LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What mods can you do to.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What mods can you do to.....

The stock t/b and mass air? I like the look of factory. I dont want the hood to open up and scream race car. The car is a 97 Ramair T/A. What can you do the ram air set up also? I heard Ed Wright runs 9's on factory ram air. So I was just curious all to what you could do to make it as effective as possible.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The factory ram air setup can support quite a bit of power. On the same lines, so can the stock MAF. If I were you, just pick up a 52 or 58mm (requires porting) throttle body.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRUCKIN
The stock t/b and mass air? I like the look of factory. I dont want the hood to open up and scream race car. The car is a 97 Ramair T/A. What can you do the ram air set up also? I heard Ed Wright runs 9's on factory ram air. So I was just curious all to what you could do to make it as effective as possible.
You can have both the factory TB and MAF sensor ported. To be real with you though you probably won't see any gains from either modification unless you've got some big mods done.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Well thanks for your input. I guess I should have stated what is done to the car to even see if anything was even needed. The engine is a stock short block. Fully ported stock heads. 30# injectors Comp cam on a 113. 579int. 583exh. Pacesetter long tubes to a flowmaster with no cats.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Teching In

58mm tb and port the intake, and do a cutout or ditch the flowmasters. I did and gained a tenth. They sound good but flow like ****.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well thanks for your input. I guess I should have stated what is done to the car to even see if anything was even needed. The engine is a stock short block. Fully ported stock heads. 30# injectors Comp cam on a 113. 579int. 583exh. Pacesetter long tubes to a flowmaster with no cats.
Those cam specs don't really mean much without the duration numbers...

As stated either ditch the flowmaster muffler or add an electric cut out.

Porting the intake might see a slight gain. Same with adding a 58mm TB and installing an EWP. You will want to retune your car afterward. Don't touch your MAF.

Some weight reduction goes a long way.

Other than that, consider getting a larger cam (which will require more rpm to effectively make more power) or add nitrous. Both of which would warrant a stoutly built 355+ block that can take rpms and n2o...

Horsepower costs $$$
Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I thought about the muffler. What is the better? As for the cam specs I have to find them. As for the NOS I do plan on hitting it after I get the 12 bolt in. As for weight reduction im really not sure what to take out. I enjoy driving it every where and love the A/C. As the car sits it weights 3620# with out me in it. Its kind of a lead sled for an F-body
Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah I thought about the muffler. What is the better? As for the cam specs I have to find them. As for the NOS I do plan on hitting it after I get the 12 bolt in. As for weight reduction im really not sure what to take out. I enjoy driving it every where and love the A/C. As the car sits it weights 3620# with out me in it. Its kind of a lead sled for an F-body
I'd get something like a Magnaflow muffler and an electric cutout. Much better sound IMO and it will scream when you want it too.

Quick Reply: What mods can you do to.....