LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

It's official Big cubed LTX block

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Exactly. I foresee a lot of 420+ cubic inch LT1's topped of with shitty heads to make mediocre performers.
Yea, this was the only reason I asked! I wouldn't really wanna spend a ton of money to make power I could on an LS swap in to my already heavy B-body. I don't think this is a bad thing, LT-1's handled business back in the day but have become the red-headed stepchild with the LS in the same picture. Reverse cooling, opti-crap, and not so great flowing heads(by todays standards) somewhat limit it's performance. I'm not flaming them, I own to Gen II cars and no LS cars. I would definetly be interested in building one of these and will for sure have it's stumbling blocks making it flow and breathe like it should N/A with that many cubes and upgraded stock style induction.
I haven't looked into this aftermarket style LT intake setup yet, and maybe that with some great LE heads would be the flow answer???

-SS
Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

I would love to build one of these blocks. I would do a single plane intake with an LSx throttle body, I would want to keep the motor on the stock PCM, but I don't know if you can even do that with the LSx throttle body. Then some ported Dart heads and a nice solid roller cam

A 427 would be badass, but even a 406 would be nice. I would want a really good all around street motor. I could build a 396 and basically get the same thing, but as mentioned before by the time all of the machining is done you might as well get the block and have something "bulletproof"

To get my 355 done I had $1200 in just machining. Align honed, decked, bored, the usual stuff. Then I added a stock crank and rods but it runs good and brings a smile to my face LOL

But I look foward to seeing some build-ups and some new times for our old LT1s
Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I would love to build one of these blocks. I would do a single plane intake with an LSx throttle body, I would want to keep the motor on the stock PCM, but I don't know if you can even do that with the LSx throttle body. Then some ported Dart heads and a nice solid roller cam

A 427 would be badass, but even a 406 would be nice. I would want a really good all around street motor. I could build a 396 and basically get the same thing, but as mentioned before by the time all of the machining is done you might as well get the block and have something "bulletproof"

To get my 355 done I had $1200 in just machining. Align honed, decked, bored, the usual stuff. Then I added a stock crank and rods but it runs good and brings a smile to my face LOL

But I look foward to seeing some build-ups and some new times for our old LT1s
Like using a Livernois induction elbow bolted to the single plane and an LS TB, MAF, then a filter with iat and such??? Can that be done?

-SS
Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodscrap
Yea, this was the only reason I asked! I wouldn't really wanna spend a ton of money to make power I could on an LS swap in to my already heavy B-body. I don't think this is a bad thing, LT-1's handled business back in the day but have become the red-headed stepchild with the LS in the same picture. Reverse cooling, opti-crap, and not so great flowing heads(by todays standards) somewhat limit it's performance. I'm not flaming them, I own to Gen II cars and no LS cars. I would definetly be interested in building one of these and will for sure have it's stumbling blocks making it flow and breathe like it should N/A with that many cubes and upgraded stock style induction.
I haven't looked into this aftermarket style LT intake setup yet, and maybe that with some great LE heads would be the flow answer???

-SS
Reverse cooling is a blessing, not a hindrance, and the opti is not nearly as big a problem as some make it out to be. The heads are the only real crutch of the LTX platform IMO!
Originally Posted by hotrodscrap
Like using a Livernois induction elbow bolted to the single plane and an LS TB, MAF, then a filter with iat and such??? Can that be done?

-SS
Yep, you can use an LSX style TB it you wanted, but why in the world would you want the LSX MAF/IAT setup? The LTX MAF is fine, and if it really bothers you disconnect it and tune for speed density for the whole single digit hp difference. The LTX TB system is not a problem at all - a 58mm AS&M flows better then a lot of LSX single blade throttle bodies do! Really, the only problem with the LTX's is the heads. Give us some big flowing heads or convert some race SBC heads and throw them on this big cube LTX block and the LSX advantage will be all but gone. Remember, we can run huge compression on 93 octane thanks to reverse cooling!

Nitrous Outlet has 860 Performance LSX and LTX style intakes for single plain use that can be rigged up on an LTX. http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...el=143&dept=11.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right on, makes me even more excited, like I said no offense. This deal is going to be held to a high standard. I didn't mean reverse cooling was a bad thing, just a bit different to work with, and limited aftermarket stuff because of this. I really do LOVE LT motors!!!

-SS
Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
Nitrous Outlet has 860 Performance LSX and LTX style intakes for single plain use that can be rigged up on an LTX. http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...el=143&dept=11.
I have been looking at those for quite some time. I would really like to make the switch to single plane, especially with the 860 since most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference......well the people from around here LOL
Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I have been looking at those for quite some time. I would really like to make the switch to single plane, especially with the 860 since most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference......well the people from around here LOL
Powder coat it grey and stick on fake 3M chrome stripes and you'll be good to go .
Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, seriously. This is awesome.

434 topped with a set of AFR competition ported 210 Eliminators, or even 227's.

and a small shot to "cool it down" LMFAO that would be so fn wicked.

I agree that the cost is one thing to consider though, if you set down and figure doing everything RIGHT, to utilize the extra flow capacity of this block, it will get spendy quick.

Maybe not much more than a properly built 396, but those aren't cheap either "properly built".
Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is awesome, can't wait to start seeing them hit the rollers and tracks...To be con't

-SS
Old 05-22-2009, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Personally if I decide to ditch my TT 383 before I finish it and replace it with a 427, i wouldn't screw around with any LTX head casting. I'm thinkin a set of converted Allpro heads, sheetmetal intake, and a couple turbonetics 70's. Question is, can I sneak it by the wife.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6-8 weeks MIGHT take a little longer, no big deal that gives me more time to save and plan

I got this email back from my engine builder, forwarded from Dart

"Rick,
What's the availability and price on one of the LT Dart blocks? Got a guy who needs one."

REPLY-
These blocks are not going to be produced for about 3 months (I’d guess). They are still in the 3-D phase of making the tooling. Pricing at this point is basically a guess, but I’d figure on retail being about $1900 ish.
Rick Zwieg
Tech/Sales
Dart Machinery, Ltd.
(248) 362-1188 x 129"

No sure how accurate this is so dont blow up about it, just thought i would post it for everyone that is planing on buying one and not just talking about buy one.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
While I am thrilled about the release of this block...is anyone out there questioning the purpose? I mean, if you are going to use this block with a single plane intake, carb, converted SBC heads, solid roller, etc, etc...why wouldn't you just build a huge cube SBC motor using a World, Motown, etc big cube inch block?

Dude, you have ove 4500 posts in just over a year... your a TROLL! If you are truly an LS1 guy, then go hang out with all the other GODS in the rest of this site! As a true LT-1 guy, I am thrilled to see a huge company like Dart cater to my needs. Im sure a set of AFR 210's or 227's for christ sake will handle the breathing. And not to mention, the equipment that companies will develop to acomidate these quality blocks. So take your negative energy outa here and get I'm sick ppl like you! Not everyone chooses to go mainstream, or has to have the newest thing out (which you dont!) Some ppl like to be the underdog and make out of TROLL's like you! now just you !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 02:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK,97,T/A,M-6
Dude, you have ove 4500 posts in just over a year... your a TROLL! If you are truly an LS1 guy, then go hang out with all the other GODS in the rest of this site! As a true LT-1 guy, I am thrilled to see a huge company like Dart cater to my needs. Im sure a set of AFR 210's or 227's for christ sake will handle the breathing. And not to mention, the equipment that companies will develop to acomidate these quality blocks. So take your negative energy outa here and get I'm sick ppl like you! Not everyone chooses to go mainstream, or has to have the newest thing out (which you dont!) Some ppl like to be the underdog and make out of TROLL's like you! now just you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO
Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

Oh you like that? LOL. Had a few beers...Alcohol is a truth syrum. Dont like to be a dick, but I dont like when ppl float around and gloat or whatever.

All in all, Its a good day for LT guy's, and I'd like to thank Dart for remembering us 'peasants'............
Old 05-22-2009, 04:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blk,97,t/a,m-6
all in all, its a good day for lt guy's, and i'd like to thank dart for remembering us 'peasants'............
10 - 4
Old 05-22-2009, 05:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Dude, seriously. This is awesome.

434 topped with a set of AFR competition ported 210 Eliminators, or even 227's.

and a small shot to "cool it down" LMFAO that would be so fn wicked.

I agree that the cost is one thing to consider though, if you set down and figure doing everything RIGHT, to utilize the extra flow capacity of this block, it will get spendy quick.

Maybe not much more than a properly built 396, but those aren't cheap either "properly built".

My build:

427-434
AFR 227's (already have them)
13.5-1 compression
E85 1050 Dominator
Super Vic
Nasty Solid Roller 25x/26x @.050
250 shot plate system
car weighs around 2800
driven on the street of course

I would guess it around 675-700 at the wheels N/A

The only out-of-the box heads that could potentially handle the flow would be AFR 210's (comp) or 227's (race or comp), or the new 235's when they release them. Anything else and you'll have to send out for some port work. The TFS 21 degree heads flows pretty good, but not good enough, and the port is pretty damn small to feed a 427 cube motor.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, this should be interesting.. I'd really like one.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
My build:

427-434
AFR 227's (already have them)
13.5-1 compression
E85 1050 Dominator
Super Vic
Nasty Solid Roller 25x/26x @.050
250 shot plate system
car weighs around 2800
driven on the street of course

I would guess it around 675-700 at the wheels N/A

The only out-of-the box heads that could potentially handle the flow would be AFR 210's (comp) or 227's (race or comp), or the new 235's when they release them. Anything else and you'll have to send out for some port work. The TFS 21 degree heads flows pretty good, but not good enough, and the port is pretty damn small to feed a 427 cube motor.

Ummm, a 25x/26x solid roller in a 427 would NOT be "nasty". A 278/285@.050 in a 383 would be "nasty".

ANd even with a six speed and a 10 bolt you est of RWHP is "off"
Old 05-22-2009, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by roadtrip120
REPLY-
These blocks are not going to be produced for about 3 months (I’d guess). They are still in the 3-D phase of making the tooling. Pricing at this point is basically a guess, but I’d figure on retail being about $1900 ish.
Based on that I think I'll just finish the 383 and maybe think about one as an upgrade if it doesnt last. I don't want to plan on it and wait 6 months for setbacks
Old 05-22-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slownova73
i feel a big *** cubed boosted lt1 in my future!!!
im right there with you :d

Quick Reply: It's official Big cubed LTX block