LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I did it!! LS1 Lid and Base on LT1 Camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black94Z28
Got it to fit! As most of you know ive been trying to get this to work without cutting up the core support. Awhile back I bought the Glassteck 4 inch cowl hood hoping it would just bolt up...well it didnt. It was hitting the underhood bracing. So my friend brought over a cutoff wheel and we cut out the bracing under the cowl section of the hood and test fitted the lid and to our surprise it fit like a glove Now just have to go to AutoZone and pick up the temp sensor to fit into the lid. I will get some better pics soon, just took these from a cell phone. And yes I know, the engine bay is long overdue for a makeover...

Parts I used...
LS1 Radiator Base
SLP Lid
LS1 Bellow (probably replace with smooth one down the road)
K&N Filter

very nice work. did you gain any rwhp over aftermarket LT1 cold air kits like K&N, moroso, SLP...etc?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this on my Firebird as well and I really like it, seems to pull more air too. Theres a pic of it on my fquick site.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abdullah
very nice work. did you gain any rwhp over aftermarket LT1 cold air kits like K&N, moroso, SLP...etc?
I did a few things all at once, so Im not sure how big of a difference it made over my old Moroso CAI, but in theory, it should have been an improvement since its a straight flow, probably pulling in more air since I dont have foglights, ac cooler, or any bumper supports and I also have a K&N filter under the SLP lid
Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Default ac condenser and air bellow .

hey black 94. does the air box leave room for the ac condenser ? and what
kind of air bellow is hooked to throttle body ? im going with a 93-97 ws6 style hood
for my 94 formula .

Last edited by formula vincent; 09-13-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by formula vincent
hey black 94. does the air box leave room for the ac condenser ? and what
kind of air bellow is hooked to throttle body ? im going with a 93-97 ws6 style hood
for my 94 formula .
Im not running the AC condenser, but since its a factory LS1 base, Im sure it will fit just like they do in the LS1 cars. I used the stock LS1 air bellow for now, although I will upgrade down the road to a smooth one. I tried the Fernco one and it didnt fit right on the car.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

it leaves plenty of room for the a/c condenser. many of us on here have done this mod. Some with the ls1 lid only and some with the ls1 base as well. Some people still retain the a/c after doing this mod. I had already removed my a/c but her is a pic of mine done back when the car was still somewhat together.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Wish I could do this. Took me forever just to clean my filter from my k@n intake tonight. Don't think anything else will clear my ss hood though
Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

way to bump a old thread
Old 06-13-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, this is an old thread but the debate still goes on as to whether the lid actually helps over a cai. Data logging your maf before and after will show that you get better airflow with the lid. I don't remember the amount of difference it made on mine, but I recently emailed Solomon who said that it makes a big enough difference that it requires retuning the maf to get things right. My car had been running rich enough after installing the lid that my exhaust was getting covered with soot. After retuning to allow for the lid, the exhaust tips are staying clean. I gained .17 corrected after installing the lid without retuning. Haven't tested again after the retune.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice

Originally Posted by litch2004
it leaves plenty of room for the a/c condenser. many of us on here have done this mod. Some with the ls1 lid only and some with the ls1 base as well. Some people still retain the a/c after doing this mod. I had already removed my a/c but her is a pic of mine done back when the car was still somewhat together.

what exact strut tower brace is that?

Quick Reply: I did it!! LS1 Lid and Base on LT1 Camaro!