LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A V-6 question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default A V-6 question...

I recently started working part time at a local auto parts store. Spring is sort of here, so I put my Camaro back on the road last week, and I'm driving it to the store. Next door to where I work, is a Goodyear store with a cute young girl who "busts tires" all day long. Yesterday, I walked some parts over to the tire store, and the "Goodyear girl" asks me about my car, and says she's upset because her Camaro, a '94 V-6, isn't on the road yet due to an oil pressure problem.

She says the car has no oil pressure. It ran fine last year, all she did was park it for the winter. Tried to start it up a few days ago, no oil pressure. So, I ask the usual questions, sending unit OK, nobody "did you a favor" and drained it out, clogged filter, etc.....

It does have oil in it, she said she thought of the sender and changed it, but that didn't help. By then, the lifters started clicking, so she new she had an issue and shut it down. She hadn't thought of the filter, and said she'd take a look at it.

Can anybody think of anything else to look at?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anybody think of anything else to look at?

he he yea... her ***! (Beavis)

Let me think about it and I'll get back to you
Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is there no or low oil pressure?

I imagine the viscosity of the oil went to **** from sitting for a while
Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its missing 2 cyinders
Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

if it was making noise its low and theres no oil getting to the heads. I hate to ask, but she check it right? Just do an oil change and go from there.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by myltwon
is there no or low oil pressure?

I imagine the viscosity of the oil went to **** from sitting for a while

There can't be much oil pressure, if any at all, for the lifters to pump out within 30-40 seconds time of running. I'm pretty sure the car definitely needs an oil change, but even if the oil got as thin as water, a properly working oil pump will push it through at 25-30 PSI at idle. In fact, 5W30 isn't much thicker than water, when it's hot.

So, I'm thinking something internal, but I'm not up on the idiosycrasies of the V-6 engine. That's why I'm asking here.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

You MUST fix this for her, or from what you describe get her to work on it with your help... "Hey lemme use my discount at the parts store 4 yah..." Do the basics like these guys suggest, change oil n filter, maybe find a oil pressure gauge and actually check it at the motor to make sure there isn't just a gauge/wiring issue... Sounds like there isn't and it could be a big engine prob but ul win her over if you at least attempt to fix it....

P.S. a picture is worth a thousand words on this one guy... NOT THE CAR< THE GRL
Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
its missing 2 cyinders
Win
Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by multmigs
... but you'll win her over if you at least attempt to fix it....

P.S. a picture is worth a thousand words on this one guy..
I understand that this is a testosterone driven forum, so I understand some of the responses. HOWEVER, I don't need to win her over, as A) I'm old enough to be her grandfather, and B) my wife wouldn't appreciate me having a girlfriend. I'm simply trying to help a fellow gearhead diagnose their car's problem.

Secondly, even though she IS a little cutesy, I wouldn't invade her privacy by posting her picture.

To those who have offered suggestions about the car's potential ailments, however, thank you, and I'll pass them on to her!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I understand that this is a testosterone driven forum, so I understand some of the responses. HOWEVER, I don't need to win her over, as A) I'm old enough to be her grandfather, and B) my wife wouldn't appreciate me having a girlfriend. I'm simply trying to help a fellow gearhead diagnose their car's problem.

Secondly, even though she IS a little cutesy, I wouldn't invade her privacy by posting her picture.

To those who have offered suggestions about the car's potential ailments, however, thank you, and I'll pass them on to her!
especially the +2 cylinders