LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dash removal, removing the Evaporator and all the heat componets ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash removal, removing the Evaporator and all the heat componets ?'s

So I have the dash completly out of my car. Taking it out I notice that there is alot of duct work there and that there is alot of vacumm line looking thinks under there attached to the plastic's removed. Am I good to remove pretty much everything under the dash with the a/c and heat delete or not? I have no clue what half of that stuff is and I don't want to be screwing things up. Like I said I had to remove the evaporator from the inside and have alot of things that I think can be deleted but not for sure! Wires everywhere and components and boxes everywhere! HELP WOULD BE GREAT AT THIS POINT! Thanks steve
Old 04-18-2009, 02:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toss everything but the electrical wires and components. vacuum lines, ducting, big black boc, etc can all go. then fab up or order a panel for the hole in the firewall. deleting your airbags as well?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

My god there is so much **** under there! What about the silver looking box that is on the passenger side behind where the glove box and **** is, keep all that stuff, wires go into that stuff....So what pretty much anything that has a wire going to it keep or what???? I have a vacuum line that runs through from under that goes into the stock wiring harness, what about this crap????I broke one off so hopefully it' good to go as well. I got the air bag out and like 3 black boxes although one of the black boxes have these EGR valve looking things, what is all of this stuff, good to go to the trash or what? Like I said there is so much stuff and I don't want to start f***ing with **** that has to stay.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Don't mess with the silver box. Security... I won't run without it TRUST ME....Found out the hard way after several hours of scratching our heads tracing everything down.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

So everything else good to go or what????
Old 04-18-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Along with this, How loud will the car be if I take out all of the padding from underneath the carpet. There is a bunch of rubber and tar **** that is on the firewall and the upper dash portion that follows the carpet all the way back from the looks of it. I want to remove all of it but I'm curious to how much of a noise barrier that this **** really is, input on this would be great, and fast would even be better because I'm in the process of plugging the evaperator hole and reinstalling the dash today!!!!! Thanks guys steve
Old 04-18-2009, 02:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I cut the whole black mat off of my 93. It weighs 13ish lbs. If you want any idea on how to take weight out of these cars click the 93 project link in my sig. I think I'm around 305 lbs so far of things that I've removed. That's still keeping the amenities like AC, PS, etc...
Old 04-18-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

I got rid of all of my A/C and heat components, While I have the dash out I'm thinking about the carpet padding. I need to know how big of a difference it will be as far as noise, heat and all of them kind of things. I don't want it not to be worth the hassle of pulling it if my car will sound like **** ridding in it and it will be extremely hot, no A/C and it's my weekend crusier not daily!
Old 04-18-2009, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

I went out and looked and there is a black box on the passanger side to leave as well.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Pics would be great of what to leave and what to trash!
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

How loud is it going to be in the car with out all of the sound deadending stuff???? I removed this from my dash, and the floor boards. As far as the carpet I had what looks like just padding under my stock carpet. there was no srcapping at all for me. It came out like a hand in a glove really. Fairly simple but now i'm leary on how loud my ride is going to be. It's not my daily but more or less a weekend cruiser, I have the cc306 cam in my forged 355 LT1. Just curious if it's going to be a pain, annoying and all of that kind of stuff. Thanks steve

Quick Reply: Dash removal, removing the Evaporator and all the heat componets ?'s