONT RECOMEND IT AT ALL Just saying it could be done if you couldnt afford a complete rebuild
Old 03-29-2009, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Hallelujah for a great testimony regarding a clean install!
Guaranteed those who spin a bearing after a cam install did something wrong during the process or their bearings were shot before hand. This craptastic tale is as bad as how sheeple believe there is something wrong with Comp R lifters (thanks mostly to Bert) or how the EGR is to blame for the LT1 intake manifold leak...
4 cam installs and 3 head swaps that I know of on my stock short block with 107k miles on it and it's still going strong. Only 1 heads/cam swap was done at the same time so the motor was apart on at least 5 separate occasions.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys may be right, and I'm fully prepared to eat crow.

I never said that heads cam is sure to spin a rod, or the only thing that will do it.

You could be completely right and these handful of times I've seen it could be from sloppy installs.

My other guess, and don't jump me for this is if somehow during the install the pump lost its prime, these guys might not be priming the pump and getting oil pressure before they start and run the engine.

I know it shouldn't just lose its prime by pulling the heads, but is that a possibility?

And no, as the one guy said I didn't pull that straight out of a horses ***, I and my good friend who has owned and lt1 for 15 years have seen it more than once.

I ultimately plan to take the advice of ai when I do my heads, but forgive me for being concerned about my engine and others.

When you are these guys do head swaps and then spin a rod, you kinda want to avoid that, and putting new bearings in was how thought you could do it.

Still not a terrible idea imo but I guess cleanliness and making sure you have good oil pressure is probably more important.

Is that fair?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

I would do it in a pinch. If it was done clean and there was no existing damage or wear on the crank it would be fine to do and easy. IMO If you spun a bearing then tried it I would pull it all apart.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
You guys may be right, and I'm fully prepared to eat crow.

I never said that heads cam is sure to spin a rod, or the only thing that will do it.

You could be completely right and these handful of times I've seen it could be from sloppy installs.

My other guess, and don't jump me for this is if somehow during the install the pump lost its prime, these guys might not be priming the pump and getting oil pressure before they start and run the engine.

I know it shouldn't just lose its prime by pulling the heads, but is that a possibility?

And no, as the one guy said I didn't pull that straight out of a horses ***, I and my good friend who has owned and lt1 for 15 years have seen it more than once.

I ultimately plan to take the advice of ai when I do my heads, but forgive me for being concerned about my engine and others.

When you are these guys do head swaps and then spin a rod, you kinda want to avoid that, and putting new bearings in was how thought you could do it.

Still not a terrible idea imo but I guess cleanliness and making sure you have good oil pressure is probably more important.

Is that fair?
Sloppy installs are usually the reason people have issues after h/c installs.

Pulling the heads will have nothing to do with engine block oil pressure. The only way to completely remove residual oil from the bearing surfaces is to completely disassemble the engine and clean them. R&R of the heads will not affect the oil system in any way.

Your intentions are good - but it is not as cost-effective a simple operation as you think.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotcha
Old 03-29-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Hallelujah for a great testimony regarding a clean install!
Guaranteed those who spin a bearing after a cam install did something wrong during the process or their bearings were shot before hand. This craptastic tale is as bad as how sheeple believe there is something wrong with Comp R lifters (thanks mostly to Bert) or how the EGR is to blame for the LT1 intake manifold leak...

The guys who did the machine work on my block told me that 90% of their business is from people who put there motor together and didn't have it clean enough. The owner has been around for over 50 years building race motors and racing. He knows a thing or two.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

incase you lost track I am the OP...I don't want to pull the motor at all. I will pay extreme close attention to the install. I have never had a problem before with the oil pressure. And I don't burn any oil at all. I am helping a friend rebuild a 78 inline 6 in a jeep. Its not easy and I don't want to do that to my car..atleast not for a long time. I just want to make good power with minimal problems. Keep in mind after I get this done I will rarely be driving the car. It will mostly become a garage queen. I know most of you don't like that idea but I will get it out when I want to destroy ls1's and stangs maybe a vette or two. I never expected this type of response..but I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: LE heads and cam?