LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Project "bad ass" TRUE DUALS underway. Please comment on my design.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really like that set up alot man. i was concidering something similar when i do long tubes but i might just keep it a single 3" with a cutout. get some more pics on the car !
Old 05-05-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightering
I guess we can't talk you into using 2 Bullet mufflers instead?

LIL

Lloyd
Cant do the bullet mufflers, that would be too loud. My car is not a strip car, it is my fun car that sees the strip maybe once every couple years so exhaust volume is something I want to keep in check when driving it on vacation and especially with the wife.

I am going to place a pair of e-cutouts (space permitting) 18" behind the collectors for MAX performance. I made the most power on the Dino with 18" torque tubes right off the collectors so those cutouts would be a good compromise.

WRT the mufflers, I have thought about the chambered power sticks like those that are used on on the GM MG cutback. Seems to me that if the GM MG sounds as awesome as the guys on the board claim, then it should sound even better on TD setup. http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Cant do the bullet mufflers, that would be too loud. My car is not a strip car, it is my fun car that sees the strip maybe once every couple years so exhaust volume is something I want to keep in check when driving it on vacation and especially with the wife.

I am going to place a pair of e-cutouts (space permitting) 18" behind the collectors for MAX performance. I made the most power on the Dino with 18" torque tubes right off the collectors so those cutouts would be a good compromise.

WRT the mufflers, I have thought about the chambered power sticks like those that are used on on the GM MG cutback. Seems to me that if the GM MG sounds as awesome as the guys on the board claim, then it should sound even better on TD setup. http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html

Chambered mufflers are ****** loud. So if your worried about noise I probably woudlnt run those.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Chambered mufflers are ****** loud. So if your worried about noise I probably woudlnt run those.
So I can draw a comparison.
The GMMG catback, in general, will be much louder than the closed Borla catback.
Is that correct?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much MUCH louder.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have powersticks and my car is ******* loud
Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a friend had powersticks with high-flow cars through true duals and yes, its still loud. it was bearable for me though, and it sounded GREAT. i would compare how loud they are to bullets, its close
Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the response guys.
Again I dont want real loud "all the time" mufflers. So I am going to go with the Magnaflow dual in/out muffler p/n 12468
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=12468

Hopefully there will be room for the cutouts up near the front.

BTW the parts are starting to roll in. But it might take me a good month or so to complete.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
WHAT!?

I love how my car sounds with a single cut-out.
Well thats your opinion, I stated mine and I absolutely hate the sound of a cutout, you might as well be driving an old rusty truck with half of an exhaust. And cutouts when closed actually cost you power because of the turbulance that they casue.

I'll make a clip of my car when I get my interior done with a magnaflow dual in/dual out muffler in the stock location. I would have gone with bullets, but I had them before, they sounded good, but just too loud for my liking. The magnaflow sounds good, but I will probably change it out in the future for a spintech, borola, or something a little different.

Good luck with the setup, its a real PITA though
Old 05-21-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Update:
Project bad *** true duals is underway. The car is in the air and half of the Borla is off.

I have a pair of 9.75 inch long 3" test pipes slipped on the LT's collectors. These 9.75 inch test pipes can easily be swapped out when I want for 3" Magnaflow mini spun cats to go on vaction and not get smelly when the top is down.
I am then going to slip the Flowmaster 3" to 2.5" reducers on after the test pipes.
The Magnaflow 2.5" x-pipe will be directly behind the Midwest shorty torque arm mount.

This leaves the question of where to put the dual e-cutouts. There is little way they can go in front of the x-pipe. There is no room for them. They will be a few inches past the x-pipe which would put them under the rear seat lower bucket.

Would this be an ideal location to put the dual e-cutouts or should I try harder to get them further forward?

Last edited by wrd1972; 05-21-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The muffler you chose with the internal perforated X will quiet it down a little from full bullets, but will still be really loud :p. I run the same size and style muffler without the X on the inside (12469) and it is literally two race bullets in one case - the perforated pipes both go straight through with no louvers or nothing and it is just as loud as bullets. Mine is cut off right when the muffler ends pretty much at where the rear seats were. LOUD and a lot of interior noise - going all the way out the back would help that a lot though. For some reason even though it is simpler design its more expensive then the X one you used though, wtf?

Huge magnaflow fan here, it is going to sound GREAT.

As far as the cutouts go, I honestly don't think before or after the X will make a big difference as long as it is a smooth "siamese" X and not a rough sharp turn one. I'd slap them right after the X and be done with it.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Puck
The muffler you chose with the internal perforated X will quiet it down a little from full bullets, but will still be really loud :p. I run the same size and style muffler without the X on the inside (12469) and it is literally two race bullets in one case - the perforated pipes both go straight through with no louvers or nothing and it is just as loud as bullets. Mine is cut off right when the muffler ends pretty much at where the rear seats were. LOUD and a lot of interior noise - going all the way out the back would help that a lot though. For some reason even though it is simpler design its more expensive then the X one you used though, wtf?
Thanks for this response.
I am leaning toward the Magnaflow 12468 muffler (similar to what you have) at this time because I can get it at cost.

I still have the Dynomax Ultra Flow X 17553 muffler on the table but I cant get it at cost. This would put them both at nearly the same cost. Also if I ran this muffler, that would mean two X's or crossovers in the system. Dont know if that would be good or bad.

This is the Magnaflow X-pipe I am running. Hope this is a good one like you are referring to.

Maybe someone has some first hand experience with both of these mufflers and can chime in.

Last edited by wrd1972; 05-21-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for this response.
I am leaning toward the Magnaflow 12468 muffler (similar to what you have) at this time because I can get it at cost.

I still have the Dynomax Ultra Flow X 17553 muffler on the table but I cant get it at cost. This would put them both at nearly the same cost. Also if I ran this muffler, that would mean two X's or crossovers in the system. Dont know if that would be good or bad.

This is the Magnaflow X-pipe I am running. Hope this is a good one like you are referring to.

Maybe someone has some first hand experience with both of these mufflers and can chime in.
Same exact x-pipe as me, and my muffler is one model number off like you listed - the straight through version of the same thing. Your system should be just a little quieter, but still pretty loud...but its gonnna sound amazing . Sound will not change and won't get louder and higher pitched over time like with glasspacks since Magnaflow uses steel wool before the "special" absorbtion mat to protect it from heat and from blowing out.

That x-pipe has such a smoooooth transition, you do not have to worry about the gases slamming into each other like the sharp angled x-pipes.

I think you will be very happy with your system once it is all installed.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I hope this also means I wont have the nasty 2K RPM rasp (WAP WAP WAP machine gun sound) like I have now with my NON catted Borla and ORY. Please tell me this is correct.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I hope this also means I wont have the nasty 2K RPM rasp (WAP WAP WAP machine gun sound) like I have now with my NON catted Borla and ORY. Please tell me this is correct.
Mine thumps like a v-twin at idle and just roars when you get on it - no rasp, all bass. You could idle crawl through a parking garage and set off alarms from the deep rumble vibrations when you get close to cars without touching the gas .

The stall kept it above 2k almost all the time though so I really would only hear the idle and the 3k+ .
Old 05-30-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Update:
I have the pipes tacked together from the collector back to just before the axle. Looks real good so far. Note the test pipes in pic1 where I can switch out to cats. Also the ground clearance is incredible.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Looking good!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Update:
I am currently running the pipes over the axle and into the muffler, still looking really awesome.

The right most side pipe over the axle was cake but that left side curly-Q pipe that runs under the pan-hard rod is driving me nuts. I cant get my head up in there to make useful markings in order to trim the pipes. Its going to take a little more time to get that right. Thankfully this will be the last aggravating hurdle to clear.

Next will be adding hangers to secure everything.

I ended up using the following pipes:
4 Magnaflow SS J-bends
4 Magnaflow SS L-bends
1 Magnaflow SS 45 degree bend

I even purchased a 10 foot section of straight SS pipe but so far I have only needed 2 feet of it and that was for the "catalytic converter" simulators or test pipes. Most likely there was no need to get that much straight pipe. If any one wants a good deal on some stainless 2.5 inch pipe, PM me.

The only special tools needed have been:
Metal cutoff wheel (chop saw)
Sawzall with good metal cutting blades
Stationary disk/belt sander
Tailpipe expander (only for slightly enlarging pipes)
Drum sander (to clean flash from inside the pipes)
MIG welder

I have had to make several trips to the muffler shop to have pipes expanded using the heavy hydraulic machine in order to create the slip-fits too.

More pics will be posted soon.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

sick.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

I bet it wont pick up anything over a regular 3" system, or minimal at best. and it will be twice the weight.

Quick Reply: Project "bad ass" TRUE DUALS underway. Please comment on my design.