LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gauging Interest in "BIG" CID LT1 Block

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been a lot of markets that have been reinvigorated when one manufacturer starts making parts for it..others follow. Case in point would be Edelbrock releasing heads for olds, pontiac, chrysler, 409's, etc. Guys that had "built" engines with o.e. heads that had been finished for 20 years came up with an excuse to spend a bit more money on the old gal.

W/ 440" capability we'd start seing some new large volume cylinderheads become available.

Personally I have too much money wrapped up in LT to make the switch to LS. Many of us start buying a part here and a part there...then we're stuck.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So it is over here as well. This has been spreading like wildfire. For those that don't know the history on this, my engine builder was the one that brought this concept to dart. This has been talked about for awhile and I posted on other boards.

What you don't know and now will have the update is Dart is getting a block I have and a front cover so that measurements can be taken. Now if you are looking to get one of these blocks and really want to buy one, Dart needs to know your interest.

I will tell you, they have a now have links to all the threads out there and are reading these. Your input and concerns will be what makes this happen. There are a lot of LT1's out there and these cars are coming of age in need of replacement engines.

The good thing about this is the set up will retain all your your front accessories with possibly a new front cover. That is why Dart wants my front cover. Some will want to go over to a traditional dizzy, while some will keep the opti. What is great about this new engine is if you pop the hood, you will look factory stock.

There are head options and who knows, maybe Dart will offer a new head to mate with this new set up. It is up to them and you need to post up your feelings and wants.

This is closer to reality than you think.....
Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill take two.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would be interested
Old 04-06-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be interested as well. Not everyone wants to switch over to LS and start from scratch just to get some bigger cubes. I would love to have a 427 LT1, the HP, and especially torque gain would be worth it, and ONLY having to get a new shortblock to do it, not new k-member, PCM, accessories, bolt-ons, T56, etc, etc as needed with an LS swap. I truly hope this becomes a reality! Aluminum block would be nice for the weight savings, but I'm sure an iron block would keep the cost down, equating to more buyers.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about if it were say a version of the SHP block, as in made into an LT1?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

I would love to have one. If one ever came out. I'd def buy one.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

We (the LT1 community)can't let this opportunity slip by.....I don't have the money just yet but will very soon!!!!! bye bye sts kit lol Want one forsure
Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

If they were really going to build this, I would re think my LS1 swap to do a big inch LT1
Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don`t see how a 4.125 cylinder will fit a standard LT1 4.00 head. I would be down for one as long as the price was right and I could make a 427 out of it or more.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

I would also be interested in the long run. I know the limit of the LTx is in the 950whp area, the block just isnt strong enough to keep the crank straight. I would be interested in using my existing 355 but upping it to a 4.125 bore, giving me a 372 with another 40ft-bs or so. I would like to run 25psi as well, so the extra strength would be very beneficial. Having converted SBC heads already though, it would be just as easy for me to go to a dart SBC, so i dont know if its really worth it.

Last edited by Grr; 04-07-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Teching In

I don't think they could produce them fast enough. With reverse flow cooling everybody with a traditional small block will switch to LT1 to be able to run higher compression and keep the heads cooler. I definately want one. I would have to set my 383 to the side. permantely.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrcc2002
I definately want one. I would have to set my 383 to the side. permantely.
Same here, I think all of the parts I have gathered for my rebuild would have to be sold, as the thought of building my 385 would no longer be as exciting. I would love to have a 427 keeping the revs 6500 and having tons of torque.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am in the process of finishing my build with a F1-A Procharged 385 ci LT4, and just the thought of a F1-A Procharged 427 LTx is burning a hole in my pocket. If it was reasonably priced I would consider it, but my concerns echo what has already been stated with the limitation on the heads and intake choices to flow enough air for that HP level.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
I am in the process of finishing my build with a F1-A Procharged 385 ci LT4, and just the thought of a F1-A Procharged 427 LTx is burning a hole in my pocket. If it was reasonably priced I would consider it, but my concerns echo what has already been stated with the limitation on the heads and intake choices to flow enough air for that HP level.
Most would end up running converted SBC race heads until the LTX market catches up, but a reverse cooled big cube LTX is very tempting.

I'm sure if a big cube block was released it would just be a matter of time before head manufacturers would get the picture and start converting more of their SBC heads into LTX castings.

For those willing to drop the cash it would be a badass build option for a nasty street LT1, and an all out race build would be insane.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck

I'm sure if a big cube block was released it would just be a matter of time before head manufacturers would get the picture and start converting more of their SBC heads into LTX castings.

For those willing to drop the cash it would be a badass build option for a nasty street LT1, and an all out race build would be insane.
It would be a win-win situation for us and the companies that take advantage of the situation.

I'm optimistic about this, and although I may not have the $$ to throw down right now, it would be great to have something to shoot for in the future.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Teching In

I would be very interested in this. 427 c.i.d LT1!! now thats something I would love to have.

Last edited by pearlwhitez28; 04-07-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds cool, just to have a better quality block to work with than a stock block would be nice
Old 04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds cool...I might be interested in one. Not for awhile though, and of course, depending on cost.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update from Jerry Clayton...

On this block---here is the vision I have of where it'll settle in----
It will be a version of the Dart SHP SBC block, 4.125 bore
The front of the block will be where all the changes from the Gen 1 SHP block are to allow reverse cooling, LT water pump, Opti, engine accessories---Not go jumping on the bad points or short comings of the opti, as that argument won't make a grain of salt in this project because the guys who want an OEM look to there cars will run the stock water pump and opti---And the racers can install crank trigger and manifold mounted distributor, and even run a electric water pump--again, those that object, go your own way -------

My plan for a 2 piece rear seal is to allow a crank that is more easily balanced internally---so you must buy a flex plate/flywheel with a bigger bolt circle----

All oem accessories and mounts will fit the engine----

Exhaust system won't have to be changed

Any LT head /manifold will fit-----those of you that say the chambers are a problem don't know what your talking about---there is no differance between the Gen 1 and LT and the 4.125 bore will unshroud the valves and increase flow rates

Same camshafts/valve train/roller lifters

I see this as an ideal 427 cubes as with a stock cam location and a 3.875 stroke to gain clearance at the cam and piston deck thickness

Gaskets are already available for 4.200 bore from fel-pro

Wholesale selling price similar to SHP around $15-1750, maybe less (or more)

The SHP is cast in such a way that Dart saves quite a BIT IN MACHINING COSTS, hence the lower price

Slayed 4 bolt caps on 2,3,4 mains

GM does not support or service the LT block now, so anyone needing an engine block has no choice but junk yard---

If you want to race an unlimited type deal, get a Donovan,etc---this is planned to have a replacement block for the LTs that will go to a 4.200 bore and take a 4 in stroke----

If you want to run some kind of race where you are limited to a STOCK block of ANY kind, I feel sorry for you.

If you love your car with an LT, here's an oppurtunity to step up with some new parts, a higher level of power and still look right under the hood.

Jerry Clayton

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest in "BIG" CID LT1 Block