Cam only LT1 makes 396 HP, record?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Agreed.

Shows how much you know about LT1's.
Yeah, it's not like he has drove a 9 second LT1 or anything?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont see how that possable. not with a cam only, the dyno was off.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ALEXZ28
dont see how that possable. not with a cam only, the dyno was off.
Others dynoed and it appears to be an accurate dyno (as accurate as they get anyway).
Old 05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It seems like there are a few people that really want the results to be true, like it's their car, lol.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

It seems like there are a few people that really want the results to be true, like it's their car, lol.
LOL, I do, means my car has a TON of unlocked potential if true.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
i rarely see LT1 h/c cars making 400 rwhp. in fact, i have only read of a few and they had a lot of work put in them.
LT1 cars can make WAY more than 400rwhp if done right.

Here's one example. N/A 355, solid roller with A.I. 200cc heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQJrF...eature=related
Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Launching!

The car in question is my Wifes. It has been one of our projects for quite some time now.

I wish that it was TRULY cam only and making these numbers, but I have to say,
Sorry guys the car is not a record breaking lt1. There is more to it then meets the eye.

I never meant for the numbers to be posted (One of the members thats on here and N2S posted them). I was planning on taking the car to a local dyno (privately!) to see what it put down and check the tune (which needs some help!), but could not pass up 2 runs for $35 at the dyno day event.
As far as all of my friends knew (on and off line), all I did was a cam swap.
everyone thought that the car was going to be weak stock LT1 with a cam

Whan asked what it had done at the dyno day, I had to stick to the waht I told my friends (some of them were there)

I planned on running it against a few locals and also at N2S's DH10 event. I wanted to leave a few people scratching thier heads wondering what was REALLY up with the grey LT1. Well it looks like I have alredy done that lol. Although I wanted it to be because of its performance, not it's dyno numbers

I dont have time to get into all the details right now. But I will post everything about the car and its ACTUAL mods later tonight.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mpe331lx
The car in question is my Wifes. It has been one of our projects for quite some time now.

I wish that it was TRULY cam only and making these numbers, but I have to say,
Sorry guys the car is not a record breaking lt1. There is more to it then meets the eye.

I never meant for the numbers to be posted (One of the members thats on here and N2S posted them). I was planning on taking the car to a local dyno (privately!) to see what it put down and check the tune (which needs some help!), but could not pass up 2 runs for $35 at the dyno day event.
As far as all of my friends knew (on and off line), all I did was a cam swap.
everyone thought that the car was going to be weak stock LT1 with a cam

Whan asked what it had done at the dyno day, I had to stick to the waht I told my friends (some of them were there)

I planned on running it against a few locals and also at N2S's DH10 event. I wanted to leave a few people scratching thier heads wondering what was REALLY up with the grey LT1. Well it looks like I have alredy done that lol. Although I wanted it to be because of its performance, not it's dyno numbers

I dont have time to get into all the details right now. But I will post everything about the car and its ACTUAL mods later tonight.
Ahah, awaiting details...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

See what ya started Phil!!!LOL! Good numbers regaurdless!!!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed.

Shows how much you know about LT1's.
clown.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ARCTIC '00
LT1 cars can make WAY more than 400rwhp if done right.

Here's one example. N/A 355, solid roller with A.I. 200cc heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQJrF...eature=related
on youtube, i can find a LOAD of 500 rwhp h/c/i hydraulic roller ls1s. i can find a bunch of 600+ rwhp solid roller ls1 motors. i can find 2500+ hp twin turbo big blocks.

what is your point?
Old 05-18-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by titter
Do you have proof to back up that statement?
Lmao, math?

Peak headflow cfm is approximately half of the hp potential
of any given set of heads when ran NA. Look at the flow sheet of unmolested virgin LT1 heads. See where I'm going??? Not exact formulas, but close enough to give an idea.

Also, don't anyone fool themselves into thinking SE heads are anywhere near stock. Chances are just their valve job has more cash and work put into it then your whole heads and valvetrain.

Looks like the car in question has already spoken up. Thanks for speaking up! It is still a great build by any means, and 400rwhp from a stock bottom end is nice no matter how you look at it. People just started assuming it was some magic rule breaking cam with specs given by Jesus in a dream that did more then anything else has in the last 15+ years.

The build sounds great, I am very interested in hearing more specifics. I am not registered at the speed boards but lurk occasionally - I am a central FL resident myself and was told about the site like a year ago from a FL board member on another site . Keep up the good work, looking forward to maybe joining you guys to hang out in the future once my latest turd is finished
Old 05-18-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Puck
Lmao, math?

of any given set of heads when ran NA. Look at the flow sheet of unmolested virgin LT1 heads. See where I'm going??? Not exact formulas, but close enough to give an idea.
Yup.

People just started assuming it was some magic rule breaking cam with specs given by Jesus in a dream that did more then anything else has in the last 15+ years.
LOL
Old 05-18-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

clown.
Clown
Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Phil, thumbs up on clarifying. looks like there is some egg on some folks face on here, but i dont expect anyone to retract any statements. he could have just kept up the story of cam only, but he was man enough to state it wasnt cam only. as for the real combo, dont feel the need to spill the beans. its your car (wifes) money and combo!

i love to see fast LT1s.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Clown
refer to post 80 - and yes, i think you are a clown the way to talk to people.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 97blkz

It is stock ci, but there is some porting work on the heads.
Without reading this whole thing, you even stated in the first post that he has ported stock heads... definitely believeable... but not cam only.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

refer to post 80 - and yes, i think you are a clown the way to talk to people.
It was disrespectful and I apologize.

However, a 230/236 .550"/.560" is by no means a small cam for a stock headed, stock cubed car...you'd have to spin to ~6500 rpm to fully utilize that cam, pretty hazardous on a stock bottom end.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Lmao, math?

Also, don't anyone fool themselves into thinking SE heads are anywhere near stock. Chances are just their valve job has more cash and work put into it then your whole heads and valvetrain.

Looks like the car in question has already spoken up. Thanks for speaking up! It is still a great build by any means, and 400rwhp from a stock bottom end is nice no matter how you look at it. People just started assuming it was some magic rule breaking cam with specs given by Jesus in a dream that did more then anything else has in the last 15+ years.

The build sounds great, I am very interested in hearing more specifics. I am not registered at the speed boards but lurk occasionally - I am a central FL resident myself and was told about the site like a year ago from a FL board member on another site . Keep up the good work, looking forward to maybe joining you guys to hang out in the future once my latest turd is finished
And with that said, people tend to put to much onto the cam to make power. Heads are just as important and IMO are more important on LT and LS cars. With a good/great head, and even a stock or not well thought out cam can still make good power. Now try using a cam that is known for making great power with a head that has crappy or oversized runner and chances are, power will not be gained or will be down in some cases. I dont think that some people konw what to look for as far as choosing the right valve size, runner sizes and port shape ( and that is just scratching the surface). These motor tend to "band-aid" poor cam choice as they are not as sensitive as some motors. Kinda like taking heads that flow 340cfm and slapping on a LS6 intake that has trouble supplying 270cfm on top and expecting a 108-110 lsa, big duration cam to be "peaky" and have great peformance. I have seen it done in many cases. Look at the LS2 that swap over to L92 heads, have them ported and run a L76 intake, or taking 243heads that are ported and flowing 330's and slaping a LS6 intake on top. Just examples I am using. On the other hand, look at the stock cammed LS1's making around 400 to the wheels with ported 243'sthat have great low/mid range flow numbers and maxing out at 290-300cfm. Now stick a cam that has been known to pick up 60, 70, 80 hp on top of that and people think gold has been found.... its just well thought-out and researched combo's, not always the big dollar set-up nor huge cams.

I know I got off topic here quite a bit but it is probally something that should be read by people that may visit this thread.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Without reading this whole thing, you even stated in the first post that he has ported stock heads... definitely believeable... but not cam only.
Oh holly ****, that was from the thread on the other site from someone else!!!

Quick Reply: Cam only LT1 makes 396 HP, record?