LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

When installing a EWP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When installing a EWP?

As I sit here looking at a box of parts (from my favorite mail order) one being a electric water pump I wonder when I install the ewp do I need to remove the waterpump gear out of the engine? I had planed on removing the pan and timing cover Replacing the oil pump front and rear seal etc. I also plan on replacing the cap roter etc and clutch. Also can you remove the pan in the car? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, you gotta remove the water pump drive gear and plug it. I cant remember what people have used, but im sure someone will chime in here in a bit.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Is it possible to remove the pan in car ?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1bad72
As I sit here looking at a box of parts (from my favorite mail order) one being a electric water pump I wonder when I install the ewp do I need to remove the waterpump gear out of the engine? I had planed on removing the pan and timing cover Replacing the oil pump front and rear seal etc. I also plan on replacing the cap roter etc and clutch. Also can you remove the pan in the car? Thanks in advance.
yes you can remove the pan with the engine int he car. you just have to lift the engine up abit by removing the bolts for the engine mounts and lifting it up. you dont need to remove the gear from behing the timing chain but if your going to be going in there anyway then it wouldnt hurt to remove it. you can do somethign ghetto like JB weld a penny there or bring it to a shop and have it welded closed.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it possible to remove the pan in car ?
you can remove the oil pan , done it several timec , pain in the *** lol ,just remove the motor mount bolts , jack the motor up a little and it will come out .
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

didnt mean to push the hijacked,lol....
Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

No Big deal. I'm only getting 15 min per night to work on it but I figure anything doing is worth doing right. Plus I need to fix some oil leaks and replace a wasted clutch.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_tx_Z28
yup, you gotta remove the water pump drive gear and plug it. I cant remember what people have used, but im sure someone will chime in here in a bit.
No, you do not need to remove the gear. It is not absolutely necessary, although most people do.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
No, you do not need to remove the gear. It is not absolutely necessary, although most people do.
oh my bad! lol.. i always heard of people doing it. I guess thats what i get for saying something and not actually doing it myself. To the OP, keep us posted!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd be careful saying definitively that you can remove the oil pan on car. I had to remove the motor mounts, jack up the engine, and nearly remove the k-member to get mine out on an M6. Also you don't have to remove the gear, it is a good idea though since you are planning on removing the timing cover. You will need an LT1 specific wp drive gear puller (or you can fab one up.)
Old 05-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

I finaly got the car 60% torn apart. What a pain.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Alright WTF!!!!!! I got the water pump out of the car and started to get it ready to install the ewp but cant seam to figure out how to remove the stock impeller and shaft. Am I retarded or what? Any help would be great. Also when installing the ewp is there anything I have to do to the weep hole?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

trust me i know what you mean about what a PITA it is tearing it down. it too kme half a day to get mine this far with hand tools...

and it all started out by just needing to replace the cap and rotor
Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alright WTF!!!!!! I got the water pump out of the car and started to get it ready to install the ewp but cant seam to figure out how to remove the stock impeller and shaft. Am I retarded or what? Any help would be great. Also when installing the ewp is there anything I have to do to the weep hole?
Pound out the impeller shaft from the FRONT to the BACK, then remove the bushing from the BACK to the FRONT.

You don't need to do anything with the weep hole. When you install the new pump and freeze plug it is no longer used.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Pound out the impeller shaft from the FRONT to the BACK, then remove the bushing from the BACK to the FRONT.

You don't need to do anything with the weep hole. When you install the new pump and freeze plug it is no longer used.
Thanks. I really wanted to beat the hell out of it last night(after a very long day) but collected my thoughts and called it a night.I hope to have the engine back together by sunday....... and the trans out. It will never end. At least I'm getting a reason to buy a cai and new clutch
Old 05-09-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_tx_Z28
No, actually it would be fine if you just remove the waterpump drive shaft. I doubt that he's talking about the parts inside the pump itself as removing that is a given. However, if you're going through the trouble of pulling the timing cover it wouldn't make sense not to remove it and put a new timing set in it.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

I was actully talking about the timing cover. I'm not sure if I will be pulling the cover or if I will wait till I do a cam swap. I'm having trouble removing the impeller shaft right now (no press).
Old 05-09-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I was actully talking about the timing cover. I'm not sure if I will be pulling the cover or if I will wait till I do a cam swap. I'm having trouble removing the impeller shaft right now (no press).
Ugh, sucks to be you, get a bigger hammer, lol!
Old 05-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
Ugh, sucks to be you, get a bigger hammer, lol!
Air hammer Problem solved. The local parts stores don't have crap for LT1's so I think I will leave that for another time. I still cant find a 160 thermostat.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Well S**t!!!!!! Lets see I found the timing cover gasket set and a 160 thermostat, pulled the front cover and found the oil pan gasket was ripped The good news is the timing set is in decent shape. And thats about it.

Ok with the steam let off, what have you guys used to plug the waterpump drive gear hole in the timing cover? Hell I'm this far why not?