LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 question!! Belt Drive help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 question!! Belt Drive help!

Hey guys I was wondering where to find a belt drive system for my LT1. I did a quick search and didn't get any solid results. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

junk yard.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
junk yard.
+1...
Or find someone parting one out.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

I am looking for something like this...I want to switch over from timing chain..to timing belt.

Let me know if you guys can help, thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4psi
I am looking for something like this...I want to switch over from timing chain..to timing belt.

Let me know if you guys can help, thanks!
Uh...why
Old 04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Lighter, more reliable,stronger, and the ability to set they cam timing on the dyno.

Jesel makes one but you have to eliminate the opti spark, I was hoping to find a belt drive system that works with opti.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lighter, more reliable,stronger, and the ability to set they cam timing on the dyno.

Jesel makes one but you have to eliminate the opti spark, I was hoping to find a belt drive system that works with opti.
Have you heard many stories of LT1 timing chains breaking? Reduced rotational mass is always a plus, but the amount to be gained by what you want doesn't seem worth the money.
As far as reliablilty goes, get a double roller...it won't break and you will have to swap to an electric water pump, there's your reduced rotational mass right there.
You could also get an adjustable cam gear and do the same thing with a chain, but why?
Get your cam ground with the advance/retard you want, and the timing is computer controlled. You tune it on the dyno, not change the cam gear. Sounds like you want to use nostalgic methods on a modern car, which would be unnecessary.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think something like a Hex-adjust is about as close as you are going to get. I know it is still a chain but this easily fits and does not interfere with the opti.

Just as you play with cam timing remember to offset the ignition timng to get it back to where you had it.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Have you heard many stories of LT1 timing chains breaking? Reduced rotational mass is always a plus, but the amount to be gained by what you want doesn't seem worth the money.
As far as reliablilty goes, get a double roller...it won't break and you will have to swap to an electric water pump, there's your reduced rotational mass right there.
You could also get an adjustable cam gear and do the same thing with a chain, but why?
Get your cam ground with the advance/retard you want, and the timing is computer controlled. You tune it on the dyno, not change the cam gear. Sounds like you want to use nostalgic methods on a modern car, which would be unnecessary.
The car is apart because of the snapped chain.
Money is not a question.
I might end up going with double roller, but I like the guarantee of timing belt working flawlessly @ 8,000RPM+.
Dry timing belt is the only way I know off that allows easy access to cam timing. Cam manufactures grind advance/retard into the cam that would work in certain RPM band on average setup. Max effort setup needs cam timing dialed in.

Thanks for all the input, but I really didn't ask why should or shouldn't go with belt drive - I just want to know who makes one.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

The car is apart because of the snapped chain.
Money is not a question.
I might end up going with double roller, but I like the guarantee of timing belt working flawlessly @ 8,000RPM+.
Dry timing belt is the only way I know off that allows easy access to cam timing. Cam manufactures grind advance/retard into the cam that would work in certain RPM band on average setup. Max effort setup needs cam timing dialed in.

Thanks for all the input, but I really didn't ask why should or shouldn't go with belt drive - I just want to know who makes one.
True, I apologize.

Thought you might like this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...easer-pic.html

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 04-16-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks familiar

To answer your question , no one make a "LT1" belt drive.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:13 PM

Hey guys I was wondering where to find a belt drive system for my LT1. I did a quick search and didn't get any solid results. Thanks!
YES,the Lt-1does have a timing belt, ie, DOHC, i have replaced several over the years. Most agravating part is pulling radiator out of the way. You will know for sure if you have an Lt-1 just looking at front of engine. The entire front of the bilit aluminum block. Is a black metal cover. And that you have optispark and not a distributor. I have the belt number,or just get a water pump replacement kit, belt comes with. I have redo mine, again because of "help" didn't tighten the tensioner properly. Need any more info you are welcome to msg me or email, and I can walk you through it. Over 50yrs retired wrench bender. phtmwolf@gmail.com ,,, sub "LT-1 timing belt"..
Remember, the LT-1, the entire front of block is a black metal cover, is not LT-1 but a regular 5.7ci. Facebook, messenger. Be happy to help you through it.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:27 PM

Remember, behind alternator, water pump, ac pump. While you have it all taken apart, not a bad idea to replace Omni spark. Since you are going to have everything out of the way. Let me know how it goes for you.... James.....
Old 03-26-2022, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadtrip120
Looks familiar

To answer your question , no one make a "LT1" belt drive.
Jessel makes one. The SBC and LT1 are basically the same thing. The cam adapter is Gen 2. You can buy it and have them swap when you order it.
All you have to do is buy a SBC timing cover gasket and overlay it on a Lt1 timing gasket. Take that to a machine shop and have them cut out the delta from the same thickness and the Jessel timing cover. Then weld the piece to the Jessel cover.

super easy work

i did this years before I made my first turbo kit

Quick Reply: Lt1 question!! Belt Drive help!