LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

FPR gas smell long start

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

An adjustable FPR wont do anything on 94+ cars, the PCM will reduce pulsewidth to compensate for the increase in pressure.
Pull the vacuum reference hose from the FPR, if its leaking 99% of the time fuel will drip from the hose/port. That will cause the extended cranking/fuel smell.
Replace it, $50 from any parts store and 1 hour of wrenching, problem solved.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem with mine is that it smells like gas when i let off from WOT, I have a tune for Ion so I wouldnt think it would be running to rich?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Well, the pressure is good at about 47psi when the pump turns on. But after the pump shuts off the pressure spikes down to 35psi then slowly goes to 0psi after about 2 minutes. I don't have the fuel line block off valve tools to check the fuel pressure regulator or injectors away from the pump.

Even though the regulator smells like gas, nothing is coming out of it. I can't find any leaks in the engine compartment next, I will check for leaks from the firewall back.

It looks like I will be cutting a hole in my trunk to replace the fuel pump. Shouldn't be too bad, I know there are write up on the site.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camerory
Well, the pressure is good at about 47psi when the pump turns on. But after the pump shuts off the pressure spikes down to 35psi then slowly goes to 0psi after about 2 minutes. I don't have the fuel line block off valve tools to check the fuel pressure regulator or injectors away from the pump.
Well the easiest check to do right now would be the pull the injector rail with injectors. Prime it and see if the injectors leak REAL bad.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Injectors are fine (I took a look at a few spark plugs), the question is just fuel pressure regulator or ball check in fuel pump.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

I ordered a Walbro 255 pump from Detroit Speed Shop. I think I found where the gas smell is coming from...my tank and filler neck are rusted and a faint gas smell is coming from the left back side panel. So now I am looking for a non-rusted tank at the junk yards so I can put in the new pump and tank this weekend.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camerory
I ordered a Walbro 255 pump from Detroit Speed Shop. I think I found where the gas smell is coming from...my tank and filler neck are rusted and a faint gas smell is coming from the left back side panel. So now I am looking for a non-rusted tank at the junk yards so I can put in the new pump and tank this weekend.
Look for one out of a 98+, they're plastic
Old 04-23-2009, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Yep, actually 99 and up are plastic. For some reason the 98's are the same steel tank as the 93-97's. I think I have an aftermarket tank because every time I fill up I put in 17 gallons. I know the 93-98's are only supose to hold 15.5 gallons.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Just an update for anyone who is intrested: I replaced my fuel pump today with the Walbro pump and that fixed my problem. The car starts up right away now. I also found out why my car was smelling like raw fuel. The relief hose that goes to the EVAP canister was not hooked up. So the gas was just being expelled into the air instead of being re-used.

Quick Reply: FPR gas smell long start