LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Center bolt valve cover spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Center bolt valve cover spacers?

I kinda had my heart set on using my stock valve covers with my 7/16 pro mags since many are able to just bend/grind the support webbing for rocker clearance, but I have a different problem. The polylocks with my rocker arms touch the cover ceilings just enough to not allow enough squish on the gaskets. I'd like about 1/4" more clearance.

Does anyone know where I might find some center bolt valve cover spacers? Do they even exist? I can't seem to find any anywhere.

I'm thinking about getting some of those centerbolt-to-perimeter-bolt adapters and cutting them for my purposes.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 AM
On The Tree

i just used two rubber gaskets with RTV and that made clearance for my 1.6 pro-mags rockers
Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by beast69camaro
The polylocks with my rocker arms touch the cover ceilings just enough to not allow enough squish on the gaskets. I'd like about 1/4" more clearance.
You most likely have long adjusting nuts. Call your rocker manufacturer and see if they can send you a short adjusting nut.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My 7/16" Pro Mags fit under my clearanced valve covers just fine.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Launching!

My 7/16" Pro Mags fit under my clearanced valve covers just fine.
These are on AFR eliminators. Maybe it's possible the sealing rails are just a bit lower on the aftermarket head castings?

You most likely have long adjusting nuts. Call your rocker manufacturer and see if they can send you a short adjusting nut.
The nuts are the same ones that come with every set of pro mags (actually, these are the stainless "hi-tech versions" because I traded up due to rocker ratio issues....maybe there's a difference). Good idea, I'll call anyway.

It would still be interesting to know if such a thing as center bolt valve cover spacers exist. Anyone?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

These are on AFR eliminators. Maybe it's possible the sealing rails are just a bit lower on the aftermarket head castings?

The nuts are the same ones that come with every set of pro mags (actually, these are the stainless "hi-tech versions" because I traded up due to rocker ratio issues....maybe there's a difference). Good idea, I'll call anyway.

It would still be interesting to know if such a thing as center bolt valve cover spacers exist. Anyone?
Just get some taller valve covers like Canton's.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Village Troll

Are they the PBM's? Part number PBM186-16? If so, I ran these same knock offs and the adjusting nut was indeed taller. There really is nothing in the anatomy of a stud mounted rocker arm configuration that would block you from using these rockers. I solved this by getting HiTech adjusting nuts from Summit.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

I had that same problem and ended up buying GM licensed PROFORM covers from Summit. They're 1/4" taller and solved my poly-lock clearance problem. I preferred to keep the heavy duty polys.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 05-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Are they the PBM's? Part number PBM186-16? If so, I ran these same knock offs and the adjusting nut was indeed taller. There really is nothing in the anatomy of a stud mounted rocker arm configuration that would block you from using these rockers. I solved this by getting HiTech adjusting nuts from Summit.
No. These are Comp Cams rockers and nuts (the "hi-tech" line is basically stainless pro-comps)....

Just get some taller valve covers like Canton's.
Naa I don't like the fabbed look. I just got a cheap set of polished covers from ebay with the alternator notch and holes in the right places. We'll see how they work out.....

I had that same problem and ended up buying GM licensed PROFORM covers from Summit. They're 1/4" taller and solved my poly-lock clearance problem. I preferred to keep the heavy duty polys.
What "heavy duty" polys? Do you know specifically of some shorter poly locks somewhere?

-Josh
Old 05-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Village Troll

What "heavy duty" polys? Do you know specifically of some shorter poly locks somewhere?

-Josh
I highly doubt the adjusting nuts you have are of a normal height. There is no reason why the normal sized adjusting nuts should be hitting the valve covers.

Quick Reply: Center bolt valve cover spacers?