LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock TB -> 52MM bored stock

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
My tuner says "no re-tune is needed when stepping up a size in TB".
If you are an auto, you need it (at least from what I've read).
Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I don't think you would need a tune, but throw it on and see how it runs. If it acts up, swap back to the stock one and wait for a re-tune. Swapping TB is only a matter of minutes.
If it acts up then the IAC counts and the blades need to be adjusted out. IAC counts need to be around 40-50 for best idle.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tuner says "no re-tune is needed when stepping up a size in TB".
Exactly what my tuner/mechanic said as well. Only really for A/M ones.

If it acts up then the IAC counts and the blades need to be adjusted out. IAC counts need to be around 40-50 for best idle.
Tuner already said my Air tables were maxed out? Is that what he is reffering too?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

so i just finished installing the TB and i can tell a huge difference in throttle response, and also a little on the top end. Only took like 30 minutes total including finishing my beer

Shoulda done the TB a while ago but i figure it feels like it did so much since im already full bolt-on's and baby cammed.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
so i just finished installing the TB and i can tell a huge difference in throttle response, and also a little on the top end. Only took like 30 minutes total including finishing my beer

Shoulda done the TB a while ago but i figure it feels like it did so much since im already full bolt-on's and baby cammed.
Really? Looks like I'm going to step it up and go get a 54mm ported stocker, im still sitting on the stock 48mm with foil.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 AM
TECH Regular

Me too...do you have long tubes/full exhaust PNYKLR-TA? I ask because I lost some bottom end when swapping exhaust...just wondering if I would get some back with the TB upgrade/CAI?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cant comment on air tables. But you need a data logger or a scanmaster to check the IAC counts. Again it should be around 40-50. This can be adjusted by tweaking the TPS sensor and the position of the blades.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sdotlog
Really? Looks like I'm going to step it up and go get a 54mm ported stocker, im still sitting on the stock 48mm with foil.
The intake holes on your actual intake manifold are only 52mm's so jumping up to a 54mm might hurt performance a little because the openings do not match and may cause a little turbulance in the air.

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
Me too...do you have long tubes/full exhaust PNYKLR-TA? I ask because I lost some bottom end when swapping exhaust...just wondering if I would get some back with the TB upgrade/CAI?
Yes i have pace setter long tubes, flowmaster cat back, SLP CAI, USP UD pullies, airfoil, 1LE intake elbow, Cam, 1.6RR's and all supporting valve train, plus a built tranny with a 3200rpm stall.

And yes you are correct, but you really didnt lose anything, the torque power band just moved up in the rpm range when you swapped to the Long tubes, and yes the 52MM TB gave it alot more snap down low, i barely have to hit the gas now and it downshifts instantly, or starts accelerating much more rapidly than it used to.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

you do want to get PCM adjusted for ANY larger TB on a Automatic car. Line pressure for tranny needs to be bumped up, especially at part throttle...or tranny failure will follow.

IAC counts want to be between 30-35....not 40-50 as mentioned

"If" on a stock re-bored TB the IAC counts are off...the way to fix that is drill the hole 1/64" larger....not adjust blades or slot the TPS case. You need a scan tool to measure IAC counts. TPS voltage can be measured with volt meter or scan tool
Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ******
you do want to get PCM adjusted for ANY larger TB on a Automatic car. Line pressure for tranny needs to be bumped up, especially at part throttle...or tranny failure will follow.

IAC counts want to be between 30-35....not 40-50 as mentioned

"If" on a stock re-bored TB the IAC counts are off...the way to fix that is drill the hole 1/64" larger....not adjust blades or slot the TPS case. You need a scan tool to measure IAC counts. TPS voltage can be measured with volt meter or scan tool
Even if the Tranny has a stage 2 shift kit? I thought that raised the line pressure?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

you still need to bump it up even though you have a shift kit. your power come in alot sooner then before. aka thats why your accelerating much more rapidly than it used to because the air that used to pass in the tb at 15% now pass in at 10% or less and the line pressure is at your 10% psi level and not the 15% level that it needs to be at. you can do it your way but why take the risk on your trans. so do it right and be done FTMFW
Old 05-14-2009, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by goldmecham
you still need to bump it up even though you have a shift kit. your power come in alot sooner then before. aka thats why your accelerating much more rapidly than it used to because the air that used to pass in the tb at 15% now pass in at 10% or less and the line pressure is at your 10% psi level and not the 15% level that it needs to be at. you can do it your way but why take the risk on your trans. so do it right and be done FTMFW
Well i understand all what you guys are saying. My mechanic who not only built my tranny, also tuned the car, and he is saying i dont need a re-tune, and he is positive the trans will hold up. So thanks everyone, and if i feel anything differently with the trans or its shifting i will take it and ask for a re-tune most definitely.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Well i understand all what you guys are saying. My mechanic who not only built my tranny, also tuned the car, and he is saying i dont need a re-tune, and he is positive the trans will hold up. So thanks everyone, and if i feel anything differently with the trans or its shifting i will take it and ask for a re-tune most definitely.

Thanks!
...well you asked for forum advice but will follow opposite advice from your builder/tuner

good luck

it is well known that tranmission line pressure needs to be adjusted with larger TB's for the reasons stated. Just because you have a "built" tranny does not replace PCM adjustments.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

...well you asked for forum advice but will follow opposite advice from your builder/tuner

good luck

it is well known that tranmission line pressure needs to be adjusted with larger TB's for the reasons stated. Just because you have a "built" tranny does not replace PCM adjustments.
You are correct, i came in to get your guys opinions, and i got them. And of coarse i am going to follow his advice, he does all the work on my car and has not lead me wrong yet. If something fails i am positive he will repair the transmission.

Thank you for your opinions, and for all i know, or you guys for that matter, is when my car was originally tuned it may have been already tuned for a larger TB being i had every other bolt-on besides a TB.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

The intake holes on your actual intake manifold are only 52mm's so jumping up to a 54mm might hurt performance a little because the openings do not match and may cause a little turbulance in the air.
I've got the intake manifold ported out by LE so its been bored out to 58mm. Just not sure what 58mm tb to go with.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

good luck

Well that solves a question i was going to ask. Guess I'll wait till i get my new injectors, fuel pump, tranny with yank stall and bigger throttle body(whichever one i make my mind up on.) still doing the research.