LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

whats required with lt4 hot cam kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrisd000111
that is what i would love mine to sound like
Sounds nice huh! Pulls hard too from the dig. You would have to get True Duels in order for it to sound like that though. Another thing you can do is install an electric cut out for some extra HP and great sound. I put a DMH on mine and it sounds awesome. http://www.fquick.com/videos/LE2_Z28...c_Cut_out/8212
Old 05-02-2009, 01:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt say i wanted to run 11's i was just saying i really dont care what it runs i just want it to have that nasty cam sound, but thanks for the tips
and with the lts and the y pipe will it move it any from side to side or just back farther
The HOT cam kit is just fine IMO. Yeah it's an old cam but it still makes good power. We've had several run across our dyno over the years that have hit pretty close to 350rwhp "cam-only" with full bolt-ons, LT's and an M6. My old '96 vette put down 34xrwhp with that cam before the stockers were ported . Despite what some suggest the HOT cam is by no means a bad choice. Heck for the money, I honestly can't think of anything much better!

On a side note, the 12551483 springs that come in the hotcam kit will work just fine for that cam, no need to upgrade until you go larger. Also if you have to pass a visual inspection in your state Long-tubes will not get the job done. You'll need to go with mid-lengths.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

He doesn't need to go with mids if he gets the LT's with the emission hook ups. Plenty of guys here with the LT Pacesetter Emission headers that pass just fine with the visual.. Oregon has one of the most strict emission/smog laws as well. Yes, the Hot Cam is a good kit but for the money he will get a much stronger/reliable set up piecing one together w/ a custom grind and going with better components for pretty much the same price.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
He doesn't need to go with mids if he gets the LT's with the emission hook ups. Plenty of guys here with the LT Pacesetter Emission headers that pass just fine with the visual.. Oregon has one of the most strict emission/smog laws as well. Yes, the Hot Cam is a good kit but for the money he will get a much stronger/reliable set up piecing one together w/ a custom grind and going with better components for pretty much the same price.
I don't know about the price of a custom-stick plus valvetrain components being the same as the GMPP HOT cam kit. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I live in the MOST stringent state...CA...and Long-Tubes ain't gonna fly down here. No how, no way, unless you know somebody. If you can get away with it up there then that's great! True a comparable stick like a LE1 or Crane 846 will make a bit more power, but not a bunch more. In any event all dyno #'s aside, if you compare track times from HOT cam, LE1's, 305, 846 cars there all pretty much in the same ball park, therefore differences are minimal either way you look at it.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Launching!

+4 on going with a custom grind.

Arctic your about the only one on here that's for the LT4 so I would say you are a little out numbered. If it was 1984 it would be a no brainer but we are well into the 2000's and better stuff has come along. The emission Pacesetter with the hook ups with pass just fine. Been there gone that route before and never a issue. That's why they make them afterall right?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Banned

Start a Poll on the LT4 kit vs Custom grind/kit. Then again you have a "LS1INSIDE" so you will probably come out on top

Good luck to the OP with your build
Old 05-02-2009, 02:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by GoFastKid
Arctic your about the only one on here that's for the LT4 so I would say you are a little out numbered.

If it was 1984 it would be a no brainer but we are well into the 2000's and better stuff has come along.
True "newer and slightly better" emissions-friendly cams have come along for the LT1, but track times don't lie. I never said an LE1 won't give you more power, i'm a big fan of Lloyd's products and have ran his LE2 H/C combo on a previous car. But as the owner of several and builder of many LT1's I know that the differences are minimal and have been exaggerated to a point.

The emission Pacesetter with the hook ups with pass just fine. Been there gone that route before and never a issue. That's why they make them afterall right?
Of course the emissions hook-ups are intended for emissions equipment, BUT that doesn't mean you will pass smog just because you have EGR and A.I.R provisions. Remember your in Arkansas. I imagine laws are a bit looser down there. Try to pull into your typical smog shop down here with "Emissions Compliant" Long-tubes and they will quickly issue a fail slip and send you on your way. Once again IDK how other states do it but I would hate for the O.P. to go through all the trouble of installing LT's and then have smog issues.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:17 PM
9 Second Club

Start a Poll on the LT4 kit vs Custom grind/kit. Then again you have a "LS1INSIDE" so you will probably come out on top

Good luck to the OP with your build
On a side note, beautiful Camaro in your sig pic!! Is it an original SS? I noticed your screen name is "Elliott's94Z" so I was thinking maybe clone??
Old 05-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Pacesetter Long tubes with the emissions hook up here in Bakersfield CA with never a issue of any sort. LT dumdumdum!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
Pacesetter Long tubes with the emissions hook up here in Bakersfield CA with never a issue of any sort. LT dumdumdum!
You got lucky!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ARCTIC '00
On a side note, beautiful Camaro in your sig pic!! Is it an original SS? I noticed your screen name is "Elliott's94Z" so I was thinking maybe clone??
+1! One of the nicest LTx cars I have ever seen.

You got lucky!
I wouldn't call passing the last 5 years lucky. They have seen my long tubes each time and never second guessed them. Have a buddy with a 96 LT as well that has passed with his to.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Sounds nice huh! Pulls hard too from the dig. You would have to get True Duels in order for it to sound like that though. Another thing you can do is install an electric cut out for some extra HP and great sound. I put a DMH on mine and it sounds awesome. http://www.fquick.com/videos/LE2_Z28...c_Cut_out/8212
i already have an electric cut out now so ill be set once i get the headers
Old 05-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

Thanks man! I cloned it with a aftermarket fiberglass functional SS hood and spoiler.

i already have an electric cut out now so ill be set once i get the headers
Awesome! They are fun to play with!
Old 05-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Launching!

yea its pretty fun when ricers pull up and its closed and then open it, i always close it whenever i see cops too, but its not even that loud i cant wait till i get headers, which i think im gonna go with pacesetter lt's then ill just do the cutout after the y and then the cat
Old 05-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

I like that idea

Quick Reply: whats required with lt4 hot cam kit